3B Help Needed, glow plugs, parts, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 1985 BJ60 and have learned from the PO that he has turn the ignition on and off repeatededly to start the engine. He was told it was a GP relay, but which GP relay, any guesses? I am new to this forum (wow, great info!) Also wondering what my best sources are for diesel parts in California or will I be ordering from a Canadian parts house. Also wondering if I will have a hard time bringing this diesel into California from Colorado where it is currently registered (it was a Canadian vehicle I was told) All and any help/advice gratefully accepted, thanks!

my .02 is that denso parts can be had from any reputable diesel shop that knows and or carrys denso parts. ie, injectors, primerpump, diaphram, etc.

Most other Diesel specific items I like OEM for new.

Did you get that blue 60 out of alamosa?

Last edited:
Could be the glow plug timer too. To short of a cycle to get them hot.

I would suggest replacing all the glow plugs first. Thats the base line. They are between 15 and 20 bucks each.

Then I would do the Milson switch mod.

Go to a manual switch using only the primary glow relay. The thread will explain.

see post number 22--- https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=38416

read the FAQ section as well. Lots of info on here already.

That truck should start with a 10-20 second glow. Then maybe a aftergolw of 5 seconds manually.

Thanks Good information!

Yes, I bought the alamosa truck, were you bidding on it as well? Sounds like the gp mod is the way to go if the stock timer does not do that good of a job. Thanks again!

The way I've been starting my '82 BJ60 is ignoring the glow light completely and simply watching for the voltage to jump back up after the glow times out. It worked great at home in Canada and here it starts first time every time. Of course you still need 4 good glow plugs

To explain the system further. As Cruiser_guy stated.

He mentions about the superglow, waiting for the volts to jump back up.

What that means...the system has two relays. One is the primary glow relay. This is on when the light is lit. After the light goes out a lower voltage relay provides power for an additional amount of time. Its there to make the engine idle nice once you start it up.

Going manual you loose the afterglow effect.

If you wait like cruiser_guy says it will start up a bit better. But may idle rougher.

I personnaly think the way to go is manual. The Toyota timer is way to quick.

Its really a quick thing to do. Just follow Greg_b instructions.

Took me 30 mins about.

cruiser_guy said:
...is ignoring the glow light completely and simply watching for the voltage to jump back up after the glow times out. It worked great at home in Canada and here it starts first time every time....

I always do that way to. You will hear a "tic" when the voltmeter jump. Start good this morning that way with a big -21C in Montréal !

brownbear said:
To explain the system further. As Cruiser_guy stated.

He mentions about the superglow, waiting for the volts to jump back up.

What that means...the system has two relays. One is the primary glow relay. This is on when the light is lit. After the light goes out a lower voltage relay provides power for an additional amount of time. Its there to make the engine idle nice once you start it up.

Going manual you loose the afterglow effect.

If you wait like cruiser_guy says it will start up a bit better. But may idle rougher.

I personnaly think the way to go is manual. The Toyota timer is way to quick.

Its really a quick thing to do. Just follow Greg_b instructions.

Took me 30 mins about.

wrong,
i've installed a two way momentarily switch on mine and i have the choice of the two superglow cycles!
not to be sarcastic:cheers: but i wired mine this way and it works great!
ivanhoe

ivanhoe said:
wrong,
i've installed a two way momentarily switch on mine and i have the choice of the two superglow cycles!
not to be sarcastic:cheers: but i wired mine this way and it works great!
ivanhoe

There ya go! now be a sport and do a write up, eh? ;)

brownbear said:
There ya go! now be a sport and do a write up, eh? ;)

all i did is looked at the wiring schematic :idea: and tapped in the existing wiring connector after i removed the inadequate costly timer. simple as that! :beer:
now if you really want a write-up, i've better get my sleeves rolled up! not a bad suggestion after all!
ivanhoe

ivanhoe, a write up would be a big help at this time, thanks, definitely not going to replace the timer!
warmblood58

brownbear said:

I have not noticed a rough idle unless it's REALLY cold like Edmonton in mid-January at -30 or so.

warmblood58 said:
ivanhoe, a write up would be a big help at this time, thanks, definitely not going to replace the timer!
warmblood58

welcome to the best landcruiser board on the planet!
it's good you have a 85bj60, just like mine. doing a write-up is a little difficult at the moment. i'll try to go step by step. my switch is a three way toggle which reverts back to off position. i use one side for full power and the other side for half power. if you have the factory manual, everything is much clearer looking at the schematic. looking at the unplugged connector;

1 3 4 2
_ _ _ _ _ _ a missing tab in middle

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ all tabs there

1=full power relay feed
2=half power relay feed
3=light
4=ignition

you wire 4 to the off connector on the switch(i've tried wiring my light with a Y connection with 3 but my light never worked for me so you could try it yourself but i do without). then i connected 1 to one side of the switch and 2 to the other side of the switch. and voilà, your wired up. i've used press on connectors to slide over the tabs. the manual system works with the ignition on. you will notice the voltage meter on the instrument cluster movement on the full & half power and now you will know which side the switch is for full power. greg mentioned the black and red wire is full power which i think is the right wire but cannot confirm at the moment. i'm taking notes of my scribling pad as i going along. what your doing is sending 12volts to the relays, pronto!!
hth,
ivanhoe

ivanhoe said:
welcome to the best landcruiser board on the planet!
it's good you have a 85bj60, just like mine. doing a write-up is a little difficult at the moment. i'll try to go step by step. my switch is a three way toggle which reverts back to off position. i use one side for full power and the other side for half power. if you have the factory manual, everything is much clearer looking at the schematic. looking at the unplugged connector;

1 3 4 2
_ _ _ _ _ _ a missing tab in middle

1=full power relay feed
2=half power relay feed
3=light
4=ignition
~

something happened to my schematic of the connector:mad: , let's try it again!

* 1 4 - 3 * 2
_ _ _ - _ _ _ missing tab in middle

ivanhoe:cheers:

Thats great information, thank you! I have to drive this cruiser back from Colorado to California, I will take some tools and do this repair before I hit the road, thanks again, much appreciated!

James

ivanhoe sounds like a good mod, thanks.

brownbear said:
ivanhoe sounds like a good mod, thanks.

the suggestion of adding a resistor to the thermostat sensor is another.

if i recall, the schematic from the engine manual was no where near the actual order. just a head up on the issue.

warmblood58,
double check all connections just in case i burgered up on the clarity of the instructions! the full power will make the voltage gauge dip lower than the half power. i try not to leave it on full power for more than 10 seconds otherwise replacing the glowplugs will cost you some dough!!!! by trial and error, outside temperature will dictate the length of time needed to start the truck. rule of thumb,;
colder=longer
warmer=not as long
hot=might not need any glow power
good luck,
ivanhoe:beer:

ivanhoe said:
the suggestion of adding a resistor to the thermostat sensor is another.

if i recall, the schematic from the engine manual was no where near the actual order. just a head up on the issue.

warmblood58,
double check all connections just in case i burgered up on the clarity of the instructions! the full power will make the voltage gauge dip lower than the half power. i try not to leave it on full power for more than 10 seconds otherwise replacing the glowplugs will cost you some dough!!!! by trial and error, outside temperature will dictate the length of time needed to start the truck. rule of thumb,;
colder=longer
warmer=not as long
hot=might not need any glow power
good luck,
ivanhoe:beer:

The resistor would work in a perfect world. Not when the timer is 20 yrs old. The thing needs to gone.. Your idea with a double switch is good.

But if you need plugs anyhow, I say buy the 10.5 volt ones and glow as long as you want. Stock plugs were 6 volt.

Also if you already bought the NGK 10.5v plugs by accident you might as well use just the hi power relay. The afterglow side will be too small.

My change to manual control was brought on by buying the 10.5v plugs. The timer just did not do enough. I was starting with a cloud of diesel smoke everytime.

Going manual on cool mornings -5 to -10 I glow for about 15 seconds. Start and glow for 2-5 seconds after. The glow after starting is very significant in a smooth idle.

brownbear said:
The resistor would work in a perfect world. Not when the timer is 20 yrs old. The thing needs to gone.. Your idea with a double switch is good.

But if you need plugs anyhow, I say buy the 10.5 volt ones and glow as long as you want. Stock plugs were 6 volt.

Also if you already bought the NGK 10.5v plugs by accident you might as well use just the hi power relay. The afterglow side will be too small.

My change to manual control was brought on by buying the 10.5v plugs. The timer just did not do enough. I was starting with a cloud of diesel smoke everytime.

Going manual on cool mornings -5 to -10 I glow for about 15 seconds. Start and glow for 2-5 seconds after. The glow after starting is very significant in a smooth idle.

i'm comtemplating going that route (12v plugs). half the price than the denso's and hopefully longer life.
ivanhoe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom