3B in BJ42 High Idle and White Smoke. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I have posed this thread on the 40 series tech also: apologies for the double up.

Need some help with my BJ42.

She is rough (to the point when I have to pull the remote idle knob out to reverse out of the driveway) at idle when cold and idles fast when hot.

Couple of other interesting observations.

Will bellow white smoke when in gear down hill after climbing.
Will not bellow white smoke when snap off accellerator pedal at 100kph, (so hill or load related).

Does not use coolant or oil.

White smoke does not smell like coolant.

Have replaced out EDIC with "better looking one".

Does seem to give off a bit of smake from crankcase ventilation pipe when idling high.

Engine has 365k on clock with head replaced at 280k.
Injectors done at 310k
Servicing done as per normal (oil 5K, filters and oil every 10k).

A mechanic at work has suggested dropped injector or rack return as possible causes.

Am yet to inspect condition of hoses on either side of throttle butterfly for cracks.

Please Help ???

My guess is your pump needs advancing or there is air getting in some where.

Did this come on slowly or suddenly?
Oh and welcome to the diesel forum;)

You need to look at this ASAP, I had the same symptoms with my B motor, (my theory anyway) is that I was running hot, my head cracked and I dropped an intake seat...which the piston tried to pound into the head...I thought the white smoke was the norm, until i put a 3B in, an it ran much smoother than the B...I to had to run with the handle throttle keeping a high idle the first few minutes etc....now the 3B starts up and idles no problem....look into sooner than later.

have you checked the diaphram , my 3b was idling a bit high when warm and a diapraghm change cured it , got rid of the smok at warm up as well .

have you checked the diaphram , my 3b was idling a bit high when warm and a diapraghm change cured it , got rid of the smok at warm up as well .

I would try this too. 25 dollar fix if it works. Just buy a new diapgram from a denso fuel injection shop. No need to buy Toyota.

Part number is in the part number thread I think. Stickied at the top of the page.

Cheers and welcome.

Ding ding ding ding We have a winner. No question about it. $25 from a Denso place or $100 from Toyota. A couple hours of frustration and you'll be golden.

ditto - sounds like a diaphragm. Cheap to do... if a little time consuming for a first install.

Also, check the integrity of your vacuum lines coming from the throttle plate to the back of the pump.

Oh what a feeling !!!

Have changed the diaphram and for the result: as the Toyota ad says in Australia... Oh what a feeling!!! I forgot how sweet the 3B sounds at normal idle... Have been winding idle down for twleve months to counteract this problem... Thanks again for your help everyone.

The diaphragm which I removed has 10 X 2-3 mm diameter holes in it and looks like a seive
One othe thing i noticed was engine oil in the inlet manifold and in the govenor diaphragm housng.

The amount of smoke out of the exhaust during acceleration after the swap is about 20% of what it was and is now nice and black qas opposed to thick and lingering. NO white smoke on compression braking and engine returns to idle during gear changes.

Can post pics if anyone is interested...

Dont be put off by this job, just requires a litle patience and confidence...

Sebas...

hey Sebas

Good to hear everything worked out well!
Pic's would be great. Did u add diaphram oil after the install?

congratulation on the fix. The oil in there is what leaks past the seal on the fuel rail. There is a drain plug that you should open periodically but no one ever does.
new pump.jpg

Yes please post up your pictures....always appreciated :)

ditto - sounds like a diaphragm. Cheap to do... if a little time consuming for a first install.

Also, check the integrity of your vacuum lines coming from the throttle plate to the back of the pump.

This sounds like the same problem on by 2B BJ41. Engine idles fine on start-up, but give it some throttle, then take the foot off and it won't go back to idle and pours out clouds of white smoke. Turn off the engine and start it again and it idles fine, no white smoke.

Is this the diaphragm or is there something else I should be concerned about?

congratulation on the fix. The oil in there is what leaks past the seal on the fuel rail. There is a drain plug that you should open periodically but no one ever does.

great pic .. thank for posting.

This sounds like the same problem on by 2B BJ41. Engine idles fine on start-up, but give it some throttle, then take the foot off and it won't go back to idle and pours out clouds of white smoke. Turn off the engine and start it again and it idles fine, no white smoke.

Is this the diaphragm or is there something else I should be concerned about?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Need help

Can anyone give me a pic of where the diaphram is located and what it takes to reinstall. I just ordered a new one and need to install but dont know how? After warming up my BJ42 is idling about 1500 RPM but used to idle at about 650-750rpm?ThanksRob

Just got my Diaphram in today from 4wheelauto and will be putting it in maybe next weekend but I took the advise from this thread about trying to drain any oil from that screw on the pump and man did I have some in there that drained out!

where do you get those nice rubber lines? do you just get them made at napa?

I have a hard line in place of the one that looks a little hurtin and I would like to replace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom