3B in an 80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
oh i know it can be done...but i still think it would be slower that molases in january...

1988 Ford Grumman Diesel Victoria City, Victoria

if you took the engine outta that thing...now that would MOVE and you would still get about the same milage as a 3b...hhhmmmm i know what side of the fence im on...plus im pretty sure the 4bt is short enough that you dont have problems with the engine height...just a thought

Ya, i think the 3B would be running at the top end of its "sustainable power" for much of its life. But hell, you could stuff a 20R in there if you like... It'll fit too!

oh i know it can be done...but i still think it would be slower that molases in january...

1988 Ford Grumman Diesel Victoria City, Victoria

if you took the engine outta that thing...now that would MOVE and you would still get about the same milage as a 3b...hhhmmmm i know what side of the fence im on...plus im pretty sure the 4bt is short enough that you dont have problems with the engine height...just a thought

The 4BT requires a minimum 4" lift, so add another $1500 to whatever the swap will cost......

The power to weight ratio would be pretty close to a BJ60 - but with a turbo it would be okay.

For similar cost, you can get a decent HJ60 with 5 speed and use that. The power is not much more than a 3B, but it's far smoother and takes to a turbo just fine. I have a few customers with HJ60s up for adoption at reasonable prices.

The HJ60 can be tuned up quite nicely with the turbo system, and if you started with a 2H that was originally in an automatic you'd have a VSV for shutdown (most of them anyways) instead of the EDIC system.

You would need to consider a pedal cluster if you went with a standard... might be tricky to find a LHD pedal cluster.

An auto HJ60 would not be too hard to find, and prices are reasonable enough.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom