1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35's on an F

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tlcgear, Jan 26, 2004.

1. tlcgear

tlcgear

I am doing a SOA and want to run 35's, will be installing a dual T-case system form inchworm gear, but I have an F. anyone running 35's on an F ? if so, how does it do on the road and the trail.

- Thanks.

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Ran 33's and 35's with an F engine for years. Works fine both on and off road. It will not win any stoplight races on the street, but if you are doing that with a Land Cruiser and an F engine, you need your head checked...

Good luck!

-Steve

3. hammerhead

hammerhead

One of my neighbors has a couple Fs over 33s and says it's fine. Like Steve says it's no drag racer but I'm sure you already know that.

4. 73cruiser

73cruiser

I run 36's on my 73 with F motor and have no problems.

5. Archengine

Archengine

I run 35's on my F and it does suprisingly well. An F in proper tune should make nearly as much power as a 2F. It's a great engine. I can ride my torque up hills in 4 lo without applying throttle. And I can acelerate quick enough for my intended purposes. I can pass well on the highway, and have no complaints, for what it does, it does well. Going through the mountains with my 3.70's I always have to downshift, but it gives me more time to take in the scenery! FYI though, I'm not stock, but give it a good tune up, and I would suggest some 4.11's or higher, as I'm going that route myself soon.

6. tlcgear

tlcgear

Thanks for the help. And I wasn't planning on racing anyone :D

7. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

What gearing you planning?

8. tlcgear

tlcgear

I'm planning installing a second transfer case . Here is what they say in their website.

"The Inchworm double transfer case adapter adapts the gear reduction box from one Toyota transfer case to the front of a second Toyota transfer case. The two gear ratios multiply to give you 2.28 x 2.28 = 5.2:1 with both cases in low. This translates into an 83:1 low range with the Inchworm double transfer case adapter as opposed to 36:1 in a stock truck. The adapter plate is machined from solid billet 6061 T6 aluminum and the coupler shaft (not shown) is machined from a factory output shaft. The adapter plate and extra Toyota reduction box (sold separately) together are about 6 3/8 inches long, so driveshaft length modifications are required. An extra hole in the floor of the cab is also necessary to make room for the 2nd stick."

And accoding to them you don't have to modify the drive shafts. installation instructions http://www.inchwormgear.com/htmlonly/instructions/instructions.htm

http://www.inchwormgear.com I'm working on developing a more user friendly site for them.

- Rico.

9. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

33's on a old tired F with a 3 spd, no problem, can do 75 down the highway all day, and around town is not bad. 35's couldn't be much worse, especially if you happen to have a 4 spd.

10. tlcgear

tlcgear

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=10638;start=msg95774#msg95774 date=1075174395]
    35's couldn't be much worse, especially if you happen to have a 4 spd.
    [/quote]

Nope, just a 3 speed.

11. sambudo

sambudo

35's all day no problem! On the road going up hill, you will need to down shift. Over all not bad. Off road, they work well!

12. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=10638;start=msg95726#msg95726 date=1075169332]
    I'm planning installing a second transfer case . Here is what they say in their website.

"The Inchworm double transfer case adapter adapts the gear reduction box from one Toyota transfer case to the front of a second Toyota transfer case. The two gear ratios multiply to give you 2.28 x 2.28 = 5.2:1 with both cases in low. This translates into an 83:1 low range with the Inchworm double transfer case adapter as opposed to 36:1 in a stock truck. The adapter plate is machined from solid billet 6061 T6 aluminum and the coupler shaft (not shown) is machined from a factory output shaft. The adapter plate and extra Toyota reduction box (sold separately) together are about 6 3/8 inches long, so driveshaft length modifications are required. An extra hole in the floor of the cab is also necessary to make room for the 2nd stick."

And accoding to them you don't have to modify the drive shafts. installation instructions http://www.inchwormgear.com/htmlonly/instructions/instructions.htm

http://www.inchwormgear.com I'm working on developing a more user friendly site for them.

- Rico.
    [/quote]

This is for a minitruck tcase...

13. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

"33's on a old tired F with a 3 spd, no problem, can do 75 down the highway all day, and around town is not bad. 35's couldn't be much worse, especially if you happen to have a 4 spd."

Holy crap, my F must really be in bad shape then. I have major power problems with hills on my 33's.

14. Outback

Outback

CruisinGA....

How in the hell do you keep that "F" together at 75 mph!!??!! Better question yet...

HOW MANY RPM ARE YOU TURNING AT 75 MPH !!??!!

I'm running 33's on my very fresh '72 "F"/3spd/4.11's and am turning ~2800 RPM at about 60+ ish MPH(via GPS). I was told that extended time spent at above 3000 RPM was not good for the "F" series engines. I figure I would be turning closer to 3500 RPM to do 75!! Not good.

15. Archengine

Archengine

I'm at around 2800 rpm at 75 mph with 35's and 3.70's. I like to be able to go 75 on the highway, so I need to get an overdrive when I get my 4.11's, oh and power steering.