3b blue smoke and rough idle after mtn pass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the vague title.
Back ground, its a Bj60 with a 3b, turbo with t25. Rebuilt engine a year ago, 40k kms on the rebuild, replaced to mls head gasket 20k kms ago. 495K kms on the truck. Cylinder head was not rebuilt. Running 10-12 lbs boos, egts under 1000.

Went up a mtn pass on saturday (highway 20 in Wa state) not a huge pass and did about 12 times last summer, with never a problem.
Noticed was running warm going up, but not terrible, was a warm day, had AC on off and on. When I got to top, I stopped for kids to play in the snow, and let it idle to let the turbo cool.

Noticed right away idle was slighlty rough, like missing, not terrible, but definitely there, and a fair amount of blue smoke. I tried to pretend to be happy while the kids played, and let it idle 5 minutes, it continued to do this, not worse or better. Then shut it down. There for probably an hour, and with restarting was still doing it. No knocking or anything else, just a mild rough idle and blue smoke, like if it was a cold start. I had no choice but to drive, so drove a little ways, stopped and it seemed better, but still slight blue smoke.
I drove the 200kms home, and no problems, normal temp, power, etc. It didnt do it when I stopped later, and hasnt after driving it several times yesterday, and a 60km drive this am, it was fine.

Any ideas? I drive this everyday, and never had this before, but has me worried.

Following the other thread on here right now with the 13bt with the rough idle when warm.
A pic just for fun.
IMG-1722.JPG

Thank you!

I experienced the exact same thing when I went skiing a few years ago. I was certain it was my head gasket but as soon as I came down to regular altitude the rough running went away. A year later we went skiing again....same thing happened. I think it's a combo of cold thin air but I'm not a 100% certin. Under load it ran fine with normal egts, it just idled weird. It's the only time I've ever experienced it.....and I know very well the pretend to be happy feeling.

Mine started idling weird and the 4 screws that hold the cover plate for the diaphragm were hand tight. Worth a look.,

Any ideas? I drive this everyday, and never had this before, but has me worried.

As Gerg had the same experience a year apart and you say the problem has gone away, I would stop worrying. I cant explain the effect of cold air at altitude causing it, but its sounds plausible.
Just a guess, it could be the pistons and rings cooling down quickly and contracting leaving the block/bore expanded and allowing a little oil into the combustion chamber.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Greg I thought of that, but it was that cold, and Ive done that pass probably a dozen times in the last year, and its been alot colder when Ive been up there?
(fortunately kids didnt hear me swear when we stopped, but did hear me pray before we left lol)

Its about 5,500 feet.

The head wasnt rebuilt, maybe valve guides and what rosco mentioned above?

Ive got several long road trips planned with kids this summer so just want to try to prevent anything.

thanks again!

If you are concerned, do a compression test . I think you will be ok.

Thanks everybody, Ill try not to worry lol
and Ill check the diaphram screws, easy check like you said, thanks.

Something I didnt write before, but after checking my oil level I thought it may be part of it.

After the engine was rebuilt, I didnt know about breaking the engine and setting the rings, etc. After a several thousand kms, I noticed I was losing a quart or so of oil whenever I did long road road trips. 1 quart for a 1000km if I did mountains or fast freeway.
From my understanding I had glazed the cylinders, when I did head gasket I scotch brited the cylinders to remove a fair amount of carbon buildup, ( I should of had them rehoned looking back) And then drove it hard up a big hill several times.
After that my oil consumption was much less to none, then it began to creep back up again after 7-8k kms, I gave up, and just check the oil frequently, and add as needed.

Would this have anything to do with it?

Also, anybody used this stuff? Couldnt find anything on search.

Something I didnt write before, but after checking my oil level I thought it may be part of it.

After the engine was rebuilt, I didnt know about breaking the engine and setting the rings, etc. After a several thousand kms, I noticed I was losing a quart or so of oil whenever I did long road road trips. 1 quart for a 1000km if I did mountains or fast freeway.
From my understanding I had glazed the cylinders, when I did head gasket I scotch brited the cylinders to remove a fair amount of carbon buildup, ( I should of had them rehoned looking back) And then drove it hard up a big hill several times.
After that my oil consumption was much less to none, then it began to creep back up again after 7-8k kms, I gave up, and just check the oil frequently, and add as needed.

Would this have anything to do with it?

Also, anybody used this stuff? Couldnt find anything on search.

I think your clearances between rings and cylinder wall is too much and thats why you have blue smoke. When you said the engine had been rebuilt I assumed the bores had been done to the next oversize. Your oil usage points to that. I doubt its anything to do with glazing.

It was resleeved, and new cylinders, all parts from Radd cruisers, hes a certified diesel mechanic and done several 3bs, and landcruisers. The oil consumption didnt start till after probably 7-8k miles. I am no expert here, only going off what ive been told, but it seemed the oil consumption was due to not breaking in properly and likely glazing

If you have a compression problem, then altitude will show it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom