33"s = over active ABS?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by parabola, Oct 25, 2005.

1. parabola

parabola

I've owned this truck since June and not once has the ABS been activated. Now, after the 33" Revos, it seems like if I brake and hit any sort of bump the ABS will kick in. I've had these tires about a month and the ABS has activated at least half a dozen times since then in the same sort of situation. Not severe braking but braking over rough surfaces.

Anyone notice this or is my rig or the driver insane?

2. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

parabola- I didn't correlate my identical problem with the tires, but now that I think about it, mine also started after I switched to the 285 Revos. Same problem on same tires with a '97 LX here, too.

3. Rich

Rich

Check air pressure and shocks. Heavier, stiffer, tires, espescially in combination with worn shocks, could more easilly loose contact with road. If tire looses contact with road while braking, and therefor slows quicker than the other 3 tires, then ABS can kick in.

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

fwiw, no such problem with my 33" MTRs

5. Rich

Rich

Neither do I.

6. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

I have a theory that this is a problem unique to the LX's softer suspension. LX owners please chime in!

7. parabola

parabola

The OME HD kit is about 3 months old so I doubt the shocks are the issue. I'll double check the tire pressures; maybe the tire place inflated the hell out of them or something.

8. parabola

parabola

my springs/shocks are the OME HD so I don't think that is it for me. I'd definately not describe my suspension as 'soft'! :)

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    I bounce back and forth between stockers and 33's on heavy steel wheels. there is a 35 lb difference in weight as well as the diameter change. I have not noticed anything odd.

10. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Might chalk it up to coinsidence...that is what mine started before I lost a front ABS sensor.

11. RavenTai

RavenTai

My 2500HD Silverado did this, it had stiff "D" load range tires (245/75 Firestone Steeltex IIRC) at 50 PSI, the door sticker said to use 80 PSI on the rears but I never did carry enough weight to warrant such,

But anyway there is a particularly short in town freeway exit that has very lumpy asphalt at the end, the abs would kick in just about every time on these bumps,

Seams to support stiff tires and too much air makes for poor road contact, that or Bridgstone/Firestone does not know how to make a good tire. :flipoff2:

The LX does not do this at this exit, either with the worn out original shocks nor the new Bilsteins, tires are 265/70 Michelin LTX (po's choice not mine)

About the only time I remember ABS kicking on my 80 was in was a panic stop and onto shoulder evasion induced by a idiot in an F-150.

12. BigMac

BigMac SILVER Star

Nope

I have over 40K on my 285 Revos (w/OME suspension) and have never had unwarranted ABS chatter as described. ABS does work, but the need arises very infrequently. I run about 35psi. HTH, BigMac

13. Cruiser Clint

Cruiser Clint

Media:
    Albums:
    I had the ABS chatter a while back and I never really thought about what might have caused it. It developed right after I installed my 285's too. I am running a little lower air pressure than I used to and now that I think about it the ABS chatter has gone away. Before reading this post I never gave it a secnd thought since I assumed it was the nature of the brast. Weird! ;)

Clint

14. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Josh,
    I run 33" Nittos and also run the OME HEAVY lift..I have never noticed the ABS come on. Could it be LSPV related? Did you adjust it when you installed the lift? Don't know...HTH.

15. Bear80

Bear80

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never noticed the ABS activate until I also upgraded to 33" tires. I only feel it under firm-hard braking over bumps/potholes/uneven pavement. I think the road combination and a larger tire makes the ABS activate sooner than with stock tires.

16. -uhuru-

-uhuru-

Media:
    ABS sucks ... disconnect that joint and just drive her old skool ... remember those analog brakes... my shizzle went crazy after i fit them 37's up in there ... just unplug it and be done with it!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  17. parabola

parabola

No, I didn't adjust it. I wonder if that is it...

I did perform the "240lbs of concrete in the cargo area" modification today to see if it helps my Grrrrr, so we'll see if it changes anything over the next week or so. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.