37 tire fittment on soa 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
I searched the archives on this one but was looking for opinions on my particular situation. Vehicle: 73 fj40, SOA, front axle cut and turned, 3.5 BS wheels, stock springs. From the archives it seems that even 37 tires will rub on a SOA 40? My rear wheel wells are trimmed and I am running 33's now which look somewhat dinky. I want to go right to 37's as going from 33's to 35's is not much of a difference and well I would like to get my $'s worth and not have to go to a larger tire later, tires are expensive! Anyhow, if I were to go to 37's how much do you think I would rub and where? Is this rubbing easily fixed by throwing in another leaf to the leaf pack on the front and rear springs? If this is the case, I will just go for it and add a leaf later when I change out the bushings. If someone can post a pic of my cruiser I would appreciate it so people can use it as a reference of what my lift looks like. Thanks.

Noah

fa909b0c.jpg

Here is a picture of your rig. Nice looking truck!

I didn't post a response because I want to know the answer to the same question. I want to get a set of 37" mtr's but not sure if they'd fit without additional lift.

The SOA on my 40 doesn't seem to have any issues w/ 35's. I can't see any reason that 37's would be much diff. Only talking an inch taller from the axle anyway. I would guese that the main issue would be how much you suspension flexes, but bump stops should stop that.

BTW, my next tire purchase will be 37's or 38's.

As Flyfish said, I think how much flex your gonna have is gonna be a key. I run a SOA on a 78 FJ40 with FJ 55 stock springs in the rear and stock 40 springs in the front (reversed). I have 37x12.5" Swamper SSR's and they rubbed pretty bad originally. The amount of flex I have led to 1.5" wheel spacers on all four tires to keep the tires out of the tub sheet metal in back and away from my tie rods and steering arms in front. Also have done a fair amount of trimming with the jigsaw both front and rear to avoid rubs. If your not going real flexy, they will ride fine, but tweeked out off road, I'm guessing your gonna need to do some trimming. Borrow a jigsaw and you can get a real nice cut and make even trimmed fenders look good ;)

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

I'm running 35s with no rub to speak of. Once in a while they touch in the rear but only if I really crunch it down hard in a ravine bottom or something like that. My next tires will be 37 or bigger.

Hey Phlyfish,

what springs are you running on your SOA? old stock 40 springs?

Also, a friend told me that BFG goodrich mtr's are actually smaller than other same sized tires, meaning that a 37 BFG MTR is actually around a 35 inch size when compared to other 37 inch off road tires. Any truth to this? or anyone who has had this experience?

noah

38.5x14.50x15-SX swamper....

Don't even waste your time with anything else...

Get the tires, and make them fit.

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=1973Guppie link=board=1;threadid=10613;start=msg95414#msg95414 date=1075087554]
Hey Phlyfish,

what springs are you running on your SOA? old stock 40 springs?

Also, a friend told me that BFG goodrich mtr's are actually smaller than other same sized tires, meaning that a 37 BFG MTR is actually around a 35 inch size when compared to other 37 inch off road tires. Any truth to this? or anyone who has had this experience?

noah
[/quote]

There is truth in this. I was running a set of 35" goodyear wrangler mt's on 8" wheels and they measured almost 34" NEW! bfg radials are no better...There are few tire manufactures that make a 'true' 33, 35, 37 and what have you.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom