3B aiternator??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i did a conversion from fj to bj using the 3b. while the motor is running the alternator is not charging the battery. my fj wiring harness plugs right into the alternator but my volt meter reads only 12v and lowers if i turn the lights on or the blinker. any advice?

Did the alternator come with the 3B? Everything grounded correctly that you are aware of? Are you reading the 12V at the alternator or voltage regulator? I'm no expert, but confirming the basics will help those a lot more knowledgeble than I to troubleshoot this for you. Cheers.

the alternator did come with the 3B. i am reading from the battery when the engine is at idle. you would not happen to have any pics from your alternator would you?

Does the FJ have a separate voltage regulator? Many of the Canadian 3B's had an integral voltage regulator as part of the altenator. Maybe you have two regulators?

how do i know if the alternator is internally regulated. does anyone have any pics of the correct wiring of the alternator?

Did the altenator come out of a Canadian spec. BJ60? If so, I'm almost positive it is internally regulated. In any case if you take the small metal cover off the top you'll either see the brush holder ot you'll see the regulator on top of the brush holder. The regulator is a small odd shaped box maybe 1/4" thick screwed to the brush holder. It may or may not have numbers on top depending on if it is original or an aftermarket replacement.

on the top of the alternator there are two nuts holding a cover down under the cover is the regulator followed by the brushes (two pieces but held together by 2 screws) the combo is held in by two bolts you can get a alternator shop to check the regulator and replace the brushes (if worn)

the regulator looks like piece of aluminum two bolt holes dim: 3/8" thick X 1.5" long X 1" wide roughly sorry no pic there are 2 wires i think not sure how many its been a while

thanks for the pics i still really have no idea what i should have. i took the truck for a the first spin since the conversion at night and the interior lights were really dim i probably drove for about a mile. before the drive the battery was reading 12.45 after the drive the it was reading 12.38.

cruiser guy i bought the motor form cruiserparts. they told me it came from australia.

cruiser guy i bought the motor form cruiserparts. they told me it came from australia.

Were you expecting 24volt? All 3B in Australia are 12V

You'll need to physically check the altenator then. There is no way to state for sure whether there is a regulator or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom