35" Tire Rubbing Solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to confuse you further I have OME 2.5” lift with extended shackles 5.8” rear. Running 285/75r16 (32.8”x11.2” per internet). Factory bump stop locations. Rear spring mount relocated to get full flex.
Its mostly a street rig but I do play offroad with it. At full stuffage on a rear tire they just barely rub the inner well and if I had factory rear fenders (mine are cut) they would interfere just over 3”, close to 3.5”.
When I bought it the PO had extended the bump stops to keep the tires from rubbing at all but the suspension had limited freedom. Took those out and added the longer shackles and it seems like it will go over anything.
Maybe with 255/85r16 I could get away without cutting the rears but not entirely sure.

Have you flipped your rear springs?

In the last pic, Yes. I needed the additional length because I centered the rear diff along with using a center rear output t/case.

I run 32x9.5 TSLs on a pretty stock (uncut rear, 2.5 OME) '40. My next step is probably going to be 34x9.5 TSLs (of which a couple options exist), I suspect that will involve either bumpstop extension, small body lift or both. Still trying to determine how to deal with cg increase, I think I will probably increase track (move backspacing, not widen shells) to the point allowable by uncut rear.

Only reason I didn't already do this is because I want to do 4:1 Orion + H41? first...I am annoyed by gearing more than I am tire height right now when I wheel.

I find my basically stock 40 makes (some) trails look easier than a lot of modern rigs on 35+ due to size...it's kinda like how I used to be pissed seeing samurais making things look easy on 33s back when I had a crawler 40.

Also blowing axle parts up is not fun when the ensuing carnage makes R&R a nightmare on the trail!

Last edited:
Also blowing axle parts up is not fun when the ensuing carnage makes R&R a nightmare on the trail!

Yeah, I was 100% kidding about that. The more this all shakes out, some lift and 33” ish tires is probably the smarter move for me right now. Lots to still do before any benefit of 35s would be realized on this truck. I’m bone stock right now. Probably smarter to address brakes, steering, lockers, gearing, etc. before I start worrying about big tires.

Local Club guy went SOA is willing to part with his old 4” springs and assorted parts for the lift and some disc brake conversion parts. Headed over there Saturday to see exactly what he’s got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom