3B coolent leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I think i'm gonna be sick

After starting my cruiser moving it 20 feet off the grass onto the driveway and shutting it off, a pretty good size puddle came out of the block somewhere, around the frost plugs and block heater look dry. I can see it sitting on the little ledge on the picture below it looks like it is coming out of a small crack maybe something that is supposed to be there with a gasket. I dunno, she is still running good and havin't overheated it. I have had a small amount of coolent leaking from my 20 year old rad, but nothin to major at all maybe a quater sized puddle. This is my daily driver, and whether I have to bring it to Crushers or another closer shop, I need to get this fixed before winter, even if it is gonna be with a new motor. I have to figure out something.

Someone please give me some advice!
DSC00716.JPG

it is leaking out of the back of the water pump gasket or the bearing is gone in the water pump, the fluid runs back the pully and drops down and runs along a lip then down behind the injector pump.
with the engine off, grab the fan and move it up and down and side to side, pull one side forward and the other back, top out and bottm back and reverse the proceedure. if there is any play then there is a good chance that the water pump bearing is on it's way out.
cheers

it is hard to get my hands in there, but I can't feel any play, I just took her for a 10 km run, got back and theres the quarter sized drop under the rad and nothin under the truck. WTF is going on.

I am pretty sure it has never had a water pump, maybe it would be a good idea to tackle the job sooner then later. I will go try to move it some more. Is it a hard job to do?

go buy a water coolant pressure tester for $100 and pump up the coolant system ti 16 LBS and leave sit for a couple minutes. the system is designed for 13 lbs so if you have any leaks this will show them quite quickly.
this will be one of the best $100 you will spend for your truck.
cheers

will do, where do you pump it up, car quest or NAPA will have em right?

I think it doesn't leak when it is hot because the gasket swells stopping the leak, thats the only thing I can think of, and I don't think my rad leaks at all it is just that gasket leaking a bit and the fan blowing it onto my rad making it look like that.

I dunno

do you drain a fuel water sparator on the bottom, do I just loosen that bolt?

make sure you take the truck with you so they can sell you the proper kit. you remove the rad cp and pump it there. make sure you release slowly...

so the coolent doesn't spray all over me!

What if it leaks, should I buy a gasket or a new pump? Remanufactured from 4 wheel is 135, and I have two caliper core to send him that will pay for it.

depends where it is leaking from, if from the back of the pulley then a pump and if from the back of the water pump a gasket but since the work is the same i would replace both at the same time and be sure...

I agree, thanks for your help and quick replies.

cheers

Eric Winkworth said:
so the coolent doesn't spray all over me!

What if it leaks, should I buy a gasket or a new pump? Remanufactured from 4 wheel is 135, and I have two caliper core to send him that will pay for it.

and a NEW one from toyota (last time i got one, few months ago) is only $138, and we call it the "stealership". 4wheel is waaaaaay overpriced. shop around.

good luck

crusty

serious? Thanks for the advice, but if he give me 85 bucks each for my hurtin old caliper cores I am gonna get it from him regardless

it actually is new for 135 not remanufactured sorry for the mix up, and it is OEM

crushers said:
go buy a water coolant pressure tester for $100 and pump up the coolant system ti 16 LBS and leave sit for a couple minutes. the system is designed for 13 lbs so if you have any leaks this will show them quite quickly.
this will be one of the best $100 you will spend for your truck.

Bought mine about 20 years ago, I use it after hose changes ect. Exellent tool for checking on small coolant leaks.

Eric Winkworth said:
serious? but if he give me 85 bucks each for my hurtin old caliper cores
OEM

sorry to be off topic,
but whats hurtin with your calipers? also could you not re oring them clean them up and have spares?

I bet they are pretty expensive new. And having spares might be a great idea.

Its probably just a few orings and they are almost new.

Can't say I have rebuilt any auto ones. But on Aircraft usually its a few orings on the pucks and that all.

We normally rebuild when they start to leak slightly...

they are hurtin because they have 19 cdn winters in them and 270000 cdn kms, and yes from the toyota dealer they are expensive in the neighbor hood of 500 bucks each, but from 4 wheel out referbished ones are 125 bucks, I should have taken a picture of them, they look brand new, perfect, seriously perfect. I still can't get over how they looked, ready to bolt up with pads and everything. Pads alone from toyota were around 100 bucks. I can take pieces off my old cores of with my fingers.

If you ever need calipers Dan is your man, you won't be dissapointed!

found a pic of the calipers, not a great pic but you get the idea!
DSC00574.JPG

I had a leak that I could have sworn was from the water pump in my BJ70. So, I scraped up my knuckles and re & re'd the water pump spending 3 hours scraping off the old paper gasket (the Toyota one comes with a metal gasket). It still leaked.

Later when I pulled the engine for the rebuild, it was a frost plug behind the fuel pump.

Get a coolant tester for sure...then check ALL of the frost plugs.

By the way, NAPA wants $125 for the coolant pressure tester anf $135 for the adapter. I got the adapter at Princess Auto for $6.00

Craig.

$135 for a peice of plastic adapter? i thought i paid $100 for everything... $6 is pretty good, i guess i need to spend more time at Princess Lotto...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom