350 starter probs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anybody else with a Vin K 350 having trouble keeping a starter on their truck, my last one lasted about two months, and the one on there right now is about to bite it, and its only been on for 1 week, am I just cooking my solenoid or what, would a starter heat shield fix the problem or just prolong the inevitable. Taking off starters is really not very fun.

Are you just having a problem with the starter when hot?
Truck starts ok in the morning when cold?

When the solenoid gets hot, it requires more amps to operate. The Toyota ign switch might have too much resistance and not allow enough current flow for the solenoid when hot. I ran into this problem on a V8 Datsun conversion and also once on my 91 K1500 pickup. If it's real bad, the solenoid windings heat up due to the lack of current and just go open eventually.
On the Datsun I solved the problem by adding a Ford Solenoid in the engine compartment in line between a good batt source and the "S" term on the Chevy starter. The vehicles ign wire goes to the "s" term on the Ford solenoid. This idea comes from a GM service bulletin how to correct this problem. You might be able to get a higher quality severe duty high temp solenoid to solve the problem. That worked on my K serires truck.

Are you using the stock white on black wire to the solenoid? The Ford solenoid trick works, but you have another problem. Jegs.com has several different heat shields for SBCs.

how is your exhaust routed? Heat is the biggest enemy of your starter. A heat shield may help. I'm using a high torque started form summit. It is much smaller than a stock chevy. It would allow more airspace between it and exhuast if your is routed near it. My exhaust runs under the oil pan and back on the drivers side.

I'm running headman headers down to a crossover pipe, and it does start well in the morning, I'm going to take it to the guy who put the engine in over Thanksgiving and see what he thinks. Thanks for the input guys.

Have you tried jumping the solenoid when it won't start? My 5.7 Vortec wouldn't start when it was warm & I ended up replacing the solenoid to no avail. After that I started crawling under the truck to jump the starter (hot exhaust & all). That motivated me to figure it out. Turned out the yahoo that did my conversion used lighter wire than the white on black & ran about 12' of it in the process.

I used heavier wire & ran it directly & now it never misses a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom