34" Snow/Winter Tire Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
Let me know if there is a similar thread already, my search didn't turn up anything.

I currently run 295/70 R18 (34.5") tires on my truck. With the 4 speed transmission and 4.88 diff gears, the speedometer read very accurate! Now that the winter is around the corner, I am shopping for winter tires. Apparently there are no 34+" tires available for 18" rims. I do not consider the AT tires with snowflake rating to be a true winter tire so those don't count.

The most common size available is 275/65 R18 (32"). A slightly rarer size is 275/70 R18 (33.2"). I can get a killer deal on the 32" tires mounted on wheels from a fellow mudder or spend a bit more and get 33" tires mounted on a spare set of wheels that I already have.

My concerns are that 32" tires would be too small due to diff gearing and will cause the cruising RPM at 80mph to be close to 3500 RPMs. Engine speed with 33" tires would still be slightly higher than what I have with 34.5" but perhaps it will be manageable.
What do you guys think?

EDIT on 10/8/2021

Looks like I am over thinking this (not a surprise really :slap:). The RPM difference at 80 MPH is not really that big between 32 and 34. So perhaps it would make sense to decide based on price. Here's a quick comparison via an online calculator:
1633700762039.png

source: Gear Ratio Comparison Tool - Compare Axle, Transmission Combinations - https://www.dieselhub.com/tech/ratio-tool.html

If this calculator is accurate, it would mean only a couple of hundred RPMs separate the 34" and 32" tires. I am sure I can live with that!

1633700726689.png

Last edited:
Useless comment alert - somehow cruising 80 MPH and snow tires seems like an oxymoron

Useless comment alert - somehow cruising 80 MPH and snow tires seems like an oxymoron
au contraire mon frère. Snow tires are made of softer material and stay pliable even at the pleasant winter temperatures we experience here in Midwest. That helps with traction, braking distance etc.
Highways are usually cleared up of snow pretty quickly and the traffic moves at a pretty normal clip. Once you get off the highway, snow tires can be the difference between sleeping at home or sleeping in your car, on a balmy -20 F day!

au contraire mon frère. Snow tires are made of softer material and stay pliable even at the pleasant winter temperatures we experience here in Midwest. That helps with traction, braking distance etc.
Highways are usually cleared up of snow pretty quickly and the traffic moves at a pretty normal clip. Once you get off the highway, snow tires can be the difference between sleeping at home or sleeping in your car, on a balmy -20 F day!
:D What do you expect from a Texan (who has lived in and travelled around CO, WY, MT, and NoDak in the winter). :)

...snow tires can be the difference between sleeping at home or sleeping in your car, on a balmy -20 F day!

That is a good point. Sometimes the best solution is the most obvious one.

From my time in Michigan, I found only one solution to be better than snow tires. And I haven't been back in 14 years.

I vote for Blizzaks and a beater like this. Keep Blue rust free!

Yes, I know. Not helpful. And I don't have a 100 anymore anyways.
When I got Blue, I did not promise her fair weather and roses! She will have to live the life her master lives! Thanks for the suggestion on the beater but winter is literally half of the year here, which means roughly half of my life, I will be driving a beater instead of what I really want to drive.

10-4. Full send and 33s then. With what you have put into that truck, I see no reason to skimp on tires for half the year.

I'm getting cold just thinking about it.

I'd just get the biggest quality winter tire I could get in my rim size and go the WI speed limit of 70mph :)

I use snowflake rated AT's all year round, and in the case of ice find them lacking. The guys I know with snow tires bought 18" or 20" 200 series wheels and put snows on them, I guess the bigger wheels come with some pretty good options for snow tires with bigger diameters.

Updated the thread title and edited the first post with RPMs at different tires sizes. Also, @AlpineAccess you are right, if I find bigger wheels (20") I can find 34" winter tires too (275/65/20). But based on RPM calculations, even the 32" tires won't be too far off.

A year later and I am still thinking abt winter tires!
Last winter I was pleasantly surprised how 2001 LX is much more stable in slippery stuff than my 98 was!! And the Ridge Grapplers are ok in snow but now great in ice.
Oh well, may be I will find an extra grand sitting somewhere idle to buy the snows!

I take back my previous advice, partially. Move from snow, but enjoy that 100 year round. No sense saving her for the next guy. DO NOT SELL 100s. Unless you are thinking about it of course, then give me a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom