350k mi 2000 LC... what say you?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There’s a local 1 owner 2000 LC for sale, impeccable service records. All southern owned. Great condition. Price TBD but probably around 3-4K.
What say you all?? Would be driven quite a bit. A third car but would def see use on road trips and stuff. Is 350k too many miles?

I would take a well-maintained, relatively rust-free 100 series with 350K miles for $4K every day, as long as the interior isn't completely roached. You just have to plan to spend some money on the wear and tear stuff that maybe wasn't covered by regular service. Have they done the timing belt change three times?

I say 4Rivers BBQ usually makes me have to poop shortly afterwards, and today is no exception.

Buy it if really $3k

I would take a well-maintained, relatively rust-free 100 series with 350K miles for $4K every day, as long as the interior isn't completely roached. You just have to plan to spend some money on the wear and tear stuff that maybe wasn't covered by regular service. Have they done the timing belt change three times?

^^^^^

Two changes that i can see so probably due for a new one.

Otherwise thanks for the relatively non helpful replies by the other folks. Post links to searches is just not helpful. I did those searches and read them. They don’t exactly fit my situation and I’d like more advice. If it irritates just, just move on.

Without pics or detailed service history to which comments can be made, what kind of feedback do you expect?

"Sure, buy it"

"No, don't buy it"

It's not even a multiple choice type of answer.

Just advice. What would be make or break things? What should I look for? What things other than a timing belt?

this for instance is helpful. It’s akin to asking your teacher or trusted advisor for advice and then saying “just search the internet” or “didn’t you read the book”. It’s pretty easy to be sarcastic on forums, I suppose less easy to be truly helpful.

Review maintenance records for: steering rack, upper/lower control arms, radiator, alternator, idler, tensioner pulleys, pcv, valve cover gaskets, plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, brake booster, CV service, Hub service, trans fluid service...the more details the less cash you will have to lay out soon. Could be a good value at $3k. My ‘99 just rolled 350k yesterday and I wouldn’t sell it for less than $15k. 😁

...and a general comment, people are wound a bit too tight. If you don’t have a constructive answer or find somebody’s question a waste of time or foolish/uneducated just move along to something else and the Mod will handle it.🍻👍. Cheers.

Last edited:
Just advice. What would be make or break things? What should I look for? What things other than a timing belt?

this for instance is helpful. It’s akin to asking your teacher or trusted advisor for advice and then saying “just search the internet” or “didn’t you read the book”. It’s pretty easy to be sarcastic on forums, I suppose less easy to be truly helpful.

I would say it's not a lack of wanting to help you make a decision, but when there is a very detailed FAQ and buyers guide stickied at the top of the tech section its about helping you help yourself to a lot of good info.

Those FAQs (yours specifically is asked sometimes as often as 5+ times a day) can end up saturating and pushing less common, and often pressing technical issues out of sight before they get answers.

Genuinely, I think there is good information to be found in search which will include "after purchase" info from the people who went through with it. It's not about being rude or anything so I hope it isn't taken that way. You will simply get better information with a timeline and results that way.

But my advice is if you don't want to be technical and do your own work, these things don't make economical sense for the utility they provide.

So you want to be spoon fed? You should have declared that desire earlier.

If you've read all of the relevant threads, you'd realize your generic question has been answered countless times.

Just wait until a mod shows up and posts the screenshot of relevant threads using the search function.

Welcome to this specific forum - you must be new here

Just to add, I have a maintenance log at under 200k that is embarrassingly long and detailed Even then, and knowing what I know now about 100s, I wouldn't buy one without it.

I probably wouldn't buy one either if it wasn't going to be a source of entertainment. Example: you like working on it or you like the platform specifically and are an enthusiast.

If it's a third vehicle for family use and road trips I'd buy a Seqouia. Lower mileage, easier and cheaper to maintain, similar price point.

A bit more advice. Mileage can be relative (i.e. it could be a lot of highway miles on an otherwise well-maintained vehicle, or a lot of dirt-road and 4-wheeling miles), so overall condition also matters a lot. I've found that heavy use causes wear that you don't anticipate or think about, like the wear on hinges, latches, gaskets, door rubber, etc. 350 miles may have even put strain on even hardware, even if the engine is running well and the transmission still shifting smoothly. I'd pay strong attention to the steering components (rack and pinion, PS pump, lines, etc..), body mounts, and anything else that could wear just from long miles and may be expensive to replace. I would worry less about suspension, wheels, tires or exhaust, for example, those are easy to replace.

Our 2000 has 300,000 plus miles. Has been an amazing vehicle. We've done the timing belt three times, replaced plugs twice, replaced starter once, one steering rack and AHC globes. It still drives like new, starts, is a quite as my living room going down the highway. I fully expect to get 400,000 to 450,000 out of it. If I saw a clean one with service records and no rust for $3-4 grand at 300,000 miles, I wouldn't hesitate to but it. I am getting a great riding solid vehicle that I can get at least 100,000 miles out of for that kind of money. Makes sense to me.

I got mine with 280,000 in January. I’ve put 7k into it. Some necessary, some cosmetic, a lot because I put the O in OCD. If it’s well maintained you can make it go for a long long time with the caveat you’ll probably have some pricey repairs pop up over the next couple years. Just the way it goes when you choose to drive an older vehicle.
For a clean truck with excellent records, I’d pay 3-4 no problem.
If I were to give you any advice, if you aren’t highly mechanical, take it to a good shop and let the give you an idea of things that need fixed sooner than later so you can budget for purchase and initial repairs. Thanks to these forums, figuring parts and labor for most jobs is easy money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom