33"s = over active ABS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
triplefault.org
I've owned this truck since June and not once has the ABS been activated. Now, after the 33" Revos, it seems like if I brake and hit any sort of bump the ABS will kick in. I've had these tires about a month and the ABS has activated at least half a dozen times since then in the same sort of situation. Not severe braking but braking over rough surfaces.

Anyone notice this or is my rig or the driver insane?

parabola- I didn't correlate my identical problem with the tires, but now that I think about it, mine also started after I switched to the 285 Revos. Same problem on same tires with a '97 LX here, too.

Check air pressure and shocks. Heavier, stiffer, tires, espescially in combination with worn shocks, could more easilly loose contact with road. If tire looses contact with road while braking, and therefor slows quicker than the other 3 tires, then ABS can kick in.

fwiw, no such problem with my 33" MTRs

I have a theory that this is a problem unique to the LX's softer suspension. LX owners please chime in!

Rich said:
Check air pressure and shocks. Heavier, stiffer, tires, espescially in combination with worn shocks, could more easilly loose contact with road. If tire looses contact with road while braking, and therefor slows quicker than the other 3 tires, then ABS can kick in.
The OME HD kit is about 3 months old so I doubt the shocks are the issue. I'll double check the tire pressures; maybe the tire place inflated the hell out of them or something.

alaskacruiser said:
I have a theory that this is a problem unique to the LX's softer suspension. LX owners please chime in!
my springs/shocks are the OME HD so I don't think that is it for me. I'd definately not describe my suspension as 'soft'! :)

I bounce back and forth between stockers and 33's on heavy steel wheels. there is a 35 lb difference in weight as well as the diameter change. I have not noticed anything odd.

Might chalk it up to coinsidence...that is what mine started before I lost a front ABS sensor.

My 2500HD Silverado did this, it had stiff "D" load range tires (245/75 Firestone Steeltex IIRC) at 50 PSI, the door sticker said to use 80 PSI on the rears but I never did carry enough weight to warrant such,

But anyway there is a particularly short in town freeway exit that has very lumpy asphalt at the end, the abs would kick in just about every time on these bumps,

Seams to support stiff tires and too much air makes for poor road contact, that or Bridgstone/Firestone does not know how to make a good tire. :flipoff2:

The LX does not do this at this exit, either with the worn out original shocks nor the new Bilsteins, tires are 265/70 Michelin LTX (po's choice not mine)

About the only time I remember ABS kicking on my 80 was in was a panic stop and onto shoulder evasion induced by a idiot in an F-150.

Nope

I have over 40K on my 285 Revos (w/OME suspension) and have never had unwarranted ABS chatter as described. ABS does work, but the need arises very infrequently. I run about 35psi. HTH, BigMac

I had the ABS chatter a while back and I never really thought about what might have caused it. It developed right after I installed my 285's too. I am running a little lower air pressure than I used to and now that I think about it the ABS chatter has gone away. Before reading this post I never gave it a secnd thought since I assumed it was the nature of the brast. Weird! ;)

Clint

Josh,
I run 33" Nittos and also run the OME HEAVY lift..I have never noticed the ABS come on. Could it be LSPV related? Did you adjust it when you installed the lift? Don't know...HTH.

ABS sucks ... disconnect that joint and just drive her old skool ... remember those analog brakes... my shizzle went crazy after i fit them 37's up in there ... just unplug it and be done with it!

Last edited:
davegonz said:
Josh,
I run 33" Nittos and also run the OME HEAVY lift..I have never noticed the ABS come on. Could it be LSPV related? Did you adjust it when you installed the lift? Don't know...HTH.
No, I didn't adjust it. I wonder if that is it...

I did perform the "240lbs of concrete in the cargo area" modification today to see if it helps my Grrrrr, so we'll see if it changes anything over the next week or so. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom