325 Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Just noticed that Procomp is making 325/80R16 tires in all their models. This equates to almost a 37" tire. Thing is, they're WAY more expensive than any other 16" tire. The 315s are around $220 ea. and the 325s are $360 ea.

I remember when the Hummer sized MTRs were twice as much as normal, why would the 325s be so much more?

I guess it doesn't really matter, it's not like I can fit them with a J lift. Maybe for those of you with Slee's 6"?

I personally haven't tested the ProComp on a vehicle of my own, but I haven't heard great things about the ProComps...this was coming from a guy that works at Southern Off-road. Does anyone run them and have an opinions?

Steve

supply & demand?

I have heard that the Pro Comp X-whatever it is sucks... Doesnt clear the voids in mud or snow but does ok in the rocks.

But I have heard the Mud Terrian is ok. Dont know anything about wear issues though...

FZJFillmore said:
Just noticed that Procomp is making 325/80R16 tires in all their models. This equates to almost a 37" tire. Thing is, they're WAY more expensive than any other 16" tire. The 315s are around $220 ea. and the 325s are $360 ea.

I remember when the Hummer sized MTRs were twice as much as normal, why would the 325s be so much more?

I guess it doesn't really matter, it's not like I can fit them with a J lift. Maybe for those of you with Slee's 6"?

Why are you even debating? Didn't you make up your mind on tires already?
dmc

dmc said:
Why are you even debating? Didn't you make up your mind on tires already?
dmc

I know, just throwing out an option for a bigger tire and be able to keep the stock 16" rims. I was telling CDan the other day that between you and him there's going to be a bunch of Dunlop converts.

Yeah procomps suck. I had the mt's and they wore fast and didn't do that great in the mud actually. 4wheel parts pushes them though because procomp is 4wheelparts main dealer.

I have never run mt/r's or bfg m/t's. I think the mt/r looks like crap, might work great but a tire can only get you so far. The bfg m/t looks good to me and has been used enough to prove it's worth.

Pro Comp X-terrains look the best to me and every set I've run have been super smooth. Of course they have been roadmatched when mounted. The only down fall I can see in the x-terrain is the lack of lateral grip in such things as snow which I have never encountered. I've run Mickey Thompson bias ply tires in the past and never noticed any loss by using x-terrain radials now.

SOO SEXY....for a tire :D

It looks like a street tire on steroids that went bad. I am sure they are fine out west but here in the mud they suck. Guy in Georgia Cruisers has them and doesn't like them.

stuck in GA said:
I am sure they are fine out west but here in the mud they suck. Guy in Georgia Cruisers has them and doesn't like them.

Why would someone even consider a directional tire for mud.....red neck inbreeding cloud their mind?? I agree probably not the best for mud and snow but that's inherent with a directional tread.

Sidewall srength...comeon I've watched a guy slash a bfg mud terrain over the same pice of tree stump I rubbed aginst. Like I said a tire can only do so much. If you need more side wall strengh than what the x-terrain can provide you really shouldn't be on a radial tire.

Back to the topic though. I'd agree with demand but also market analysis. It really blows my mind that a tire for a 18 inch wheel cost so much more than the same size tire on a 16 inch wheel. How can less rubber = higher price?? Can't really say low demand in this situation because almost all new trucks and suvs come with 18 inch wheels.

Procomp tires suck. 4wheel crack whores pushes them because they OWN procrap. A buddy of mine had the MT's and they wore like crap and didn't clean well. As far as side wall strength, saying xterrains are better than BFG MT's isn't saying much. If you want a radial with sidewall strength, go with IROK's(wear quickly in radial flavor) or PJ Dirt Grips(probobly the best radial on the market durability wise, but mucho $ and heavy). Xterrains are by no means the be all end all for radial sidewall strength. You should all buy swampers and be happy.:D

Bear80 said:
Just shows how much you know.....pro comp tires are made by either cooper tire or kelly springfield, I can't remember which. In no way does 4wheel parts OWN pro comp.

Don't get all butt hurt cause I dogged out your tires. 4Wheel parts owns Explorer Procomp, Steel Horse and Genuine Steel. As for cooper or kelly making PC tires, they have these things in business called contracts. "I'll pay you $X to make tires and put my companies name on them"

Josh83 said:
Don't get all butt hurt cause I dogged out your tires. 4Wheel parts owns Explorer Procomp, Steel Horse and Genuine Steel. As for cooper or kelly making PC tires, they have these things in business called contracts. "I'll pay you $X to make tires and put my companies name on them"

"butt hurt" Not even going to get started on that. Got a friend who runs XTerrains, sexy looking tire and the best on that Pro Comp makes. There MT's are the biggest waste of rubber I've ever seen. Friend bought a J**p with them on there and wore to crap in 3 mos. Now he is trying to sell them too me for 100 bucks for 4 tires, well really 3 since one is shot to s***. XTs are good tires, not so great in mud but nice tire.

stuck in GA said:
Yeah procomps suck.

Really wasn't trying to start a thread on the merits of Procomp and if they suck or not. I just hadn't seen that they have the 325/16 size out. The only other tire I'd ever seen in a 325/16 was a Michelin XZL.

One problem you might encounter is that the tires don't really exist. I was going to give the Pro Comp Xtreme AT a try. Supposedly a good sidewall in an AT tread. I was going 315/75/16s and when I placed my order I got an email back that they were on backorder. I called to find out when. Supposedly they will make the first bunch in late Oct. or Early Nov. but the salesperson said they might not be out until April of the following year realistically. I saw this tire in a different size when I was in Oregon. It looked plenty beefy. It is more open than it appears in their ads. I was looking at a 37" on a 17" rim. The Pro Comp MTs and ATs are more when you add the road hazard than BFGs are locally for me. Plus I don't have to hassle. I drive to the tire store and get them balanced and replaced. None of this waiting on hold or waiting on a tire for days.

I have Iroks on my 40. I would not recommend them to anyone who drives a lot the rubber compound must be similar to a BFG Krawler because they don't last well. The TRXus has bad reviews for wear and for balancing. I've seen a few sets that chunked really badly. Maybe driver error but I've seen more than one set. For a radical radial I think the TSL Radial is the way to go. Tough sidewall and better wear characteristics than the Irok.

MTRs seem to have this legendary sidewall for MT tire, but I watched two of them get ripped in the sides within 10 feet of where I just climbed with my BFG MTs. Luck has as much to do with sidewalls as the strength. They also seem to wear decent. I would have probably purchased them had the 315s not been on backorder for so long.

I could personally wreck a solid rubber tire. I have that sort of luck. Probably I'd wreck a solid steel tire too. Our lava rocks shred tires. Although I've never seen them shred any TSLs.

I ended up with a really blah tire. The BFG AT in a 315. It sucks at everything except highway. But since my 80 sees a lot more highway miles than anything else I'm happy. Plus I have roadhazard. So I'll be getting new tires after every 4th wheeling trip. It is OK. I have a spare. I've been considering picking up a second spare. Then I'll be set for my tire wrecking expeditions.

Josh83 said:

I really don't care if you dog my tries. To each his own, but I really don't think 4wheel parts "own" Explorer Procomp. Even if it was a parent company, 4wheel parts is actually a subsidy of another company which I cannot recall. Bottom line 4wheel parts has no "real" say or development with Procomp products.

I agree 4wheel parts is a crap hole but I still buy a few things from them and even tires. When it come right down to it, they are local to me and offer the cheapest price and I really have never had a problem with the place or somthing I've bought from them.

For tires, the maker as you so cleverly pointed out are contracted. But if you knew anything about tires, you'd know that there is only a few rubber/tire companies. So most brands are not made by the company that the tire is sold as. So I would like to know how contracting out to another company makes the procomp tires a representation of other procomp quality and comes back to 4wheel parts??

I think a directional tire for mud is an excellent choice so long as you are not sliding on a side hilll. Just look at the videos from venezuela and the mud down there, a directional tire such as a super swamper bogger would be awesome in that stuff. Like paddles pushing you through. I have heard the Xterrains perform very well on rocks, but that's about all i know on them.

Just to let everyone know Procomp is owned by the same company as 4wheel parts. The parent company is called Trans America Auto. I'm i finance and we are currently doing a deal with them. They basically want to open a ton of new stores around the country. At the bank meeting they pushed the pro comp tires lie they were the best. I know better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom