3b fuel issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've had a bit of a problem with the brown 70 last 2 days. Left for work yesterday, drove 200ft up to the highway, then got through 1st and half of second before it died on me. Figured it must have been out of fuel (although I thought it was a little early for that). So I pushed it back to my road and rolled it back down to my driveway. Got some diesel, re primed it, started it up. Good to go. Ran all day just fine.
Then this morning. Same story, only it let me drive just a little Furthar. Just far enough that I can't push it home. So pushed it off the road, flagged down the first Viking employee I saw (took 10 seconds) and left it.
So anyway I'm guessing it has a fuel leak someplace that's allowing air into the lines overnight?
I'll go screw around with it after work, but if anyone has other ideas let me know.

I've had a couple rusty 70's and the same thing has happened to me. I'd prime it, would run fine for a while until it would start to suck air into the fuel system. I traced it back to the fuel pickup on the tank. The pickup line sits high on top of the tank, holds moisture and dirt until it rots. Drop the tank and check the pickup, not a terribly fun job, but worth a look.
Good luck!

Ditto, seen this on many 60s also.

Yea that's what I was fearing. I also have to change a fuel tank on an old suburban this week. :bang:

I think there was an aftermarket inline filter near the rear quarter passenger side, check that too. Just a thought...

Usually there will be a diesel stain on the outside of wherever the air is getting in.

Good idea, have seen the lines rusted through along the frame also.

check you're return line.
I know a few people who have had issues with it with the same problem.
Good luck

I think I got it fixed. Small section of rubber line off of the tank. It had a spot worn in it from the cab bouncing up and down with no cab mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom