3B Died in Reverse on a hill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trucksplusinc.com
Transplanted a 3B non-turbo with H55F in to an old gasser FJ60. Used a Racor seperator mounted on the firewall. Put over 1500 kms on the conversion and no problems at all. The other day, pulled down a steep driveway. Truck was fine going downhill front ways, then reversed backwards out of driveway and truck cut off 3 times before I got to the top. After I was back on the road truck ran fine. Had a Full tank of diesel, and lines did not loose prime as far as i can tell. Any clue??? Thanks.

Low oil pressure...

~John

That would be the automatic EDIC shutoff connected to the "other" oil sending unit then. I have noticed, like on many engines, the oil pressure gauge goes all the way down at low speed or idle. I dont guess there is any real fix to this problem, if thats the cause.

That would be the automatic EDIC shutoff connected to the "other" oil sending unit then. I have noticed, like on many engines, the oil pressure gauge goes all the way down at low speed or idle. I dont guess there is any real fix to this problem, if thats the cause.

You have to make sure that you have enough oil in there. It takes about 7.5 to 8 Litres to fill the crankcase. If you're low on oil, or low on pressure, the EDIC will shutdown the engine. It takes some pretty severe angles to cause cavitation of no oil flow...

Check your oil levels first and foremost. Even moderately healthy 3Bs with 500,000 kms have enough oil pressure to keep going at extreme angles.

~John

The driveway, if not paved, would require 4x4 to get up, pretty damn steep. Engine has about 230 kms on it. Other than low oil pressure, any other thoughts?

low oil pressure x2 I think the aluminum cresant that goes with the oil pump wears out first and causes these symptoms

does anyone know were you can find a new timing gear cover? (so the creasant is not worn)????

other than that a fuel leak but you'de have trouble starting

My oil pressure gauge stopped working, but my low oil pressure shut off still works...

When my engine is nice and warm, and i start it on the lowest idle setting, <600, it will shut itself off.

-Fantastic.

did it start right back up again? Go get a mechnical gauge, so oil pressure isn't a guessing game...

Other things can potentially cause this, like wiring issues, or a faulty edic... but I agree with these guys it's most likily the oil pressure shut off!

Check the wire to the low oil shutoff sender. It could be broken inside the wire casing and cutting out under vibration and clutch chatter on the steep grade. Solder would be a cheap fix. Good luck…

Thanks for all the advice. Took one year build this truck to the week, this has been the only time I have had a seconds trouble out of this project since running. I paid very close attention to detail while performing the swap, and over serviced the engine prior to install. I love the 3B/H55F combo. This truck will run 113 kph or 70 mph at 2600 RPMs, that sound about right to you guys??? I am using a BJ dash cluster with stock tach and replaced the speedo cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom