33" vs 35" Tires Stock Gears FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend I picked up my second fj80. Its a 1995 and right now the vehicle is completely stock. I plan on putting a 3” lift on in the next month and eventually bumpers down the line but first it needs new tires. I am debating between 285 75 16 33s VS 315 75 16 35s. This is my daily driver and I do not plan on re gearing for a while. I live in Sothern California and make multiple trips to the sierras and river a year and occasionally tow a small boat. I really want to throw the 35s on it for the looks but my concern is that it will be unbearably slow and hard on the truck especially when climbing the Cajon Pass, Grape Vine, and Sherwin Grade. Are the 35s bearable or should I just stick with the 33s?

FWIW, I have been driving an 80 on 35's for 15 years now and have always had stock gears. There is definitely a slight power loss and it will slow you down on the high elevation steep grades especially if you're towing. It's never bothered me enough to feel like I need to change it. that being said I have a set of 4.88's on the shelf that are just waiting to be installed. But I live in Utah at higher elevations and tow a small trailer regularly, it's also my daily driver and it has worked just fine for me, but maybe my tolerance for lack of speed is more than other people. ;)

In SoCal for daily driving at near sea level you should be just fine. When I get my 80 down around sea level I feel like it's supercharged compared to how it feels at high elevation.

So the short answer from me at least is that 35's are definitely "bearable" with stock gears.

I ran 315's with stock gearing and it was fine on the flats. When I went up steep grades and mountain passes it sucked big time. I went to 4.88's. Its still not a rocket ship but much better on the hills.

I tow a sled trailer combo that's 5000-5500#'s - it's not fun to me on my 4.88 & 315's.

Really, I run over the Cascades pass (closest compare to the Sierra pull) & people hate me, I'm barely able to keep pace with the tractor/trailers by the last incline, prob due to elevation.

IDK your gross combo weight, I wouldn't do my pass, my boat on 315's & the 4.11's.

Go 37s & put it in 2nd gear on hills...

Gear down! What sick feeling it is when you realize excellent tracton is nothing without proper gears!

with a j lift or any other 3" lift, the 33" tires will look a little small! If you do a med lift which will net you 1.5" with the 33" it looks just right!

I am on 315s with stock gears and tow all the time. No issues but I am at sea level.

just so you know, 315's are not even 34" tall when on the vehicle with 32 psi in the tire!

stock gears all the way !!!

just keep those tires small for killer grapevine climbs and tons of room to flex!! its all about the small contact patch and high rpms!

image.jpg

On OEM heavies, and 33's (255-85/16's) and stock gears. Its a little slow, and dogs a little bit on the mountain passes but nothing I think is out of line for what it is, and keeps pace well enough. Though I dont tow with the 80, thats what my actual truck is for

315..no brainer...when climbing steep grades throw tranny in 2nd climb the grade and no issues. Do it all the time.

I just drove from Reno to the bay area this morning, over donor pass obviously. I have 315s and stock gearing, I can take the entire pass at 70mph and feel like I'm not stressing the 80 that much. BUT, I do not have any armor, so my 80 is light. I will not mind slowing down a little on the steep grades when I'm armored up. Since you are in so cal I say throw on the 35s and look like a badass, no question about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom