350 or 383 stroker ??? Need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, My FJ has a 350 and 700r4 trans. I’m having it painted and pulled the motor.

a buddy of mine gave me a 383 stroker motor from a show car. It’s awesome looking and sounds great.

I heard that using a 383 will just end up breaking stuff in the Toyota drive train. Has anyone had this happen? Will using a automatic help reduce the torq and not break sh!t?

thoughts??

I had a fj45 with a 383 stroker in it running 37s. I never broke anything but I drove it respectfully.

I agree with what @byron said. It depends on how you drive it.

Go with the 383. If it's built well it will have a lot more bottom-end grunt which is great in these cruisers. Spinning stuff fast isn't the problem, it's the sudden gain in traction when your wheels are spinning that has a tendency to yeet stuff. If you are relatively careful about limiting tire spin you will be fine.

I'd still stick with the 350, sell the 383 to some muscle car sucker, and use the funds to pay for your paint... well, actually, I'd drop kick both but that is another topic :p

Stroke out a 5.3 and make it a 363. EZ

For the cost of stroking out "small" LS engines, I'd just drop a turbo on it and call it a day... simple 500hp at the crank;) I'd consider stroking out a 6.0L. If I had piles of cash, I'd go straight for the 7.4L LS(code named LSx ;) but $10k+ on an engine isn't on the plate :(

I guess I look at the power to weight ratio and how easy I could slap it in 40. I would love to do an old big block but that would be really tight in a 40.

Thanks for the thoughts on my situation. here’s a pic of the motors. Not the best pics as my garage is a mess with tearing down Ol Blue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mistake, disregard....

Last edited:
I think that rig needs the 383. If you are asking the question.... well, then the answer is yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom