34 on 16X7? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BROKEROB1

SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to put the "dead horse" icon in my title, but I couldn't figure out how... as I know, based on my reading the last several weeks lots of this has been covered.... LOTS.... so forgive me if I am
:shotts:

It is finally time to replace my 285 REVOS on my 16x7's (I know... but the price was right) and I have been looking at tires, posts, opinions, etc for the last several months. I have spent lots of time in the MUD archives but I have been unable to find someone running the set-up I am looking for (maybe this is where I should give up and start over). I really like most of Interco's tires and I am getting ready to order some tires but I am limited with my rim size of 16x7 and also stock height. Also, I would like to clarify that these rims are my 2nd set and "trail only" tires will be going on these, as I run the factory alloy on a standard set of REVOS for DD. I really don't care at all what the "trail only" tires will handle like on the road.

As of last week, based on some of the members of this forum, I had settled on the Trxus MT's in a 285. Since then, I have heard mixed reviews on sidewall strength, especially since it appears that these smaller Interco tires are made with a different process/plant/standards than the larger (from what some have told me). I also had looked at the SSR Radials but I have also heard some "not so nice things" on those tires. Now, this is where I get out of my "comfort zone", mainly becasue I have run the 285's on my 16X7's with no issues. I have done lots of thinking and searching on various websites to determine a tire that would work for me. I really like the TSL Bogger, and I was hoping that the 33 10.5 16 would work on my 16X7. I have also heard about some pretty serious chunking and wear issues on this tire, though. So, in my ideal world, I think that I would like to go to the LTB, as this bias tire really appeals to me and I have heard virtually no negative feedback on trail performance. My concern is that I can only find the LTB in a 34 10.5 16. I am hesitant to try that b/c I will be on the trails at least once per month (Paragon Blue III's and lots of Rausch Creek- so lots of articulation and rocks). I am not ready to start breaking off flares and pounding things out yet:) Interco lists the LTB 34 tire at 33.6" OD. I also have read enough of the posts to know that some guys get away with a 315 with no rub issues and some have had rubbing on a 285. A lift is in my future, but not until wifey gets the LX470 and that will be a couple of years.

I guess that I am asking for some feedback from the guys who have some experience with any of these sizes/tires and what may work best on a 16X7 rim and stocker height?

Should I just chuck my 16X7's and feed Dan's dog's? :grinpimp:

Thanks in advance :beer:

You can put 12.5" wide tires on a 7" rim. I ran 34x12.5x15 TRXUS MT's on a 15x7 rim on my old Heep and they were excellent. With a taller sidewall, you can get away with the narrower rim, although I think a 285 is a better fit.

I wouldn't worry about TRXUS being weak - the 285's are 10 ply (for whatever that is worth). On a stock suspension with stock lift height, I don't think you need any more tire, and they will be a good moderate rock/mud tire for the price.

Of course, if you decide to run the TRXUS you really don't need the revos for road tires - TRXUS are a great road tire.

But I'd stick with 285's...that's the right size for your rim and stocker.

Nay

Ok....maybe im nuts here......

Especially the LTB's are offered in package deals(still under 800) with the el cheapo black steelies(see pics of my rig) that work great with them. Not light......but works good. Why are you looking at forking out large dough for new rims? Your lookin at like 100 bucks for the steelies and they look fine.

Second......the bogger is primarily a mud type tire. It gives you almost zero side friction, so if your offcamber your almost screwed. The good old TSL should fit your needs nicely. FWIW, I liked my SSR's.......Im just to broke to wheel so I havent used em in a while. :eek:

Lol.....For under 600 bucks you could have my swampers....they are even for sale.

Seriously though, I would look at a 305/70' ish type tire, or something of the like. You should be able to get by okay till you get your lift. You might have to remove your mud flaps. Keep in mind, tire hight wont affect how your tire fits on your rim. Its the width you need to be careful of. And I think the only real danger you get into there is when you air down they have a tendancy to pop beads if you get to wide. 10's should be fine on your rims.

Second......the bogger is primarily a mud type tire. It gives you almost zero side friction, so if your offcamber your almost screwed. The good old TSL should fit your needs nicely. FWIW, I liked my SSR's.......Im just to broke to wheel so I havent used em in a while

Good point.... looks like it it back to the LTB for my first choice, but I don't think I could get away with a 33 13.5 16..... could I? Again, I like the choice of the bias.

The good old TSL should fit your needs nicely

I couldn't find a size to suit.... looks to be a good choice otherwise

Thanks for your feedback.... I appreciate your thought on the Trxus and I may go that route now :)

BROKEROB1 said:
Second......the bogger is primarily a mud type tire. It gives you almost zero side friction, so if your offcamber your almost screwed. The good old TSL should fit your needs nicely. FWIW, I liked my SSR's.......Im just to broke to wheel so I havent used em in a while

Good point.... looks like it it back to the LTB for my first choice, but I don't think I could get away with a 33 13.5 16..... could I? Again, I like the choice of the bias.

The good old TSL should fit your needs nicely

I couldn't find a size to suit.... looks to be a good choice otherwise

Thanks for your feedback.... I appreciate your thought on the Trxus and I may go that route now :)

I don't think you can put a 13.5 on a 7" or 8" rim unless it was a lot bigger than a 33 (think 37"+).

The 34x10.5 LTB is a great size and they might fit since they are narrow, and 10.5's do work well on a 7" rim.

Nay

just to add I run a 31x12/50 on a 15x7 wheel. I would say if you have a 33 on a 8" wheel you can run a 13.50 no problems. I agree the taller the side wall the better off you are with a wide tire on a narrow wheel. You also can play around more with wheel/tire width when it comes to bias plys vs. a radial because of the sidewall/overall construction.

Thanks for your input Nay.... I may try to go the way of the 34 unless someone talks me out of it :)

Bear, Thanks for your input.

I will post some pics when I get things together in the next couple of weeks..

Interco tires run large compared to other makes. You have no lift or gears. The 34" tires are too big - diameter - in my opinion an will probably rub under articulation, plus strain your gearing. The 13.5's require 10" rims and would rub without spacers, lift, etc.

Why not get the 31 x 11.5" LTB if that's the tire you want? Those will mount on a 7" rim no problem and clear. Would work great for what you want. Don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Last edited:
Ive got the 34 inch trxus and i love em. They emit only the most pleasant hum at freeway speeds (just enough to remind you youve got mud tires on), and i have yet to have an instance where i felt that they lacked for grip on pavement.

Off pavement, ive been running them around 12 psi and have yet to lack for traction once. Mind you the trails im running arent the most nutty, but even when really off-camber right in the middle of 6 inches of snow melting i never slipped around.

Just my 2 cents.

Go for it

I plan on running LTB's in 34 10.5 R16 on some 16x7 4 runner rims I picked up as my off road only tires, and then run 285's on the stock 8" rims in a street tread.

Decision Made

Interco tires run large compared to other makes. You have no lift or gears. The 34" tires are too big - diameter - in my opinion an will probably rub under articulation, plus strain your gearing. The 13.5's require 10" rims and would rub without spacers, lift, etc.

Why not get the 31 x 11.5" LTB if that's the tire you want? Those will mount on a 7" rim no problem and clear. Would work great for what you want. Don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Spartan-Great info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I really want a tire that is closer to 33" and the 31 11.5 16 is list as a 31" OD. As for gears, here in PA, did not seem like a big deal as these will be trail only tires.
Ive got the 34 inch trxus and i love em. They emit only the most pleasant hum at freeway speeds (just enough to remind you youve got mud tires on), and i have yet to have an instance where i felt that they lacked for grip on pavement.

Off pavement, ive been running them around 12 psi and have yet to lack for traction once. Mind you the trails im running arent the most nutty, but even when really off-camber right in the middle of 6 inches of snow melting i never slipped around.

Just my 2 cents.

Agent Orange-Thanks for the info on the Trxus.... that was were my journey began. I had heard from a couple of members of MUD and also from a dealer that the Trxus in the 285 variety was the specific tire that Interco was having some minor issues with. I also have seen a number of the forum members that are running this 33" tire and love it. The dealer also let me know that Interco works well with them on defective tires.
Go for it
I plan on running LTB's in 34 10.5 R16 on some 16x7 4 runner rims I picked up as my off road only tires, and then run 285's on the stock 8" rims in a street tread.
Walking Eagle-Are you currently lifted? It looks like you are stock by your sig line.... I guess my thinking was to not go with the 34" until I can lift. For me, once I lift, even 2 inches, my Cruiser will no longer fit in my garage. Wifey wouldn't like that so I will wait ;) Hopefully the LTB's in a 36 or 37 will be the next set.

I decided to go with the 285 Trxus MT's. I will post some pics on the end of this thread post once I get them mounted up with my initial thoughts. It may be a couple of weeks, depending on availability.

Thanks to each of your for your thoughts. I appreciate your experience and expertise, as I am definately a :banana: kinda guy. If any of you ever get to Paragon or in Southeast PA, look me up and

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

on me:bounce:

BROKEROB1 said:
Walking Eagle-Are you currently lifted? It looks like you are stock by your sig line.... I guess my thinking was to not go with the 34" until I can lift. For me, once I lift, even 2 inches, my Cruiser will no longer fit in my garage. Wifey wouldn't like that so I will wait ;) Hopefully the LTB's in a 36 or 37 will be the next set.
QUOTE]

Not really lifted. I threw on some Mr. Gasket spacers just for the hell of it. I figure an extra inch is always a good thing. Because of the 34" LTB's narrow width, compared to a 35x12.50, I figured clearance wouldn't be an issue. But, I also have a set of J-springs in the garage waiting on a few more parts and a little time. 35's would be an option for me once the J's go on, but, the LTB's are $116.21 a piece at Sam's Off Road here in Tulsa. That's only $465 a set, plus mounting and balancing. Then I figured I'd pick up some street biased cheap tires, like Flaken AP ($372 for a set of 265/75R16) or Yoko Geolander H/T-S ($424 a set) for daily driving. Figured compared to a set of 35" truxus MT's at $746 as set, for an extra $80 plus an extra mount and balance for 4 tires, I could have two sets instead of one. Probably get 30,000 miles out of the LTB's, and 50,000 out of the street treads, compared to 40,000 or so out of the Truxus MT's. That's alot of extra miles for not alot of extra dollars. Sure, it's a hassel to run 2 sets of tires, but why suffer the drawback of running MT's on the road if you don't have to? Course, you don't get the cool look of running MT's on the street, with the itimidation factor or the nice "wha wha" sound.

Broker, how about BFG MTs in 255/85R16? That's about a 33x10 and should work just fine for you.

EDIT: D'oh, just saw that you've made up your mind. I considered the Trxus but local availability was rough. I'd like your feedback on them once you get them though.

Walking Eagle said:
but why suffer the drawback of running MT's on the road if you don't have to? Course, you don't get the cool look of running MT's on the street, with the itimidation factor or the nice "wha wha" sound.

That's been my point: the TRXUS are better onroad in my experience on two different rigs than the BFG AT ko's they replaced. But that's not why I run them.

If you can plan every trip or need for more capability, then two sets of tires are great. I run TRXUS because I don't want to be sitting in the garage wondering whether the AT's are going to be enough on this day's venture into the High Country or whether the pure offroad tires can handle the potential road conditions. I have about as many stories about unexpected situations where the easy trail and family picnic day turned hardcore as I have about normal day trips, and I want a tire that can move with me in those situations without missing a beat (same reason I bought the 80 and not a Suburban).

Of course, that's what I love about living in Colorado. "Wheeling" in the strict sense is not always planned :grinpimp: .

Nay

Last edited:
Walking Eagle,
Those are some pretty good prices on tires. I will say that I have put my 285 REVOS through some really nasty stuff, including some pretty major rocks and mud up to my frame and they came through like champs. They have nice manners on the road at 70 mph. I was able to pick up 4 new in the 275 size for $275+$65 on Ebay from a guy looking to step up to larger size. I would air those down pretty good (12 psi) on the trail and had pretty good luck. I am excited to finally get a more aggressive set of 2nd tires. Please post up with your experience on the 34's when you go that route.
Ed-I priced the BFG Mud in a 285 at BJ's (similar to Costco) and they were about $200 more money-heard lots of good things, though.
Nay-I love CO..... spent lots of time with my fam in Littleton and did lots of skiing in Vail, Winter Park, Loveland, Breck, etc. We did lots of wheeling in my uncles 40 and 60 out there.
Thanks again for your thoughts, guys... I'll follow up here in a few weeks with some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom