33's and stock birfs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.poolpartydeathmachine.com
Quick question I thought I'd ask:
Running stock birfs on The Mule, but ogling some 33X10.5R15's in BFG A/T's and was wondering if breakage would be a significant danger there. I mostly DD, my offroad time is usually on mild to medium trails, not a crawler, as many of you fellas know.

I first checked the FAQ, but the "Breaking Point" link is no longer on Pirate.

What's the possible prognisis, would stock running gear hold up to the added weight?

okee doke.
Thanks!

We've only broken one birf with 33s on but it was with all the weight on one front wheel, 5.29s, locker, with steering maxed out at full stuff in a notch in reverse in a nearly vertical position with one back tire about 6 feet in the air... They can break with 33s but you really have to try.

You get the idea.

I even carry a spare on my locked up rig with only 31s but I've never needed it. If I didn't carry one I'm sure it would break though...

Based off of:
I mostly DD, my offroad time is usually on mild to medium trails, not a crawler, as many of you fellas know.
I say your golden. I based this off of the fact that there are a pile of older land cruisers out there that are heavier, have a bit more torque, and have weaker birfs than your talking with 33s that seem to be holding up ok. I have gotten away with it 3 times now with 38.5 boggers, welded front end, and heavy foot BUT each time I expect to call Bobby Long......

I didn't start breaking stock birfs until I went to 37" tires. Never broke one with 35's. Also, if you don't have a front locker it's really hard to break one at all.

I've been running 35's for about 2 years, do some road, but mostly to wheeling events. I do some mild to wild type stuff. I broke 1 birf, short side. I should have been crawling but was playing a little too hard at full throttle and bouncing up a hill. I carry a couple of spares inside of a fedex shipping tube with axle shafts attached (having the shaft attached makes a swap much quicker and easier).

I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd always be prepared. It will only break if you're not prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom