37's with no lift ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phxds.com
Hello all.
I have finally found 3 good and 1 ok 37" cooper stt tires.
I have them mounted on tundra rims.

Can I successfully mount them on my rig? and drive around town ? as long as I dont go off road untill i get a lift?

or is it just not gonna happen.

If not, what all can i get away with, to at least beable to drive around town with them.
Right now I have an uber tight budget, so if I can safely peacemeal something togeather for cheep, that will hold me over untill tax season, Ill be fine.
I need a poor mans lift :hillbilly:

Maybe a set of 2" coil spacers,
or just let em rub a little going over the speed bumps .

Also, will I be needing wheel spacers running with these rims?

Thanks
-Ron

I doubt you'll be happy, 35's barely clear at stock height. But, sounds like you're in a big hurry to get them on, so let us know how it goes!

sounds like a plan. at least I can look at it in the drive way. I dont drive it much anyways, just back and forth to grandmas house.
Plus it will free up some space in the garage.

Ill give it a try and let you know.

Thanks
-Ron

I'm thinking about going 37s with a 2inch and trimming. Also, different cruisers have different size coils, and there is a color code. They are three dots, and also there are some with more wraps on the coil. I can't find the chart that tells what they are, but some sit lower stock. I don't know the reasoning or years other than the fact that my 91 had some of the tallest and my 96 was shorter.

I ran 35's with NO rubbing at all on the road stock. They were 1250 wide, and on fj cruiser rims, so they sat in 1/4 inch more. What is the backspace on the tundra rims?

Hello all
To report back, the 37's fit. Ill throw up some picts later.
There was minor rubbing at the front bumper plastic sides (which I took off)
minor rubbing at the front sidestep covers (which I also took off)
and for what ever reason, I rub on the exhaust in the rear (Will take care of that tomarrow)

I dont know what the back spacing is on the tundra rims, but im running the 37x12.5x17 cooper stt's on a 7.5 " rim.

over all, Id have to say that im happy with it, after I take care of the exhaust rubbing, ill take her out on the hwy and see what happens. One thing I noticed right away, is that it doesent seem to sway side to side as much as it did with the little tires.
now alls i have to do is save up for a lift.
any one have any comments or opinions about the MAF lift: 4"comp. coils in front and 3" j's in the rear so you get a level stance.
80 Series Level Stance Suspension Kits

Thanks.
-Ron

I already took off the flares before I took her on her maden voyage up to crown king. thanks to you kevin, I still have them in like new condition. :cheers:

I think the 1" spacer would probably fix my exhaust rubbing.

I think the 1" spacer would probably fix my exhaust rubbing.

Agree. If it is just touching, isn't likely to do any damage? Just pull the pipe over with some wire temporally?

any one have any comments or opinions about the MAF lift: 4"comp. coils in front and 3" j's in the rear so you get a level stance.
80 Series Level Stance Suspension Kits

Thanks.
-Ron

My first choice and by far the most common here is; heavy rear, J front springs with L shocks. For the econo kit, just buy springs and shocks, then fab everything else.

cool, that sounds like a plan, that would save me lots a $$$

and you say,. I only need 1 set of shocks for the front, and use the stock shocks for the rear?

... is the heavy rear the same a the j shock? or just the 2" rear shock. ?

and in the future, do I want to also get the j rear shocks? to replace the oems?

Last edited:
I run a two inch with stock shocks. I'm going to change it soon, but it works. I run Ironman from camel4x4 too, (which I know is not OME) however, they are cheaper and really good springs.

Also, on the exhaust, I chopped the cats out, put in a new magnaflow three way with a flex coupler, chopped out the muffler and welded the stock resonator back in. Sounds really good at low RPMs.

only reason i was looking at the 4" front 3" rear is cause, if this tax season is good to me (which it should be) Ill have my cummins installed in her, Already have a guy ... Randy ellis design over at 31st ave and indian school. (he has also done some work for petersons 4wd mag.) time frame to remove and install will take 1 week (3-5 days) and then will just have to wire her up, add a new exhaust, and fab the f&r drivelines, and a small mod to the fuel tank.
Since I still have the engine, trans and transfer case just sitting in my garage, might as well finish my project.

in the mean time, for what.. $400,.. ill have 8 months so I can have some fun and get out of phoenix and actually wheel my rig.

cool, that sounds like a plan, that would save me lots a $$$

and you say,. I only need 1 set of shocks for the front, and use the stock shocks for the rear?

... is the heavy rear the same a the j shock? or just the 2" rear shock. ?

and in the future, do I want to also get the j rear shocks? to replace the oems?

A full set, L shocks all around.

only reason i was looking at the 4" front 3" rear is cause, if this tax season is good to me (which it should be) Ill have my cummins installed in her, Already have a guy ... Randy ellis design over at 31st ave and indian school. (he has also done some work for petersons 4wd mag.) time frame to remove and install will take 1 week (3-5 days) and then will just have to wire her up, add a new exhaust, and fab the f&r drivelines, and a small mod to the fuel tank.
Since I still have the engine, trans and transfer case just sitting in my garage, might as well finish my project.

Here we go again! From, 02-24-06, it will only take a month or two!:eek::hillbilly:

Hello All,
Ive been talking about doing this for a while now. I am going to start this project sometime next month. When depends on weather or not I can find a place to do it. Right now, I cant do it at my house because of the HOA.:mad: I cant do it at my work, Cause there closed on sat/sun.:frown: I have one other place that might work, but I wont find out untill tomarrow. If not, im up for suggestions.

Most likely, as soon as I tear my 80 down, It wont be finished (On the road drivable) for a month or two. That will give me 8 days a month to work on her.
1 day to strip her,
1 day to locate where to mount the engine/tranny mounts, install the engine/tranny, hook it up and start it.
1 day to install the body lift, and reasyemble most of the beast.
1 day to find out what im going to do about the tansfercase.... can I reuse the Toyota one with an adapter to mate with an automatic dodge 47re? .. Or do I have to buy an Atlas?
1 day to send out the drive shafts to be sized (or just buy new ones), and install them, install the transfercase, and new front bumper to match the body lift.
1 day to leangthen all the lines and cables under the body. put the hood on, install the snorkel, check the wiring.
1 day to start it, test drive it, and fix any bugs.
1 day to take her on a run, bring her home.. and have a party.:popcorn: :beer:

Can it be done, Sure it can. Will it be this easy/fast probably not... but Im gonna try anyways.

I can use all the help I can get. If you want to and your able.

Oh, by the way... Do you think it would be easyer to just remve the body off the frame first, Then do all the work... Ir would it be better to mount the diesels & motor rmounts while the frame is on for a better/more accurate fit?
Thanks,

-Ron

I agree with this part!:hillbilly:

in the mean time, for what.. $400,.. ill have 8 months so I can have some fun and get out of phoenix and actually wheel my rig.

yeah, but this time it will be different :rolleyes:

all though, .. I did remove the drivetrain in a day :D
I would just rather have someone else mount and weld the new drivetrain in. so its straight. and so it gets done... but ill cross that bridge when I get there.

as far as pricing. springs seem to run 170 a pair, and shocks 105 a pair.
since I will need all 4 shocks, that will bump the total to 550. vs about 445.

Im sure if i shop around., i can prob get it all for $500.

Check with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters he is a straight shooter. Man-it-aint-free is known to inflate shipping, etc. Also watch for used in the classifieds.

When can we look forward to pix of 37"s on a stocker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom