3b fuel priming problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mike

82bj42 1st project
Threads
How long should it take to get fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. I have fuel pressure right up the fuel injector pump, but can't seem to get any fuel pressure beyond the injector pump. The fuel injector pump was bench tested by a reputable diesel shop and certified to be in good working condition. I have manually pump up the pressure and bleed the air from the bleeder screw at the fuel filter. I have been cranking the engine for a good 20 minutes. Any help or tips would be appreaciated. Thx inadvance

mike said:
How long should it take to get fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. I have fuel pressure right up the fuel injector pump, but can't seem to get any fuel pressure beyond the injector pump. The fuel injector pump was bench tested by a reputable diesel shop and certified to be in good working condition. I have manually pump up the pressure and bleed the air from the bleeder screw at the fuel filter. I have been cranking the engine for a good 20 minutes. Any help or tips would be appreaciated. Thx inadvance

Go easy on that starter! Best you bleed the system right through to the pump, undo the slotted hex head bolt on the side of the pump, next to the number 4 delivery valve (injector line screws into)

Jack,
I bleed the system right to the hex you mentioned. I still can't seem to get fuel pressure at the fuel injectors. Anything, else I should be doing. What technique do you use? Thx

Bleed to the filter bleeder first, then the injector pump, then crack all the injector lines at the injectors and turn over the engine on the starter. You should see fuel with bubbles exiting the lines here. Once the fuel leaving looks clear ( 10 sec maybe) you should be able to start it. You can come back and crack them again with the engine running and notice the engine slowing each time you loosen and tighten and injector.

crushers said:
took yah long enough Jack, welcome mate.
cheers

Sorry Wayne, yes I was always told that I was a slow learner at school, guess I just did not get any better as I got older :eek:

lowenbrau said:
Bleed to the filter bleeder first, then the injector pump, then crack all the injector lines at the injectors and turn over the engine on the starter. You should see fuel with bubbles exiting the lines here. Once the fuel leaving looks clear ( 10 sec maybe) you should be able to start it. You can come back and crack them again with the engine running and notice the engine slowing each time you loosen and tighten and injector.

What lowenbrau said......
Also IF it still does not start, take out the glow plugs and loosen the injector lines at the injectors, it will crank far easier with the glow plugs out. WHEN you get juice flowing, drop the plugs in and fire it up.
There is a VERY slight possibility that your primer hand pump has a leaking plunger and COULD be letting air into the system too. Did you replace it?
If not try replacing it, a Bosch one cost me A$16 last time I did mine.

I'm still having problems, she won't start. I have bleed the fuel filter ,the injector pump and at the injectors. I can see fuel coming out at the top of the injectors. The engine will not start, or even sputter. When I removed the glow plugs I can see fuel being forced out through the glow plug ports. I have tried bleeding repeately at the injector. Is there some else I should be doing?
Thx

It still won't start. It sounds likes it about to start but it dose not catch. I'm getting lots exhaust smoke. Any idea's on why she isn't starting. Is the glow plug circuit necessary durring warmer temperatures? I'm considering bypassing the glow plugs circuit. Thx

i will back Bruce's suggestion of checking the timing. i had a 3B that was a "fresh" rebuild when i got it and the bugger was a nasty rig to start. turned out the timing gears were out. took the cover off and lined everything up and it started excellent...
cheers

I did a compression test. I found it needs a head gasket replaced. Where's the best place to purchase a gasket from. What is the price for a gasket set? Thx

I didn't write the compression figures down, but from what i can recall they were in the 275, 325, 350, 360 PSI . Thx

Did you do a valve set before taking the numbers?

I have heard time after time...use OEM head gaskets...

gb

outbackjack said:
There is a VERY slight possibility that your primer hand pump has a leaking plunger and COULD be letting air into the system too. Did you replace it?
If not try replacing it, a Bosch one cost me A$16 last time I did mine.
Hijack...Can it cause the system to suck air.I changed a filter today on a 85 bj60 and now it's sucking air into the system.Runs for 3 to 10 min. used a wix filter first.Then tryed a fram incase it was the problem.I do see some trails of diesel on the right front corner of the tank,But no drips. Rob

Ha ...I now am running with a 4 lt. jug of diesel on the rear sway bar.Guess i need a tank pick up.Hope mikes is running now.

1FE pig said:
Ha ...I now am running with a 4 lt. jug of diesel on the rear sway bar.Guess i need a tank pick up.Hope mikes is running now.

Good you got it figured! That 4L jug will sit in the engine bay above the steering box too!

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom