Wanted 3B Head Gasket Kit for 85 RHD JDM BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

loeky

SILVER Star
Threads
Looks like it might have come time for this bit of fun. Might not be able to wait until CruiserOutfitters gets a shipment later this year. Searching out here before going to online sites.

Plan to do precups as well, which CO happens to have on hand [yay].

Thanks in advance for any leads.

If you cannot get a gasket kit, almost all of the gaskets are available separately (one PN at a time) through your local Toyota dealer.

I buy and use high end rebuild kits from Australia but still never take the chance with the head gasket, go OEM for sure.

I've still got this one

You must use a Toyota head gasket or you will have to do it again. Not sure on the 3B without looking, but there’s probably a certain thickness you’ll need to buy based on the deck height of your specific engine. Don’t just buy a random head gasket and hope it works😬

Thanks for weighing in - aligned with an OEM gasket and appreciate the insight from the Diesel/70s forums on that.

Will let this marinate for options and look at what 3_puppies shared for if that'll work partially with an OEM head gasket.

You must use a Toyota head gasket or you will have to do it again. Not sure on the 3B without looking, but there’s probably a certain thickness you’ll need to buy based on the deck height of your specific engine. Don’t just buy a random head gasket and hope it works😬

It doesn’t work like that for a 3B.

You could also try Dan at:

or John at:

For visual enjoyment, I have this original 3B head gasket purchased from Toyota back in the 80's. Probably best left as wall art.
IMG_6299.JPG
IMG_6300.JPG

Decent aftermarket stuff from Japan.

I’d run all the gaskets except for the HG and the exhaust manifold gasket.

For the exhaust manifold gasket, I’d run the updated 13B-T MLS gasket.

And not all 3B gasket sets are applicable to all 3B’s.

Double check that Toyota cross-reference PN.

I have the gasket kit @whitey45 posted above. Keep a lookout for the occasional random EBay finds too. I picked this up for $150 a few weeks back:

65245F04-2982-49B8-ADBA-DAF861A39445.jpeg

Hopefully, at least $150 worth of the gaskets work. When I ran the numbers this is what popped up. So, I thought I was good to go.

534F5336-9126-4BA9-BBA7-CA21072D1BF2.jpeg

I have removed the head from my 3b twice this year. (new head and then new pistons/rings). Both times I ordered a new head gasket from Partsouq.com. The head gasket alone is genuine toyota and $66+ shipping and takes about 7 days to get to the US. You can get the complete engine gasket set through partsouq.com as well. Probably could have reused the gasket, but I didn't. Links below are for 2 head gaskets listed for BJ73 of your year model. They are likely 2 different thicknesses. I bought what I believe to be the thicker gasket part# ending 110 because I turbo'd my engine and wanted to drop the compression a hair. Both the thick and thin gasket worked fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom