33 or 35? That is the question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed an OME J lift a month ago and am now looking for new tires. My 80 is stock, but with a drawer system in the rear, so overall it sits fairly high. I'm not looking at adding too much heavy stuff anytime soon either.

So my question is, 33's or 35's? I think I have clearance for either, but I am wondering how stock gears will be handle with larger tires. Will 35's be too much without new gears?

what do you do with the truck? are you looking for big tires for offroad clearance or to fill your wheel wells?

33's work very well offroad. unless you rock crawl fairly seriously they are the best size tire to use for on/offroad imho. the amount of clearance is enough for me. 35s start to put some stress on the birfs and rob you of power. most people think you need to regear for 35s especially if you are at altitude.

do a search, it's been talked to death.

I would personally go w/ 33" (305s) since you will not have to regear. I went w/ 35's BFGs and wish now that I went w/ 305s. I will probably be switching them out later on down the line. Right now I am so busy w/ work and not doing many trips so no rush to switch. Going w/ 35s you will want to regear especially if you are in high altitude area. Hope that helps.

Don't forget about the 'tweener size.....295/75-16.

I'm running 33" swampers, and although sometimes I look at my truck and go "Man those looks small" they get me everywhere in style. Through the river, up and down sandhills, and to the local mall. :rolleyes: :D

I ran 35s with stock gearing and ran the rubicon. I am superchared so on the hwy it wasn't too bad, but I did regear to 4.88s. Mucho better. IMO you would want to regear. 4.56 gets it back to about stock. With 4.88s you will need a true speed speedometer calibrator to get proper shift points etc.
Cheers,
Sean

I have the 315s and it needs gears bad! 4.56s are on backorder for the front. That is what I've been waiting on.

If you like having a bit of power off the line, and plan on staying with stock gearing, stick with the 33s (285/75R16 or 305/70R16).

35" (315/75R16) will fit, but you'll lose power off the line.

If you don't mind going slow...go big.

Hmm, maybe I'll go with the 33/285's then. I am in the military and am in the south right now. The only off roading around here is guys in Realtree covered blazers driving around in the mud, so I think I'll abstain from that.

I did a search, but didn't find too much on the subject--more about clearance issues than power issues. I suppose 33's are more practical, although the allure of larger tires is strong :). Thanks for the input, all.

Simplify your life. Unless you're prepared to spend the extra money, time and trouble for regearing to get back the power you lose with 35's, go 33.

I never noticed more than a very minor change between 33's and 35's, but I recently met and talked to an owner of an American LC. Apparently the gas 4 liter engine really doesn't have the pull of my deisel. Likewise, 33's are puportedly the outside limit of economical city driving while 35's need the wide open long highways to work economically.

Kalawang

I have 285's and the heavy/med OME lift and sometimes I look at mine and think the 285's look small. I wish I had gone with 315's. SC is pretty flat so I do not think I would mind the power loss. Oh well, gotta wait till these wear out now.

Okay, here's the resolution. I'll get the 33's now. Next on the agenda is air lockers (but it is a while off as cost dictates), so I can do the gearing then too and upgrade tire size. Thanks for the input.
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom