3B Engine/Trans/TransCase re and re weight on engine hoist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Just doing a remove and replacement of my 3B engine in my cruiser. I took the engine transmission and transfer case out in one shot originally. When I removed the engine I did not have the engine leveler. Now that I do have it, I was wondering about the weight and safety of the setup. The leveler is rated at 1500 lb and from what I understand the complete assembly of engine, transmission, and transfer case weighs about 1,100 pounds. The leveler also came with four chains to mount to the engine but in this configuration I'm hoping to use only two. Photos attached of the setup. Let me know what you all think of this. Is it safe or an all-stop?
IMG_20200506_150854.jpg
IMG_20200506_150924.jpg
IMG_20200506_150937.jpg
IMG_20200506_150944.jpg

You will be ok. I thought the engine and gear box weighed between 350-450kg. You have a 1500kg attachment point and a 680kg lifting beam.

Thanks for the input! I figured it should be based on the numbers. Just wondering about the chain and shackles. Leveler came with with 2 chains and shackles per end. Was wondering if the 680kg rating required all 4 chains to be accurate or if 2 carried the same capacity. Did a gentle test lift and seems fine but need quite a bit more altitude to get her back in the truck!

I have what looks like very similar equipment and I lift 2Hs complete with trans/transfer attached. I've done it 4-5 times with the same equipment.. you will also see that my boom is extended further than yours.

1588816419345.png

1588816699243.png

Last edited:
I used this to lift out a 3F and 5sp and instal a 1HZ and 5 sp. Did it easily. I had it on the 1.5t 1500kg mode like you

robs pics 056.jpg

Next time I will use the 1T lifting point and have more room around the front

I have what looks like very similar equipment and I lift 2Hs complete with trans/transfer attached. I've done it 4-5 times with the same equipment.. you will also see that my boom is extended further than yours.

View attachment 2298044

Thanks for the input! I figured it should be based on the numbers. Just wondering about the chain and shackles. Leveler came with with 2 chains and shackles per end. Was wondering if the 680kg rating required all 4 chains to be accurate or if 2 carried the same capacity. Did a gentle test lift and seems fine but need quite a bit more altitude to get her back in the truck!
Usually 4 legged slings are required to be able to take the load on 2 legs. Its sort of impossible to get all 4 slings taking the load evenly. If you want to get techinical , you have to go into the angle of the sling legs etc. Who ever brings these things into Australia has to guarantee the safety of the item.
Safe working load of lifting chain (aust) .3 x the diameter of chain link squared x grade number of chain. I think that is about 1/4 of the failing point of new chain with no wear.

Once you get going, if the leveller doesn't seem up to the task there is a better version rated at 4000 lbs. It's a lot more robust than the 1500lb version. Here is a link to it on amazon (I bought this one and was happy with it). You could probably pick this up at most parts places, they seem pretty common.

Amazon product ASIN B01L8V9LP4

All went well except the leveler hitting the firewall. Needed to adjust the chain lengths but managed to get it in. Thanks for the feedback!

All went well except the leveler hitting the firewall. Needed to adjust the chain lengths but managed to get it in. Thanks for the feedback!

Nice work well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom