36" w/OME J's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and read a number of old posts.

I noticed that there was at least 1 80 with J's, 20mm spacers and 36" Swampers.

What about 36" Swampers w/ J's, without the spacers? I ask because I'm not a spacer fan.

My 35" BFG's mud TA's work fine with the J's alone. I have not had rubbing issues yet. Of course I'm not wheeling as much or as hard as I used to in my 72 40 which is waiting for a complete rebuild that has been put on hold for 1.5 years now since my last start again date after several years sitting and is probably going to have to wait another 1-1.5 years, minimum.

So I'm trying to focus on gradually completeing the 80 build first, since my 80 is in 1 piece unlike my 40 which I stripped down to the chassis about 7 years ago and was distracted by whitewater kayaking. It's also taking me a while to decide how I'm going to put my 40 back together this time.

I am also considering the Slee 6" for the 36's. But this is going to have to wait until after I have sliders, rear bumper, 12K Warn, 4:88 or 5:29's, snorkel, roof rack and a few other miscelaneous items. The sliders are next in line.

Another thing I'm considering is breakage. I've run 38" TSL's on the 96 Tacoma I used to have before I bought my 80. I decided against the SAS on the Tacoma since I decided to get the 80 instead. Sure enough the 38's used to break stuff on the Tacoma. I've always run 35's on my Cruisers for about 14 years now, except for the first 2 years that my 72 40 was stock. I've had good luck with the 35's not breaking stuff, of course there have been a few days when more rubber would have made things easier. So I'm trying to decide if I should stick with what's worked the best overall. I have'nt built any strictly trail Cruisers yet since I like to be able to drive them on the road wherever I may go. Even with my Tacoma, the first year I had it I put about 30,000 miles on it driving it to the mountains on the 38's to kayak all of the time.

Trying to decide...

Friend has J's with 1.5" spacers in the front and 315 (35") tires. He rubs in the rear more than I thought he would. So, you can fit 36" tires, but you'd rub more if you did anything off road.

I'm running 13x36-16 bias TSL's on J springs and 20mm of spacers. In my opinion, the spacers are needed. Without them you would have to use far too much bump stop to make it worth running the bigger tires.

LukeO said:
What about 36" Swampers w/ J's, without the spacers? I ask because I'm not a spacer fan.

Just out of curiousity why the :rolleyes: above statement?

Just out of curiousity why the above statement?

Because, spacers kinda fit into the same realm as body lifts for me. As in, they work but may not be the best approach, of course J's w/36" may not be the best approach either which is why I asked in the first place. Besides, I'd rather have to explain to the wife that I really do need the Slee 6" springs.

stuck in GA said:
Yeah you should be fine with 36's on J's. Just increase the bump stops a little. Go for it.

What the heck would you know :doh:

Luke,
Having run J springs with 20mm worth of packers and 36" TSLs for 3 years worth of solid wheeling - I'll vote that the 20mm are required. Even with them the bump stops have been lowered.

If you are unsure, then try it without or try it with and remove one 10mm and go to 5mm etc. I have plenty of packers in the garage if you want me to send you some.

With my setup I came oh so close to catching tire on flare but never did.

going to that size of lift and tires will there be daily driving issues about how it handles on the road?

noah91fj80 said:
going to that size of lift and tires will there be daily driving issues about how it handles on the road?

Depends. I had made a lot of changes to my truck and it handled better then it does now that I've taken it back to stock to sell it. Other changes included dropping the sway bars, dropping the bump stops, creating front bump stops, running other front control arms, longer brake lines, lengthened panhards and upper rear control arms etc. this is not a complete listing.

I first went to 36s and decided I would do what I had to in order to make them fit. At first everything was fine but over the long haul I started to put in the other corrections like panhards and front control arms. After those changes it drove super both offroad and on road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom