35's only (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of getting 35's for my 97 with steel rims. Not swampers (Junk). I just wondered what balance and rebalance problems any of you are having on the road and what tires your running.
Bill

Not swampers (Junk).

Wuss :flipoff2: :D

You shouldn't really have any balance issues Photo..... if you're worried about it, get it done by a place that will redo it free of charge. Personally, for your type of driving I would not go the equal route.

I'm running MTRs and have no balance issues at all. So far I've been quite happy with these tires offroad, and they're pretty comfortable on-road (considering they're MTs). My only complaint has been wear. About 75% of their use is on-road and they appear to be going pretty quick. At this rate it looks like they'll only last about 20k.

Chris,

Which BFG?

I'm running MTRs and have no balance issues at all.  So far I've been quite happy with these tires offroad, and they're pretty comfortable on-road (considering they're MTs).  My only complaint has been wear. About 75% of their use is on-road and they appear to be going pretty quick.  At this rate it looks like they'll only last about 20k.  
Since steelies are so cheap, why not have two sets? Thats what I'm runnin on my 40, 33" TSL's on a set only for wheelin and when I feel like takin a poser shot :-*. And then the 10 year old 31" Yokohama yo mamma Super Diggers for the road and daily driving. At 20k a set of tires the extra set of steelies would eventually pay for themselves. Call up desertrat.com and see what they can do for ya, they have some kick ass prices on mounted and balanced tires shipped anywhere, not sure of they do 16" rims or not though.

Crusin,

Factory steelies are not cheap, that is what Photoman and I both run. they are over a hundred bucks a piece wholesale.
Also, Photoman goes on EXTENDED journeys often exceeding 10,000 miles. Swaps don't work for him.

Good thought though.......

Crusin,

Factory steelies are not cheap, that is what Photoman and I both run. they are over a hundred bucks a piece wholesale.
 Also, Photoman goes on EXTENDED journeys often exceeding 10,000 miles. Swaps don't work for him.

Good thought though.......
I thought Keep could benefit from the swapping, 20k is pretty sad, TSL radials last that long. &nbsp:Does no one make cheap 16" steelies? 15" steelies with 3.5" backspacing can be had new for $35 a pop.

Chris,
Would it be possible for you to measure the tread width on your bad boys. I'm running the muds now in 285 and was disappointed in the width coming over from the AT's. If someone had the AT's in 315 and would measure also we could compare. The manufacturers don't seem to publish tread width, just cross section width. I would like to stay as wide as possible to float my heavy boat.
Bill

Bill,
FWIW, the tread width on my beloved DISCONTINUED :tear: GY 305/70/16 MT is 10 inches.

No, not MTR's this is the MILSPEC directional tire. (maybe that's why I like them soooo much :dunno: )

Chris,
Would it be possible for you to measure the tread width on your bad boys. I'm running the muds now in 285 and was disappointed in the width coming over from the AT's. If someone had the AT's in 315 and would measure also we could compare. The manufacturers don't seem to publish tread width, just cross section width. I would like to stay as wide as possible to float my heavy boat.
Bill
Photo - just email them and ask them. They'll usually get back to you the same day. Now of course Interco will actually let you talk to someone important :flipoff2: Go Swampers. :D

I thought Keep could benefit from the swapping, 20k is pretty sad, TSL radials last that long. ÊDoes no one make cheap 16" steelies? Ê15" steelies with 3.5" backspacing can be had new for $35 a pop.
Rock Crawler wheels does.

Cruisin,
Keep in mind there is another part of the rim equation and that is the diameter of the bolt pattern. I did not see where your link indicated what the bolt pattern diameter of those rims are. The 80's are 6 lug with about a 5 1/2" on center bolt pattern. When I bought my steelies several years ago I checked many places and could not find any aftermarket rims with that bolt pattern diameter. Actually, it's possible to use your idea now for some of us that bought 1 set of steelies. We could use the stock alloy rims for daily driving and use the steelies for off-road. For me two sets of tires is impractical as C-Dan pointed out. Thanks for the thoughts.
Thanks Chris!
Bill

Sure thing, just tryin to help. I'll probably (hopefully) some day be helping to feed C-dans dogs and asking beo for some beonese on knuckle repacking ::) :G.

I would agree with Keep on the MTR balance issue. I've had mine rebalanced only once since they were new. I'm getting much better wear, though. Currently have about 16k and it looks like they will go another 16-20k easily.

Bob

Keep and Bob,
If one of you guys get a chance could you measure what the tread width is on your MTR's. Thanks!
Bill

Bailey,

>> asking beo for some beonese on knuckle repacking <<

I'll be happy to give you a beonese rant on the benefits of intellectual preparation aka homework. :G I'll cut you some slack this summer but come September you'll get an earful.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom