315s on the FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
315s on the FZJ80 -- VIbes ?

On last Saturday's run, I noticed a bunch of the guys were running the Nitto Terra Grapplers, and they were recommended to me. I had a set installed yesterday at Discount Tires, but on the drive from Phoenix to Prescott (for work) I had some bad tire vibes. I took the truck into the Discount Tire here in Prescott, where they rebalanced them (the tires were run on balancer as is and found to be out of balance before any changes were made!). After this rebalance I've taken the rig on the road again and I still have some tire vibes.

My question is to the guys running the Nitto's in the 35" size: Did you have any major issues getting these tires balanced? Also, do you have vibes that you couldn't get out and you just have to live with?

The drive from Phx to Prescott was bad enough to where I couldn't take it over 60mph...

Mike

Last edited:
My 295's are very smooth, one tire only has one .75 oz weight! They should be easy to balance if not take them back untill they get it right! Have them check for an out of round tire too, I have had a bunch of BFG's that were not round, square tires suck!

Thanks Kevin for your response,

It looks like all of my tires may be square... Looking only at the outboard side of the tires, the weights on all four range from 3oz to 4.75 oz! This doesn't even include the large number of weights on the inboard side of the tires...

Mike

Something is not right, are they using the correct adapter on the balancer? Do the tires spin true when spun on the balancer? All of the Nittos and Toyos I have seen took very little weight to balance.

Well, the second time that I got them balanced the guy used a special plate (kind of like a wheel hub) that bolted through the lug holes and keeps it exactly lined up... On the stock tires I had only a very small (tiny!) vibe on the left front due to the single weight coming off

I'm going to buy a set of these on my next go round in about two weeks. I was thinking the 295/75 but don't know for sure.. What would you all run with a 2inch OME lift?

I can tell you this much... the 315s are on my rig with stock suspension for now and the clearances aren't too bad. Also the power loss of going from stock size (275/70/16s) to the 315/75/16s has been much less than I expected. Take offs from the light don't feel underpowered (I live in Flag, and the high elevation tends to sap alot of power), and the climb up from Phoenix wasn't too bad (except for the vibes...) as I was able to maintain about 65 on the big hills. As a side note, my gas milage which has varied from 12.3mpg towing up to 14.5 for highway/city mixed went up to 14.8 on highway/city mixed driving.

sonoranfun said:
I'm going to buy a set of these on my next go round in about two weeks. I was thinking the 295/75 but don't know for sure.. What would you all run with a 2inch OME lift?

I thought about 295's, but I found that 285's give a lot more choices and are easier to come by.

Go to a different branch of DTC and ask them to recalibrate their balancer before spinning up your tires.
Also, make sure they use the pin plate again, as Toyota light truck rims are truly lug-centric, and the only way to get a good balance is with a pin plate.

If you do all that, and they still take big weight and don't balance out on the truck, convince them to do a match mount for no extra cost. They'll take the tires off the rim, spin up the rims, mark the heavy spots, remount the tire, spin again, and the balancer will tell them how much to rotate the tire on the rim so the heavy spot on the tire is opposite the heavy spot on the rim. Then balance as normal. Takes forever, but well worth it, if anyone there knows how to do it. Could also tell you if you have a bent or out-of-round rim.

In case you can't tell, I used to bust tires for a living. :D

I can tell you this much... the 315s are on my rig with stock suspension for now and the clearances aren't too bad.

They will rub the rear wheel well, but it's just sidewall to frame/wheel well, no sharp edges, so very little to damage. They look good on a stock truck. How is that, oh ya, This Thead is Useless Without Pictures! :crybaby:

hj60 said:
Also, make sure they use the pin plate again, as Toyota light truck rims are truly lug-centric, and the only way to get a good balance is with a pin plate.

In case you can't tell, I used to bust tires for a living. :D

Yup, what he said... they my be trying to do the easy thing and use the spin-on cone thingie (I forgot what it's called) make sure they balance them with the hub-centric adapter.

Used to do the tire thing, too in a previous life... IT much better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom