33's or 35's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 fj-40 with the original 2F engine and was wandering if i should keep the 33's that are on their now or put on 35's. The 35's were given to me so no money is involved. Will the engine and drivetrain be fine with 35's? Please let me know what ya'll think. Thanks.

i see two reasons to go bigger tires.
1. looks good.
2. better clearance.

if either of these apply to you, then run the 35's.
your drivetrain can handle it. gearing will change a bit.
if you already have both, just run the 35's for a while, if you don't
like them then go back.

oh, and your in the wrong section.

If you've got both, run an experiment and see which set you prefer. Is this a dedicated trail rig or DD?

how about picking up another set of rims, and running for 35's for the trail?
If you have the room for the set that's not mounted that is...

You might want to measure their diameters. Depending on brands there might not be a very big difference between the two sizes.

A while back I drove a '76 2F on 35's.

Worked just fine. Actually liked it a ton. Didn't drive it long enough to see any real problems in the engine and trans.

If you have real wide tires I would keep an eye on the tie rods. Mine kept bending and eventually broke.

Dave

i had to make this decision a while back before installing my 4" lift. i decided to go with the 35's because they fit, looked mean, and the drivetrain could handle it. you will notice an overdrive effect, and you will notice the hills a lot more on the highway. i drive em daily with 3.73 gears but will soon be swapping to 4.56's and upgrading the clutch.

When I was doing my rig I didn't know about wonderful websites such as MUD.. The only one I knew about told me to never go bigger than 33's cause I'd break stuff. But everyone on here seems to think that the stock componants can handle 35s. and that makes me mad. Cuase back when I was buying tires I could've got 35's no problem, but now that I have a set of 33's I'm not going to just go out and buy new tires... sad day.

Horsehead said:
The only one I knew about told me to never go bigger than 33's cause I'd break stuff..

You don't have to try very hard to break stuff with 33's.You can bust up birf's with 31's. It's all about driveing style. If you have stock gearing and like to use that skiny pedal you can break stuff with any size tire.
I would'nt run 35's without a least stepin up to Longfield's.:cool:

aw

Horsehead said:
but now that I have a set of 33's I'm not going to just go out and buy new tires... sad day.

Just sell me your 33's and go out and buy some 35's! Everyone wins! :)

honk said:
You might want to measure their diameters. Depending on brands there might not be a very big difference between the two sizes.

X2.

Often very true.

Thanks for the respnses. Well the vehicle would be driven weekly and i have stock gearing. If i was to go to the 35's, what gear ration should i run? I think the 35's look better but i don't want to sacrifice my vehicle for the look and clearance. I am not a hard core off roader. The tires are 35x12.50 procomp mud terrains.

run at least 4.56, but you don't have to change right away if you don't deal iwth a lot of steep climbs.

i run 36's with 4.56 and stock axles (for the most part) and it's fine for most anything.

Ran 4:11's all the way to 38's...

Did you snap your driveshaft due to the larger tires or your driving style? Was it on the trail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom