3B fuel issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just took out the old CDM spec BJ70 for a little woods run and ended up limping her home. I had to prime it with the bleeder near the fuel filter until fuel ran clear then closed it and opening the bleeder on the pump until it ran clear (by clear I mean no air)... She would then run again for a few minutes. I assume until the filter emptied and then I would have to repeat the above procedure... I'm happy she got herself home, always makes me a proud LC owner!

Anyway where should I start looking? To me it seems as if the injection pump isn't pumping fuel the way it should... I took a quick look at the lines they look okay and when I would prime the pump it fuel does come out air free and it ran good until the filter emptied and then I had to prime again...

Any thoughts?

Hole in your fuel feed line? Slight pressure in your tank via your fuel fill hose (fuel cap) will push the fuel out of a hole in the feed line if there are any.

Put hose clamps on all of the connections in the feed line as they can easily suck air as well.
g

Check the fuel suction tube coming out of the tank...My truck would stall every so often for about 2 months when I got it, finally narrowed it down to little pinholes in the tube. I used to just bleed the system and all was good.

If it runs fine after you primed it than you injection pump is fine. X 2 on check the fuel line from the tank. If you went wheeling before it started then you may have bent or broken a line or have a hole in the sedimenter.

How old is your filter? Couldn't hurt to change it. You might want to remove and clean out the sedimenter as I have heard a few guys mention they collect more than water. I run a racor instead of the sedimenter as a pre filter and the last time I changed it there was a surprising amount of larger junk in it.

Tony

thanks for all your replies I will let you know the outcome....

buddy, you live in Ontario.
think RUST
now go take a look, if you need a tank i probably have one sitting here.

disconnect the fuel feed line going to the injection pump. Hook up a couple liter jerry can with hose from it to where you disconnected the feed line. Does it run normally now? If so then it is somewhere between your tank and the feed line. Probably a rusted frame mounted line.

HTH's
Daryl

good call on hooking up a jerry can and making sure it runs well off it, I will give it a try tomorrow.. I already have the tank out and although there were some hacked in pieces of rubber line back by the tank and some heater hose for the vent. I didn't see any leaks although I did find a couple original hose clamps that were in rough shape on the feed line... I'm going to clean up the tank a bit and put on some new lines and re install...

Do you have a fill neck for my truck Wayne or know a source for one mine has been soldered in the past and from the look of it will leak again soon...

i was sucking air and was convinced it was the pick up in the tank rusting away or something. i could prime all i wanted but i would still get air. finally i decided to fill a liter of fuel, attach it to several feet of fuel line and hung it high like I.V. line to sick patient, gravity showed me a leak in the banjo gasket right on the lift pump, replaced it and its been running fine.

It's gotta be a leak in the small bit of metal line just behind the motor, I just had it hooked up to a jerry can and I'm still getting air from somewhere...

I am about to order some fuel injection line to replace the couple pieces of rough looking metal sections and the old rubber pieces... Will 180 psi fuel injection line be okay with bio diesel?

yeah its much better rubber than the ol' standard,,, if you can find viton hose thats better yet.

leak on fuel line

i got this problem before... Iv remake all line going from the fuel tank to the injection pump. idling 3 min and then die. replace the injection primer pump. Did'nt work. So i finally change the small metal line from the fuel rail going down to the injection pump and it work. It always corrode on the clamp near the edic motor. A good way, if is your problem is to take a 1/8 rubber line around three feet, disconnect on the fuel rail and injection pump, use hose clamp and prime the pump and see if you got any problem.

Hope this help

I've decided to completely go through the fuel system... No sense fixing one line when they're all old and have sketchy clamps... Figure it's a good time to clean up the tank/ filler neck and straps too...

cheers

Okay, update....

I finally finished putting all new lines on the truck using the good bio fuel compatible fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps everywhere. New toyota fuel filter and new racor filter. Drained the tank power washed, sanded, primed, painted also re did straps and filler neck... Re installed tank, started to purge lines, I was getting constant bubbles... Then I was having a hard time getting fuel at all... Kept priming and priming, fuel would come back with bubbles, then would barely be drawing fuel again??? I opened the vent on the top of my racor, and it was drained way down? I refilled, and it happened again. So I ditched the racor and put a small bent piece of line in it's place fuel purged right away started runs perfect.... The only american made thing on my truck and it's stopping it from running? WTF....

I was trying to find a picture of my racor, it's the type that has it's own primer on top... Which was a mistake to buy, because the thing has never primed well even new out of the box,, when I first installed it I just filled the filter and primed the system...My thought is it's letting air in.... This unit is only a couple years old with the new filter it looks brand new... New gaskets came with the new filter which I lubed with motor oil as the instructions said, everything is tight... I used two barbed bungs for the inlet and outlet which are free of cracks, the hose was tightly clamped on...

In my mind this was the culprit from the beginning. The fuel system needed some TLC anyway, but I would like to get this sorted out... It's probably not a good idea no running a FWS.... I'm email racor right after... Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom