33 or 35? That is the question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Pete483, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Pete483

Pete483

I just installed an OME J lift a month ago and am now looking for new tires. My 80 is stock, but with a drawer system in the rear, so overall it sits fairly high. I'm not looking at adding too much heavy stuff anytime soon either.

So my question is, 33's or 35's? I think I have clearance for either, but I am wondering how stock gears will be handle with larger tires. Will 35's be too much without new gears?

2. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    what do you do with the truck? are you looking for big tires for offroad clearance or to fill your wheel wells?

33's work very well offroad. unless you rock crawl fairly seriously they are the best size tire to use for on/offroad imho. the amount of clearance is enough for me. 35s start to put some stress on the birfs and rob you of power. most people think you need to regear for 35s especially if you are at altitude.

do a search, it's been talked to death.

3. ats4x4dotcom

ats4x4dotcom

used to run 36"s with standard gearing on my 80, and 78 series, because if your tyres dont rub, it means you can fit bigger ones :flipoff2:

4. YngTLCOwner

YngTLCOwner

I would personally go w/ 33" (305s) since you will not have to regear. I went w/ 35's BFGs and wish now that I went w/ 305s. I will probably be switching them out later on down the line. Right now I am so busy w/ work and not doing many trips so no rush to switch. Going w/ 35s you will want to regear especially if you are in high altitude area. Hope that helps.

5. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Don't forget about the 'tweener size.....295/75-16.

6. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    I'm running 33" swampers, and although sometimes I look at my truck and go "Man those looks small" they get me everywhere in style. Through the river, up and down sandhills, and to the local mall. :rolleyes: :D

7. MTNRAT

MTNRAT

I ran 35s with stock gearing and ran the rubicon. I am superchared so on the hwy it wasn't too bad, but I did regear to 4.88s. Mucho better. IMO you would want to regear. 4.56 gets it back to about stock. With 4.88s you will need a true speed speedometer calibrator to get proper shift points etc.
    Cheers,
    Sean

8. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

I have 295/75-16, wish I had gone with 315s.

9. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

I have the 315s and it needs gears bad! 4.56s are on backorder for the front. That is what I've been waiting on.

10. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

If you like having a bit of power off the line, and plan on staying with stock gearing, stick with the 33s (285/75R16 or 305/70R16).

35" (315/75R16) will fit, but you'll lose power off the line.

If you don't mind going slow...go big.

11. Pete483

Pete483

Hmm, maybe I'll go with the 33/285's then. I am in the military and am in the south right now. The only off roading around here is guys in Realtree covered blazers driving around in the mud, so I think I'll abstain from that.

I did a search, but didn't find too much on the subject--more about clearance issues than power issues. I suppose 33's are more practical, although the allure of larger tires is strong :). Thanks for the input, all.

12. Kalawang

Kalawang

Simplify your life. Unless you're prepared to spend the extra money, time and trouble for regearing to get back the power you lose with 35's, go 33.

I never noticed more than a very minor change between 33's and 35's, but I recently met and talked to an owner of an American LC. Apparently the gas 4 liter engine really doesn't have the pull of my deisel. Likewise, 33's are puportedly the outside limit of economical city driving while 35's need the wide open long highways to work economically.

Kalawang

13. mooker82

mooker82

I have 285's and the heavy/med OME lift and sometimes I look at mine and think the 285's look small. I wish I had gone with 315's. SC is pretty flat so I do not think I would mind the power loss. Oh well, gotta wait till these wear out now.

14. Pete483

Pete483

Okay, here's the resolution. I'll get the 33's now. Next on the agenda is air lockers (but it is a while off as cost dictates), so I can do the gearing then too and upgrade tire size. Thanks for the input.
    Pete

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.