36 Hours of Uwharrie - August 2017 - Running a 1994 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud,

Good day.

This August we will be running a 1994 80 series in the 36 hour of Uwharrie race. We ran a 2004 100 last year. 36 Hours of Uwharrie - Race 100

The 1994 has a 6 inch lift and 37's. Arb front bumper with warn zeon 12-s, sliders, rear bumper, etc. 4.88s, HD Birfield's and axle kit, locked front and rear.

The weather last year was 85 degrees at night and 95+ during the day. The vehicle will be stressed as we do each event as quickly as possible.

What spares would you bring? What would rebuild a month before the race? Birfs? The truck is not driven daily and will be tested in June at Uwharrie.

Are hood vents recommended for heat dissipation?

What about cooling system upgrades? Any recommendations on different radiators? It is hot out there and hardly any shade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would discuss the race with anyone that is interested for tricks and tips that really help.

Thank you,

uzj100

Last edited:
Can you provide a more specific list of your current load out and what has been done to the vehicle PM wise. I think people will be able to provide better feedback if they know whats already there and how long ago it was done. Each drivers needs are going to be different. If there is alot of slow or static portions of the race something to look at would be a pusher fan to help with cooling. Do you winch alot? Something else to consider would be upgrading to a hydraulic winch if you are doing alot of pulls continuously. List can go on but a full load out will help make better recommendations.

Working on the PM list now.

Winching should be less with 37s. There was one long pull as an extra event.

When we ran the military trail with the 100, I had to jump out and pull line 1 time. That truck was on 33s.

There are slow and static portions and sitting and waiting.

The load is minimal as we carry recovery gear, a high lift, a spare, a canoe on the roof, and food and drinks. Most tools stay at the camp site during the events. Repairs are made back at base camp.

Pm the cooling system and drive smart and id say you'd be fine.

Id not stress over hood vents vs a well maintained system. Cheap and quick option would be hood spacer at back edge. Fancy would be a mister in front of rad. If its in good shape i think youd be fine skipping both.

Check rear heater lines. Bypass if questionable. Leave in place if seem good as that can be part of your heat dump if temps rise. That said a scanguage/ultraguage would be smart just to watch water temps cause by the time you see red on oem guage in an timed event youll be too hot.

Lube ujoints and cary a spare rear shaft as swapping that will be quicker than a joint repair

If birfs are not clicking then just check grease level and wheel bearing preload. Adjust as needed and bring home the gold.

I can't remember seeing a vehicle WITHOUT hood louvers there. The only long pull I can foresee is the "new" Daniel, and like mentioned earlier.... extra driveshafts! Good luck.... "Rock" on!

First time I ran there......105 degrees.....so be ready! *thats with 85% humidity also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom