35" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for advise on 35" tires. I have been looking at swamper trxus 35x12.50x16. I also have looked at mickey thompson claws 35x12.50x16.
I like the look of the mud terrain tires and will be driving daily to work and off road occasionally on weekends. I am not hat concerned about road noise. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

you'll wanna consider the treadwear if you plan on driving daily to work. i just picked up 35" bfg all terrains for my daily driver. i like the look of mud terrains better as well, but i'd rather dish out the money for something that's gonna last longer.

Or MTRs, they are both an excellent DDer mud terrian that is still very good off road. I would not DD a swamper after owning a few sets... IMO... I dd my FJ55 on 35" MTRs

The only mud-terrains that I would consider for daily driving are (in order of best street manners to best offroad manners)

Firestone Destination M/T
Bridgeston Dueler M/T
Goodyear MT/R
BFG M/T
Super Swamper TSL radial

The list is in order of ranking from best street manners/longevity to worst.

I daily drove my 33" TSL radials for a year before purchasing an FZJ80 to DD. They were great except for HORRIBLE wet pavement traction.

I really like the Bridgestone Dueler M/T. A good buddy ran a set on his Z71 for a large number of highway miles.

I really dislike the Trxus M/T. I had two buddies that ran them, both sets wore out VERY quickly, and one of the sets had problems with the outer lugs delaminating.

I just went with Goodyear MTR's for my DD in a 35x12.50x15. Had them for around 4,000+ miles and the are GREAT! Track great, great offroad, better sidewalls than the BFG's great tread design, quiet for a mud terrain.

I love them, I dont have experience with any of the BFG's or other popular designs. But I did have swampers... just read my signature for how I felt about them.

IMO, swampers belong on the trail, and they are excellent for trail use, but I couldn't believe how amazing the MTRs ride on the street after 4 years of swampers! I felt like I had a new cruiser.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

I REALLY like the Goodyear MT/R's for an offroad tire. Only downside is they are not siped and aren't that great in the rain. The Toyo Open Country MT looks similar to the Goodyear and is siped, but I don't the sidewall is quite as strong.

That said, I'd still go with the Goodyear. Just my 2 cents.

I have a set of 35 x 12.50 x 16" bfg At's...
I'll sell cheap...

;)

Goodyear's MTRs are just Fugly IMO. And they belong on Heeps only. BFG MT are the only 35's I've run and they were actually quite quiet, they'll pull you through almost any mud pit, and they actually last quite a bit longer than you'd think. BFG ATs are basically worthless if you plan on going on any type of trail that requires any kind of grip (mud, steep rubble) and though they might last a little bit longer than the MTs you'll be cussing them the whole time.

Just get 2 sets ;) , some Boggers and some ATs for the road.

bfg's just don't last that long especially with a locker in the rear. personally I would buy big o brand tires with the warranty I have used them before and will be using them on my current project. they have mt xt and at i think. check em out!!!

bikinnotdykin said:
bfg's just don't last that long especially with a locker in the rear. personally I would buy big o brand tires with the warranty I have used them before and will be using them on my current project. they have mt xt and at i think. check em out!!!
i've always gotten good life out of bfgs...current ones are at about 25,000 and plenty of tread left. the lemon had over 38,000 on it's last set.

Honestly I love my Goodyear MTR's... They are sort of 'popular' but it is amazing how they hook up, they wheel very well, just as good (if not better) than swampers IMO. They also look great, IMO in most cruisers. It is what most of us run (or want to run) around here. Big O's I remember as being a little stiff. Did someone say boggers? :rolleyes:

Photo of a 40 on BFG MTs
RATT5.JPG

MTRS 35"

RattleJan1.JPG

MTR is a way better tire than BFG mud

My bald swampers work pretty good on the drag strip and dry rocks, ;)

if i could grab a second set to act as my offroad only tires they'd be the open country's those things are badass.

Hi All:

I can't say I have experience with all the various tires out there on 4X4s, but I have used on my trucks the following:

BFG TA M/Ts mud tires
BFG TA A/Ts all terrain tires
BFG "Mud King" mud tires
Bridgestone "Desert Dueler" all terrain tires
Les Schwab XT all terrain tires

Mud tires work well in sloppy off-road conditions, while being noiser on the highway. All terrains are quieter on the road, generally last longer, and will usually offer better fuel mileage; but they have very limited use in true off-road conditions.

You might consider a sort of "in between" tire tread design; that is, a more agressive all terrain tire. For example, the Les Schwab "XT" is more aggressive than the BFG TA A/Ts but less so than the BFG TA M/Ts.

For a daily driver/occasional light 4X4er I'd definitely recommend an all terrain tire as being a better overall choice.

Enjoy your FJ40!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

metalonmetal said:
if i could grab a second set to act as my offroad only tires they'd be the open country's those things are badass.
LOL

And Desert dwellers have to be the WORST sidewalls I have ever seen.

I managed to kill 3 in one week driving on paved dirt roads..

Sidewall strength is the key for wheel'n. Rocks, tree roots and the occasional sign post ran ruin a day. Both BFG and Goodyear make a good sidewall.....I never had any luck with the BFG's clean the sticky clay-mud-crap out of the treads that I find around here. My MTR's on the otherhand did very good.

metalonmetal said:

I just priced Toyo 35X13.50 Open Country Mud Terrains for my 60 and they were like $250 ea. No thanks. I can get Dunlop Mud Roverr and Kumho muds in 35x12.50 for less then $140 a corner. And I can still pull of Swampers or BFGs for less then $170 ea. So much for Toyo :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom