35’s and 4.88s on a 3-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious as to how 4.88s would perform with 35’s on my 3fe fj80. I’m putting a 3 inch lift on soon, and will be ready to buy tires soon. 33’s and 35’s (actual size 34.6) are what I’ve narrowed my decisions down to. will it be able to conquer most trail and cruise 70-80 on the highway which I’d need to get to those places?

Go 5.29’s. Just did 4.88 on a customers rig with a 1fz Trd supercharger, To make home happy about the power and 35” tires.

35" tires by the numbers, standard transfer case gearing:
Standard 4.10 axle gears - Engine under-revving by 9.6% relative to stock - reduced torque.
4.56 axle gears - Engine almost perfectly back to stock revs & torque.
4.88 axle gears - Engine over-revving by 7.6% relative to stock - increased torque.
5.29 axle gears - Engine over-revving by 16.6% relative to stock - increased torque.

35" tires by the numbers, standard transfer case gearing:
Standard 4.10 axle gears - Engine under-revving by 9.6% relative to stock - reduced torque.
4.56 axle gears - Engine almost perfectly back to stock revs & torque.
4.88 axle gears - Engine over-revving by 7.6% relative to stock - increased torque.
5.29 axle gears - Engine over-revving by 16.6% relative to stock - increased torque.
your overly simplifying your equation. larger tires more rotating mass, more power needed to be back to stock... 4.88 or 5.29 min like I said 35" with SC 1fz 4.10 still not happy 4.88 with SC makes him happy. can't say his happy is the same as your happy. everyone is different.

your overly simplifying your equation...
Vastly! To say the least! But tire size and gear ratios are directly related in a definitive numerical way, and it helps a lot to at least start by comparing to something definitive. After that...well...I'm never really happy anyway. Do you think new tires and gears might help me?

Just curious as to how 4.88s would perform with 35’s on my 3fe fj80. I’m putting a 3 inch lift on soon, and will be ready to buy tires soon. 33’s and 35’s (actual size 34.6) are what I’ve narrowed my decisions down to. will it be able to conquer most trail and cruise 70-80 on the highway which I’d need to get to those places?

I drove a 91 with 4:88's and 35's for a few years. It will get you around the interstate and down the trails with no problems. That being said if your driving up steep mountain highways and interstates than be ready for 2nd gear. Maybe consider 33"s and a 2" lift with 4:88's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom