370,000 Miles...Too Many? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, you're delusions go way beyond vehicles I see!

:flipoff2:

There's loads of threads where people come and ask advice on should I buy this cruiser or that.
Many are totally clueless about vehicles in general. And go into buying them with rise coloured glasses on.

80s and landcruisers in general are not cheap one way or another.

If you have to pay someone to repair or maintain them they can bleed you dry!
finding a shop that's good solid knowledge on them is a whole other ordeal.

If you're capable of wrenching on it yourself, and buy with eyes wide open, they are tough and reliable, good to work on, and fun to drive. You might even manage to redeem your man card if you steer away from Heeps :hillbilly:

Oh, and there's a right knit group here in mud. They'll give you flak, and also bend over backwards to help, online and on the trail, or in other ways, but ya gotta be willing to help yourself too. The more info you can give with questions, the more help you'll get.

There's no issue with these trucks that hasn't been figured out at some point in the last 30 years.
And there's countless inane questions (should i buy this truck, his much is this 80 worth, should i buy triple locked, and how long is a piece of string) that are repeated daily.
Absolutely agree with all these points. Especially the bold underlined ones. Mud is a huge resource, the guys and gals here really do a great job of helping others out. They are also especially good at throwing the mud, I have been the recipient more than once. This is a guys club for the most part. Busting of balls is part of the culture and there are some experts at it here.

Again, as stated many times, these are not cheap. Saving money, especially when funds are short, is tempting but through experience, myself and many people on here buy strictly Toyota parts where they can for a very good reason. They last. Buy once, cry once.

Paid $5800 for this is 2016 with only 307,000....

The odo says 363,xxx but I've had larger tires than stock for 6 years.....

OG head gasket no less

PXL_20230613_161811337.jpg

Cruiser Bridge 72 (1) copy.jpg

Last edited:
This happened over the weekend.

IMG_2397.jpeg

• 20K+ miles on all Toyota fresh 1ZF-FE long block (nothing was reused except valve cover which I didn't know was still available, doh!)
  • Coolant was leaking from cyl 6 at 278K so got busy
  • Took about 6 months and $30K to source parts, coordinate with machine shop + LC shop for the engine transplant which included other while-in-there work
The best thing about it is zero engine oil consumption and more power, full stop. Like climbing the Grapevine I-5 S left lane I let off the gas because much more modern cars aren't choosing to go faster than me lifted on 37" mud terrains.

Knocking on wood, I'm forecasting that this thing will outlive me or we'll get to a point where CA DMV will not allow me to operate the vehicle. The only thing I truly worry about is other humans (i.e. theft and accidents).

Last edited:
This happened over the weekend.

View attachment 3348268

• 20K miles on all Toyota fresh 1ZF-FE long block (except valve cover which I didn't know was still available)
  • Coolant was leaking from cyl 6 at 278K so got busy
  • Took about 6 months and $30K to source parts, coordinate with machine shop + LC shop for the engine transplant which included other while-in-there-work
The best thing about it is zero engine oil consumption and more power, full stop. Nostalgia is a powerful drug.
your dash makes mine look filthy

I paid $4500 for my 1994 with 365k on it and possibly the OG head gasket. But it’s rust free, everything works, and it runs like a top. Slowly tracking down and trying to stop all the leaks. I bought it March 30th of 2023. There are deals out there if you’re patient or lucky. I’d rather be lucky 🍀

Last edited:
Two 1500 landcruisers side by side with less combined mileage and the one is triple locked granted one is for parts it has 137k to fix another 95 triple locked that I paid 1600 for

View attachment 3348262
I over paid for all my clapped out shat, so nothing constructive to add here, I’m more of a buy hi sell low kinda guy… whatever costs the most and takes the longest…. That’s what I want…. FML…

IMG_2574.jpeg

DONE, as in done with your Chardonnay? Do LC guys actually look down on Jeep guys? I'm not brand loyal and drove a Tacoma for 12 years before it got wrecked. I like Toyotas just as much as I like older Jeeps with the I6. If it bothers people I won't ask anymore questions though.
I laugh at all the CA and TX folks that are screaming about "rust".

I'm in the Midwest and I know there are folks on the East Coast that REALLY know what rust is

I agree that rust-free from those area is the perfect thing to do.

Depends on your tolerance for rust and what the intended use of the truck will be.

I watch these threads and the pics of the "horrible rust" on them, then I look at my own truck that I think is "in pretty good shape" and they would be telling me it's ready for the scrap heap.

If you want it and you think the price is right, go for it.

Everyone here wants a prefect rust-free (or at least as close as @COYS truck may be) for $500. Then it will only take another $1500 for it to be perfectly mechanically sound to drive on the toughest trails and take your girlfriend out for date night.

Mine is my DD. Yes it has rust. more than I'd like. It's just one more thing that I need to deal with and do more to slow it down. Some day I will either throw a chicken through the holes or chop up an old stop sign and use sheet metal screws to cover the holes so the kids don't fall out while driving.

If you want it, buy it. Rusty means more labor hours fixing broken bolts and screws and having to cut and patch holes in body panels every 10 years.

Personally, I think $10K may be a bit high, but I wouldn't sell my 96 with 345K on it for $12K. Even with the rust it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom