3B Fuel Filter Water Separator Drain Plug Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping somebody can help me with this. I'm looking to replace the fuel filter on my 1985 BJ73, 3B. I've scoured pictures of all kinds of 3B engines on BaT, here, everywhere and none of them seem to have the setup that is in mine. It came with a NAPA SF5089 filter. The previous owner put an oil drain plug in the bottom that has started leaking. I'm trying to find a proper fitting/plug to go on the bottom of the filter. Does anybody have an idea? Is there a different filter I should be using? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

IMG_9356.jpg
eyJ3aWR0aCI6ODAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjYwMCwiZml0IjoiY29udGFpbiIsIndhdGVybWFya2VkIjp0cnVlLCJrZXkiOiJhc3...jpg

New filter does not come with a plug?

New filter does not come with a plug?
No they don't. That's the problem. If you look closely at the stock photo, you can see little holes at the bottom of the threads where a plug would go. I believe these holes are meant to let water pass through to another reservoir. I emailed Cruiser Teq and they didn't have a filter that would fit my particular situation. Thanks for your question, jblueridge.

So the large hole is threaded and there are small holes amidst the threads to let the water drip out when bolt is loosened?
I would buy a new filter then go to a machine shop to see if they can determine thread specs of the drain hole.
Otherwise, get them to determine thread of the filter spin-on attachment hole then look for another filter that is the right size without a drain.
I have made friends with a machinist/fabricator near me and he has saved the day many times.
I still have to pay him though.

Hi
For a 1985 BJ 3B this doesn't look factory.
Mine is same year.
Water sedimenter and fuel filter are separate units on mine.
The sedimenter sits near the firewall, passenger side. This guy, with wiring to the 'Filter' light in the dash.
20230503_175929.jpg

The fuel filter next to IP is just that: A filter cartridge with bleeder on top.
Part OENs Toyota 23303-54071 23303-54072 23303-56031. No sedimenter function. No holes in the bottom.
20230503_175911.jpg

I'd check why PO has modified this. Is the original sedimenter absent or dysfunctional?
Maybe you can just skip the sedimenter function, relay on the factory sedimenter and install a pure filter.

If you want to go with the sedimenter function, it's all a matter of a proper gasket, I guess..
The PO put a universal screw plug, you say.
Are the threads a proper fit to the filter/sedimenter bottom?
Would the head cover the little holes?

I don't think the holes are supposed to stay open to drain onto whatever is beneath (or not).
I think, the reservoir is build-in.
I rather think the holes are supposed to be covered and the plug/cover to be removed at times to drain any water (service activity).
This sedimenter has no signaling, though.
》Maybe you inquire with NAPA on how their device is supposed to work.

If the screw plug generally fits the thread, all you'd need is a respective sized gasket then.
The stock foto shows a gasket. Do you have it? Regardless the plug, would it cover the little hole?
Probably a composite oil drain gasket with a bit of sealant (Hylomar or something) would do the trick.
I also have good experience with cutting a gasket from an old bycicle tube. (My radiator cap has such a gasket for 15kkm now).
Good Luck Ralf

Hello Ralf,

Thank you so much for your ideas. I have the sediment filter on the firewall like you do. It was disconnected when I bought it. I bought the truck from a guy in Idaho who had only owned it for a few months. It originally came from Poland. So who knows why it doesn't have the factory set up on it. I will keep searching for a fuel filter that fits.

There's an ebay add for the filter and the pump. It looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you, OG Beno, you are very helpful. That looks like it might work. I guess I would need to get 84461-60040 to screw into the bottom of it? It seems like the drain would hit the radiator hose.

fuel-filter-water-sensor-84461-60040.jpg

Last edited:
Ah. That makes sense. The pump is on top and the sender unit is missing on you. Thank you @OGBeno for your advice. Learned something again.
But the 1985 3B doesn't have a harness connector in that spot to wire up the sensor.
Probably that's why the PO simply plugged it.
Cheers Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom