3B Flywheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted up in the 60 section for some help, but thought there might be some different suggestions here. I am trying to remove a flywheel from a 3B motor. So far nothing. Any tips, tricks or ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

What exactly is the problem? I use a prybar/block of wood to brace the flywheel against the frame rail, and then break the bolts loose with the jiggle gun or or breaker bar if I had my Wheaties.

Those bolts are pretty meaty, they can get good and stuck. When using a breaker bar I usually end up sliding acorss the floor trying to pull on it. A 4lb sledge on the end of the bar usually clears things up...

Last edited:
Bolts won't turn

I can't get the bolts to turn one bit after locking the flywheel. It is as simple as turning a screw, but the screw won't turn. I should double check with you guys that the flywheel bolts are 19mm? Guess I was hoping for a magic bullet here. Guess its time to hit the gym.

Last edited:
I can't get the bolts to turn one bit after locking the flywheel. It is as simple as turning a screw, but the screw won't turn. I should double check with you guys that the flywheel bolts are 19mm? Guess I was hoping for a magic bullet here. Guess its time to hit the gym.

Air impact gun 1/2 inch drive removes them easily.

Jim

I've also been known to use a floor jack underneath the end of the breaker bar for really stubborn bolts. Something will let go for sure if you do that, with luck it'll be the bolt.

If it has been apart before someone may have used loctite on the bolts, heat em up.
And work from one side of the bolt pattern across the center (pilot bearing).
Will give you a slightly better chance at loosening them.

Thanks

Guess its a good time to invest in a compressor/air system. Will post once I get them out. Definitely time for new bolts all the way around. Anybody know what the metric pattern is on the flywheel bolts?

A torch and some heat man, works evervytime.

I love air

Thanks to all for the help. Got myself a compressor and some air tools and my jobs will become much easier now. Hit the bolts with the air rachet and presto out they came. Now onto the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom