350/sm465/3 or 4 speed transfer ???? (1 Viewer)

Alright i have searched and read quite a bit of posts regarding this but i am curious to how happy people have been using the 350 to sm465 and what they feel is the best transfer case, 3 or 4 speed to run behind it? I have seen some say run a 4 speed case with 3 speed gears, some say run 4 speed cause it is much stronger. What do you all feel is the way to go there. I am currently putting all information together to start this conversion and wanted a few 2 cents from others. Thanks in advance. :beer: :beer:

southerncruiser62 said:
Alright i have searched and read quite a bit of posts regarding this but i am curious to how happy people have been using the 350 to sm465 and what they feel is the best transfer case, 3 or 4 speed to run behind it? I have seen some say run a 4 speed case with 3 speed gears, some say run 4 speed cause it is much stronger. What do you all feel is the way to go there. I am currently putting all information together to start this conversion and wanted a few 2 cents from others. Thanks in advance. :beer: :beer:
Go with a split case, the best of all worlds (other than an Orion.)

Edit: That said, I've run both the 3 and 4 speed cases without hitches either time, but I am far from a "gonzo" driver. If you do an older one piece case, make sure you put some sort of "case saver" on it.

Last edited:

73fj

Tho at sumbitch in ayer!

I have the 3 spd combo and have no complaints at all,I dont wheel the piss out of it so i cant say strenthwise.Also had the case in my garage so i used it.

Well i have access to both a 3 speed and 4 speed case so that makes it more difficult, what are the main advantages of each? If any? or is it more person preference, like i said i heard the 4 speed was a bit stronger.

Edit: 3 speed offers a lower ratio...

Last edited:

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer

what kit are you planning on using .AA or woody's plate adaptor . if you go with woody's you have to use the 3sp case (1 inch plate). using AA ( 5 inch adaptor) . you could go with the 4sp case adaptor kit .and if you kill your 4sp t-case . you can buy the cross-over gear .to mate a 3sp case to a 4 spd . and still attach your 3sp case to your 4sp AA adaptor . I THINK ?? .
someone jump in here with more info . i may be wrong ??

i would probably go with woody's plate and the 3sp case . cheaper . and lower low range .

73fj

Tho at sumbitch in ayer!

Personal preference for me with the lower ratio,runnin 39.5" tires and 4.10 diffs,plus at the time it was the "in" conversion.no regrets though,and i did have a 4 spd tc too.went with the AA conversion,seems strong and looks ok.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer

i also used the AA kit . i never new about woody's plate adapter . my sm465 also came from a 2wd
so it had a different spline count on the output shaft .AA was my only choice unless i changed the out put shaft . to 4wd one .

lowenbrau

SILVER Star

I thought I had it all wired. I put a Vortec 350 and an SM465 in front of a factory adapter to a 203 reduction section and an adapter to a 2.3:1 split case.

Then I remembered that I'm really a diesel guy and I ordered a H55f Toybox. Its way cooler and I'll order a 1HZ as soon as I can pawn the Chevy stuff.
465~203~split1.JPG

I run a 350/465/3-speed gears/4-speed case, great for crawling, I would choose otherwise for a DD/light wheeler though....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom