33x9.50 with 22RE and stock 4.10 gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does that sound feasible (87 4Runner, IFS)? I've done some searches, but most everybody is talking about fitting wider 33s. And the FAQ discussion is leaning toward wider 33s as well.

I've got add-a-leafs in the rear, and I could always crank the front torsion bars up some.

I was hoping to get a little extra clearance, and maybe a couple more mpg. 31x10.50s on there right now.

Anybody running this?

Thanks.

Well, first I really don't think you'll see any mileage benefit. If anything, it will go down some. It takes more energy to spin a larger diameter tire.

If you're wondering about the gearing, it's not bad. I ran with 33's on my 4.10's for quite awhile, it's livable. Put them on and try it, then decide.

But I personally wouldn't spend one nickel on regearing an IFS diff.

For the price of a regear at the shop you could do some upgrades to your motor, and is much better option in my opinion. If you can do it yourself, you can most likely fit in a relatively low psi turbo setup.

Last edited:
Well, first I really don't think you'll see any mileage benefit. If anything, it will go down some. It takes more energy to spin a larger diameter tire.

If you're wondering about the gearing, it's not bad. I ran with 33's on my 4.10's for quite awhile, it's livable. Put them on and try it, then decide.

But I personally wouldn't spend one nickel on regearing an IFS diff.

I was hoping the 31x10.50s and 33x9.50s would feel about the same to the engine, with longer travel on the 33s. But you're right, it's more about the spinning force required and not just the weight.

And no regearing the IFS. Save my money for a SAS.

I'm pushing 33's with 4.10's, it's ok, 5th gear is for downhill.... :D I commute over a mountain pass that's 1000 ft. up and down each way, and I get about 17 doing that. I've seen as high as 23, but that was taking it really easy following a loaded diesel troopie.... :D

I got 33x10.5s with the 22r and I can pull up hills in fifth gear at about 65. For the steep real long ones I justt drop it in 4th and cruiser 65 up them.

You might as well go with wider like 12.5 so it looks a little bit. I dont like the look of the 10.5 they look to small under the truck the 9.5 would be way to skinny in my opinion.

I'm pushing 33's with 4.10's, it's ok, 5th gear is for downhill.... :D I commute over a mountain pass that's 1000 ft. up and down each way, and I get about 17 doing that. I've seen as high as 23, but that was taking it really easy following a loaded diesel troopie.... :D

Thanks for the numbers. I average 19-20 mpg right now, and I could stand a couple points drop for the added clearance. I don't use 5th unless I'm cruising on the interstate anyway.

I think I might do it. As long as I'm not in 3rd gear on the highway.

I got 33x10.5s with the 22r and I can pull up hills in fifth gear at about 65. For the steep real long ones I justt drop it in 4th and cruiser 65 up them.

You might as well go with wider like 12.5 so it looks a little bit. I dont like the look of the 10.5 they look to small under the truck the 9.5 would be way to skinny in my opinion.

Good info. I already have to drop to 4th for the long steeper hills, so that wouldn't be that much of a hassle. And it's rare I get over 65 mph. The wind off the sunroof will deafen you.

That's funny how we all see these things differently. I've always liked my 10.50s, but now that they're getting bald, they look a little bit short and fat to me. I saw a picture of an 85 with 33 9.50 MTs (when they used to make those) on it, and it looked pretty good to me. I'm also thinking less chance of rubbing, since I'm not lifted in the front, and I don't really want to beat on my fenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom