33" rubber overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cos we don't need it to drive to the supermarket, or what?

Exactly.

Closer ratio, smoother to operate.... :rolleyes:

Same 'logic' was used with the change to the garbage IFS suspension system used on mini trucks starting in 08/85... :meh:

Are the lower geared transfer cases hard to come by? I don't suppose there sitting around, but somehow people must get them from South America or somewhere?

Interesting... any idea why Toyota put such drastically lower 1st gear in the non-US market 4-speed trans? Cos we don't need it to drive to the supermarket, or what?

One can only surmise that Cruisers in Australia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East must spend a lot more time off-road and/or doing real work than Cruisers in the U.S. From 1973 - 1983, the U.S. car and light truck market was more concerned with fuel economy than capability. Since then, it has been more about better ride and increasing luxury.

Are the lower geared transfer cases hard to come by? I don't suppose there sitting around, but somehow people must get them from South America or somewhere?

Spector Off-road imports, services, and sells the non-USA H41 four-speed transmission, that has a 4.925:1 1st gear and slightly lower (than H42) 2nd and third gears: Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 062 Land Cruiser 4 speed Transmission

Advance Apapters produces a kit to make an Orion transfer case if you want lower low-range gears than can be had in any stock Land Cruiser t-case.

Advance Adapters ORION Transfercase for Toyota Land Cruisers 1963 to July 1980 | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

I like going to the super market in my 40. Soccer moms LUUVVVV IT!!!!

My FJ45's in South Africa for the business do not even have license plates of a few. They never see a tar road. They are in the bush full time every day. I have a few licensed as we need them to drive to town for supplies.

The two oldest each have over 300,000 k's and neither has been on a tar road since we drove them to the hunting concession. Almost every Kilometer on these trucks has been under 25-30mph. I also doubt that they have ever reached 50mph after the initial drive here.

Almost every Kilometer on these trucks has been under 25-30mph. I also doubt that they have ever reached 50mph after the initial drive here.

There you have it. Actually, if you look at the H41 trans, the 2-4 ratios are very similar to the J30 1-3 ratios. It's essentially a J30 with a granny gear added to the bottom... and a very low reverse.

If anything I'd like to accomplish the reverse... anyone wanna trade their 3.73 axles for a pair of 4.11s? J/k.

I have a 73 with a 1F and 3 spd tranny. It has 31's on it now and i would like to go larger but on past vehicles, when i put larger tires on, it kills the power. I assume it owuld be the same thing on my Cruiser without re-gearing(?)
It sounds like others are running larger tires without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom