3B injector pump troubleshooting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rotary pump does not have a lift pump. Only the inline Zexel pumps do.

You have the pump on top of your fuel filter. That’s it.

Last edited:
Got some clear lines. Fuel going in is free of bubbles, but fuel pumped out is bubbly. I have plenty of extra fuel going to the return.I think the problem is where the top of the pump seals. I removed the top to better access the solonoid. I did not notice any gasket. I bolted it back down tight. Perhaps they use some brown shellac sealant at the factory and I need to reapply and reseal?

Its the transfer pump in this diagram. Its a bit like a power steering pump inside
The blue bit is the bypass or regulating valve as they call it

1605823980188.png

They dont normally use sealant on injection pumps. It can break off inside the pump. Its usually paper or rubber gaskets.

I think this is the gasket you are missing.

22774GASKET, GOVERNOR COVER
22774-54010

Im not sure if the pic matches the part number, its in Russian

1605824576495.png

The part number for the gasket 22774-54010 , is used on the L and C diesels as well. C diesels are in Corrola and Daihatsu 4x4 . It was used from 1982-2007 in some markets, so it wont be hard to track down. Its about $5-6.

I really appreciate the help and information with this. I'll order a new gastket and install it. I hope I can get this things straight. I have no desire to rebuild the IP on the 3B.

Well I can't figure out what is wrong with the 3B. Either I screwed something up, or something is wrong with the injector pump. I'm at the point where my do it yourself knowledge/skills is hitting a wall and it's time to take it to a good diesel mechanic.

To recap: About a month ago while sitting and running at idle it just stopped and wouldn't start back. I traced this to the fuel cutoff solonoid. I replaced the fuel solonoid. In the process I took the top off the IP to be able to better get to the solonoid. Upon reassembly it was acting as if air was in the fuel and I was having fuel starvation. I replaced the filter, put in new fuel lines and clamps, and ordered a new gasket for the top of the pump and installed it. All that and still having trouble. I installed a electric pump inline prior to the filter to help suck the fuel from the tank. It ran at idel today for 30 minutes no problem. I shut it down and it wouldn't start back. If I wait 20 minutes It will start back up..........I don't know what is wrong with this thing. I hope I didn't screw something up like "stretch out some springs" removing and bolting the pump lid back on.

If anyone has ever had these symptoms, specifically starts and runs, but when you shut it down it won't start back untill you wait awhile, give me a clue as to what it was.....
LC's going to a shop soon.

It ran at idel today for 30 minutes no problem

What happened if you tried to increase the RPM?
Did you get around to trying to run fuel to the IP from a container of fuel?

I replaced the rubber lines with new, installed a new fuel filter and added a electric fuel pump to push the fuel to the IP. Same issue. If I let it sit awhile and go out and crank it, it will run and idle fine. Drove it about 20 minutes and it runs fine. Shut it off and it won't start back. No firing and no smoke. Wait 30 minutes and try again and it fires right up....No clue.

Thank you all for your assistance guiding me through this IP learning adventure. I tend to DIY everything. I get it right about 80-85% of the time. This time is one of my 15% screwups. I bought the $20 Amazon made in China 24V fuel cutoff solonoid for a VE pump cummins and it fits and works. The plunger is however longer so I put the original solonoid plunger in with the new solonoid. Therein lies the problem. For some reason the old solonoid plunger would stick after closing for 10-15 minutes after shutdown and then it would free up. So no restart without waiting 10-15 minutes. I thought this was air in the fuel that made the pump "cavitate" until the air floated to the top seperated....I was wrong.. I installed the new solonoid plunger and the magnetic solonoid lifts and retracts it just fine. Problem solved.

I did have some bad rubber fuel line and weak clamps that needed replacing. I did put in a new factory compatible filter. I did every piece of troubleshooting suggested and didn't find the problem.

Here's the troubleshooting step that found the problem. Shutdown the engine by putting the truck in 5th gear and dumping the clutch stalling it out without turning off the key(releasing the fuel cutoff solonoid). If vehicle restarts fine this way, but only fails when you use the key then the problem is the solonoid not lifting the plunger again after shutdown.

One thing I learned and did consider in this process after some thought. In emergency or in a lack of parts/lack of money scenario and you need to use and drive a mechanical diesel with a inoperative fuel cutoff solonoid, or ignition wiring. Simply remove the solonoid,remove the plunger, and then replace the solonoid body. Start the engine and set idle speed as slow as practical. To kill the engine simply put it in 4th gear and with foot on the brake dump the clutch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom