3b 4spd into hj60 auto help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title suggests I'm looking buying a hj60 that is an Automatic but the engine and tranny are gone, the seller has a 3B engine and tranny waiting to be installed.
I've tried searching through here and have seen comments of what needs to be done like:
- moving the tranny brace
- engine mounts
- Rad hoses
- Clutch
- 24v hj 60 with the 3B 12v engine.
- Any other issues I have no idea about

I'm asking help on is all these elements. If anyone has done this swap , your help would be greatly appreciated. Or anyone with any information would be awesome.

Trying to figure out if I buy the truck, do I continue with the swap? or find a 2B engine and auto tranny and through that back in. But the seller is saying he was told that the 3B is a way better engine then the 2B .

Thanks in Advance

24 volt starter and EDIC for starters.

THANKS GERG! Seller says he has a 24v alternator and starter. what is a EDIC? I apologize, I am a newbie to swaps.
what about the glow plugs? because of 24volts do iI have to worry about that?
thanks again

Ahh yes the glow plug system will also be designed for 24 volts. you can also bypass the system if you wish to a simple switch which many folks do. Myself included. The edic is the electronic diesel injection control. it is the shut off feature for your fuel pump and is a small motor on the side of the engine. there is also a small matchbox sized controller that lives in the passanger compartment that controlls it.

Ahh yes the glow plug system will also be designed for 24 volts. you can also bypass the system if you wish to a simple switch which many folks do. Myself included. The edic is the electronic diesel injection control. it is the shut off feature for your fuel pump and is a small motor on the side of the engine. there is also a small matchbox sized controller that lives in the passanger compartment that controlls it.

I'm confused ....so the 3B that is going in is 12V. what is this simple switch you are talking about? sounds like this will work out , but like I said I am new to swaps so i appreciate you letting me pick your brain about this.

Yeah, so do a search for "wilson switch" and you will see many threads on it. Really it just is a hot wire to a switch that goes directly to the glow plug bar. Sometimes people put it to a relay so as to not over lead the switch, but I use 15 amp switches and get alot of current and have never had a switch fail on me. So you press the switch and current glows the plugs... you release the switch and the current stops. I think my 5yr old could wire it in honestly its so easy. You loose that cool auto ignotion glow feature, but all of the stock glow relays fail eventually so its good to put a switch in just as a back up.

Use a momentary switch for the Wison switch mod so you don't leave the switch on by accident and cook your plugs.

Use a momentary switch for the Wison switch mod so you don't leave the switch on by accident and cook your plugs.

Sorry. I said "release" because I use a spring loaded button style momentary switch, but any style that automatically switches off does work.

Last edited:
aweosme, so I'm getting the feeling this truck and the swap is for me!
really appreciate it thanks guys

So now keep in mind too that whole trucks lighting and wiring is designed for 24 volts though. Heater fans can be swapped too fairly easy. The front one drops with 3 screws. Is a dead simple swap. The rear I think would be easier to do as a whole unit. Lights are all 24 volts so would have to be changed out. Signal relays.... Ect.

so i should be changing the voltage on the whole truck from 24v to 12?
i figured you just leave the truck 24v and modify the 3b engine somehow. or is that possible?

You could convert the engine from 12 volt to 24. That would be the alternator, EDIC motor and starter. Would probably be more simple. Although running a 24 volt truck is irritating with charging issues I've heard. Some folks run 12 volt converters to add radios and other 12 volt things. I kind of wish others would chime in on this cus honestly electrical is not my strongpoint.
G

Just my input keep it 24V it is hard to find the 12v parts you need to swap out yes you can recoupe your cost by selling the 24V parts which are hard to get these days but I like the 24V it is very reliable some complain about the headlight tap to 12v but most of mine are 24v on the headlamps except my CDN 42.
Also you have to make sure all relays and switches that are 24v rated have to be changed out for 12v.
The only drawback I can think of is with 24v you run 2 batteries which have to be matched for longevity as soon as you mix batteries you start to run into uneven draws and charging which eventually leaves you with a weak battery and no startie.

Just my input keep it 24V it is hard to find the 12v parts you need to swap out yes you can recoupe your cost by selling the 24V parts which are hard to get these days but I like the 24V it is very reliable some complain about the headlight tap to 12v but most of mine are 24v on the headlamps except my CDN 42.
Also you have to make sure all relays and switches that are 24v rated have to be changed out for 12v.
The only drawback I can think of is with 24v you run 2 batteries which have to be matched for longevity as soon as you mix batteries you start to run into uneven draws and charging which eventually leaves you with a weak battery and no startie.

So how do I keep the truck 24v and use the 3B engine ? that's how i thought I would do the swap if i bought this truck. my preference as of now is to keep it that way. i don't want to be changing out relays although i do have a fj60 truck I can tear apart and use , That's how I will have all the parts to convert the truck to manual as well.

And what is "headlight tap"? i have no idea

also , AGAIN i want to thank you guys . this is why IH8MUD forum is the go to for help!

I miss read the 24v HJ and 12V 3B part of your post.
You have two options convert the 3B to 24v or find a 12v FJ harnes for the HJ and stay 12v with the 3B.
The tap used on the BJ42 somehow pulls 12v from the battery for just the headlights I still don't really understand it but it was something the Toyota engineers did for the Nato specs and it seems to work with no real effect on the batteries.
As for 2B vs 3B I have no pro/cons since I have both and don't have any issues to pit one against the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom