3B Generation II?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok need help here pls, I'm more of a petrol head but I'm helping a mate who bought an 3B generation II engine.

His plan is to dish the B engine in his BJ40 and install the 3B.

We've done the sub, new everthing: pistons, bearings, sleaves, pump, injectors etc. We knew the head was cracked and found a good condition 3B head at a good price. :mad: Doesn't fit :bang:

I went to a local 2nd hand engine importer to look for a head only to find that the 3B and the 3B II heads are completely different! The 3B tapet cover looks like a 3B /2F cover (Round and smooth). The 3B II head looks like a 14BT head but without the direct injection? The head gaskets on the 3B and 3B II differ as well as the water channels, thus a 3B I will not fit on a 3B II block

The engine came out of a BJ60, 1989. I have read they were available in Canada?

Been searching the net for days. :meh:

Any info on the 3B GENERATION II will be appreciated. :hmm:

Need to find a new head some were in the world as the 3B II was not sold localy. :crybaby:

You're sure its a 3BII you got?

I am pretty sure the 3B and 3BII should be interchangable as far as the head is concerned. I've used 3BII head gaskets on my 3B no problem, for example, so I'm sure the cylinders, head bolts, and water jackets are all in the same place. Yes, the 3BII may have a different valve cover shape, but thats superficial.

I've got a 3BII in my 73 and a 3B in my 42... the only difference appears to be the pump. :shrug:

3BII head IS different in many ways...
you will need to locate 89 or newer version. good luck, very limited production run.
the block is quite different as well...

Heads are completely different, had the 3BII & 3B on the same work bench.

Was thinking of using a 14BT head but the pre-combustion chamber is a worry on the std 3B pistons.

Any info on what markets they were common in, Aus maybe?

3BII head IS different in many ways...
you will need to locate 89 or newer version. good luck, very limited production run.
the block is quite different as well...

hmm, interesting.

It looks like the 3B got a head change after 08/88... but the head still looks identical, how is it different? I don't believe that won't fit on an older block, given that the head gasket fits no problem.
3B heads.jpg

Hmm, actually I may be full of s*** - I think that picture in the EPC is not accurate.

Post 08/88 3BII's do indeed have a new head gasket part number - the one I used on my 3B was for 11/84 to 08/88 3BII.

I stand corrected, looks like post-08/88 3BIIs are an odd duck as Wayne says. Lucky you to have such a special engine. :doh:

For what its worth, I really like the 3BII - I was initially prejudiced because of the rotary pump, but driving the two the 3BII does feel different some how. Quieter, more powerful.

ToyoDIY.com

"Newbe" can't post yet. Have a look on TOYDIY at this VIN: BJ60022706

... I really like the 3BII - I was initially prejudiced because of the rotary pump, but driving the two the 3BII does feel different some how. Quieter, more powerful.

Oh my!

First rchalmers3/Rick and now you Drew.

Yet another stalwart fan of the old reliable ever-lasting industrial diesel sloggers is being converted to inferior more-modern temporary power plants.

Shame on you! :lol:

Perhaps when you mellow with age (ie "lose your hearing" and "shun speed because you feel less in control") you'll once again give your old-school 3B the recognition it derves (for being "the pinnacle of Toyota engineering excellence").

:beer:

i had a 1989 BJ70 ragtop with the 3BII and it WAS quieter, it WAS better on fuel, it WAS more powerfull, it WAS more responsive ... than the 3B with inline pump.

i had a 1989 BJ70 ragtop with the 3BII and it WAS quieter, it WAS better on fuel, it WAS more powerfull, it WAS more responsive ... than the 3B with inline pump.

Right Wayne..... so consider yourself added to my list. :D

Sounds like the 3BII was available in the states and Aus / NZ.

Any good wreakers that might have stock? I think we have the only 3BII in South Africa.

Sounds like the 3BII was available in the states and Aus / NZ.

Any good wreakers that might have stock? I think we have the only 3BII in South Africa.

Never in the States (no 3B's of any kind in the States), but there were some in Canada, Japan, NZ, and Aus.

no 3BII ever made it to canada.
the diesels stopped in 88.
the 3B stopped in 85 (and for years i thought they stopped world wide the same year. man, do we get screwed by Toyota)

I have a 1986 BJ70 hardtop sitting in the driveway with a factory 3B in it...

CDM spec

So how did they stop in 85?

That being said I've never had any luck finding parts for an 86 3B at any aftermarket parts dealer....

that is my bad, it was 85 for the CDM BJ60, the BJ70 still had them... how i forgot about the CDM 70 is beyond me.

Apologies Tasman75 for getting away from the task of sorting out your problem.

As others have said, we believe that you are looking at a narrow range of vehicles for a donor head.

Specifically, I believe you need to find someone wrecking one of the following vehicles made from August 1988 to January 1990:

Toyota Landcruiser BJ70, BJ73 or BJ75, and
Toyota Landcruiser BJ60

Another alternative is a Toyota Coaster BB21 manufactured anywhere from August 1988 through to January 1993.

Hope this helps you.

:beer:

Edit: Maybe you could try these people in Western Australia:

http://www.soltoggiobros.com.au/Parts/TOYOTASTOCKLIST.html

And these people in Victoria:

http://www.toyhatsu.com.au/WebPage/WebPage.asp?Ref=7004

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help. Some more info on the 3BII.
CIS Auto Web's Diesel Land Cruisers

According to the site Canada saw some 3BII's in mining vehicles. But then again you can't believe everything you read on the net :)

Taking into account we have a 3 year window and the whole world to go hunting in we've contacted a local head remanufacturing company

They specialize in rebuilding mining equipment heads. Cat's, Bell's and Komatsu's.

The 3BII has cracks between the inlet and outlet values on 1 & 4. The plan is to machine everything out and rebuild the valve stems and what else in required. Waiting on quote :bounce:

Its not the ideal but it will give us time to continue the hunt.

lostmarbles will give them a shout - :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom