3B engine + H41/TC - what's a fair value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Before listing this for sale, I'm looking for your opinions on realistic asking price

Back story: I bought a pair of 60s (an '86 HJ and a '84 BJ) as a package deal, one with a great body but no engine, the other a rusty body and frame, but a decent running 3B. The PO's plan was to swap the 3B into the good chassis, but he stalled out and never got it done.

I've got a great 2H in my rusted '87 chassis, so I'm going to simply transfer it into the good chassis.

The 'spare' 3B has about 312000 miles on it; it had been pulled to prep it for the new truck, but he said it checked out, with respectable and balanced compression (having been talking to him over the course of a few months of negotiating, I'm inclined to trust that he did actually do the comp. check); he had replaced the glow plugs and some other minor items prior to pulling it, then fresh oil seals in the transmission and TC once removed.

So, what is this engine/tranny/TC/wiring harness/accessories worth? For someone looking to convert an FJ, this would be the ticket.

If anyone is interested in it, drop me a line corvidesign1 (at) gmail.com Delivery is a possibility, too.

Thanks for your input

Pete

Last edited:
How do you know the it's an H41 vs an H42?

Does the engine have A/C or power steering?

Yes, power steering, no A/C.

Don't know definitively that its an H41; somewhere in the foggy past I recall H41 being more typically mated to B-diesels, but that's all I was going on. What is the sure-fire way of determining the type? (assuming no past swapping occurred - not likely, IMO) VIN?

EDIT: so, what I can surmise from digging around in past conversations is that the transmission is most likely an H42, as this is a Canadian market BJ60 I've got, and (supposedly) H41 were never installed in North American vehicles. I'll look at the firewall ID plate in the morning

Last edited:
If you can pop the top plate off the trans and do a visual inspection the H41 has a much larger first gear. Otherwise you can put the trans in first, spin the input or output shaft and count the number of turns of the opposite end. This will allow you to calculate the gear ratio.

If your trans has the extension housing between the main transmission case and the splitcase transfer then you have an H42. At some point in the 80s the 60 series was available with a 4 speed and a 5 speed in the same model years. Toyota added an extension to the 4 speed to make it the same length as the 5 speed so they could use the same engine mounts and driveshafts for both versions. I do not think there was never an H41 produced with the extension housing.

You should post the compression numbers. "Respectable" compression is a matter of opinion.

Location? 12 volt?

This is a 24V engine, located near Toronto, Canada

More backstory: I bought these two 60s almost a year ago, so any details the PO may have told me about the '84 parts truck are fuzzy at best.... the two trucks came as a package, but I really had no interest in the '84 with the 3B/manual trans. It was just part of the deal, sand I paid it no attention, being focussed on the '86 with the good body and frame (the '84 shell is still with him, 5 hours away from me).

However, now that the question about the transmission has been asked (H41 vs H42), this morning I dug the '84 firewall ID tag (that matches the ownership docs he signed over) out of the box of receipts and documentation, and to my surprise it says "C/TR/A/TM 474FB41K052H55F", which implies I've actually got an H55, not a 4-speed.

He and I did not talk much about the 3B/tranny as I wasn't interested in it other than to eventually sell off to top up the project fund; I guess I assumed it to be a 4-speed because he didn't point out that it was a 5-speed. He was pretty new to cruisers, so he may not have even understood how significant the H55 can be.

I've sent him an email to try to get some clarification; he's on rural dial-up and does not use the 'net like most of the rest of us, so it might be a few days before I hear back.

Pretty easy to tell if you have a five speed from visual inspection. There's a shaft on the top side of the transmission that comes from the aluminum top plate to an arm in the extension housing. The 5th gear shift fork is in the extension housing. An older four speed won't have the extension housing and the later four speeds will have the extension without a shift lever.

Without compression numbers available but knowing that kind of mileage I'd guess the engine is worth $US1000 and the trans is worth $750 to $1000 if it's a 5 speed. If it's a 4 speed you might have to give it away. I base these guesstimates that the whole setup is a likely candidate for a rebuild.

Pics attached, bit of a blizzard out there, please excuse the snow, had them plastic wrapped until now.

Based on your description, Rufus, it is an H55: no extensions between it and bellhousing or TC, and the shaft coming off the upper side does connect through

H55.jpg

H55 -.jpg

If it's a 4 speed you might have to give it away.
I remember [crotchety voice on] "...back in the 90's" [crotchety voice off] when going to a 4-spd was all the rage (or was that the 80's?) I've recently given two four speeds away.

FWIW, I paid $2k for a 3b and H55 last year, and it was a crap shoot (still is)on if the combination was good or not. So Rufus is close with his estimate.

Dan

An H55 HAS an extension housing. That's where the 5th gear is. You do not have an H55.

Sorry, I think I used incorrect terminology: when I said "extension", I meant 'spacer', as in the spacer that the later H41 had to bring the OA length to that of the H55.

From what I see (in one of the photos), there is no separate piece between the transmission and either bellhousing or transfer case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom