315 in factory spare location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bobsethi.com
Searched this through but checking if anyone's found a way to mount a 315 GoodYear Duratrac in the factory spare location under the 80.

This'll be temporary for an upcoming trip all on pavement with some dirt roads.

Willing to remove factory hitch until I can sort out a swing away solution on my return.

Cheers.

Last edited:
i think it can be done with the Wits End factory tire leveler and deflate the tires to fit. Or cutoff the rear cross member will definitely fit if you plan to go 4x4 lab rear bumper anyways...

@NLXTACY sells a spare kit I used to mount a 315/6?75/16 BFG AT under my 94. It runs slightly but fits till I can get a rear bumper

Attempt to put your spare there and see if it fits, sometimes it works. First you have to define "tire" some brands are bigger than others, the other big factor is the hitch, some allow more room than others.

i think it can be done with the Wits End factory tire leveler and deflate the tires to fit. Or cutoff the rear cross member will definitely fit if you plan to go 4x4 lab rear bumper anyways...

@NLXTACY sells a spare kit I used to mount a 315/6?75/16 BFG AT under my 94. It runs slightly but fits till I can get a rear bumper

Running Toyota's auxhillary gas tank - Joey says the kit won't work with it.

Attempt to put your spare there and see if it fits, sometimes it works. First you have to define "tire" some brands are bigger than others, the other big factor is the hitch, some allow more room than others.

Original post corrected.
315 GoodYear Duratrac
Toyota installed US spec hitch

Tire Rack has the 315s max'ing at 34.6"

...but the 285s max'ing at 33.1"

Wonder if that can still squeeze in there
🤔

Toyota installed US spec hitch

This = at least three different hitches, each slightly differing. It was a port install thing, so whatever was handy?

My 285 just fits, fully inflated but touching the hitch.

Is there any wiggle room in the factory spare location?

Maybe under-inflating the spare will do the trick.

I'll be carrying a Viar compressor so inflating it won't be an issue.

It's just for this trip until I can sort out a swing-away spare tire carrier (unless I luck out before then).

You can have a spare that measures <1.75" difference from your other tires and still have no negative impact on the differential or Viscous coupler. That is information directly from a rear-end differential shop.

I have Toyo A/T 315/75/16 that measure just over 34" and my spare tire is a BFG Mud Terrain 255/85/16 that measures just over 33".

Using that type of example you will probably still be able to fit a hitch.

Similar arrangement here. 255/85/16 on a 16x6 steel with correct offset and spare leveled. No hitch but still have some room.

You can have a spare that measures <1.75" difference from your other tires and still have no negative impact on the differential or Viscous coupler. That is information directly from a rear-end differential shop.

I have Toyo A/T 315/75/16 that measure just over 34" and my spare tire is a BFG Mud Terrain 255/85/16 that measures just over 33".

Using that type of example you will probably still be able to fit a hitch.
Similar arrangement here. 255/85/16 on a 16x6 steel with correct offset and spare leveled. No hitch but still have some room.

Good to know. So I could get away with leaving the 285 spare under the 80 for the road trip? Then work out a swing away later since I'll be getting a full set of 315s plus the spare.

Still, surprised no one's managed a 315 in the stock location.

I was barely able to fit a well worn 315/75/16 mud terrain I got from another local member with the hitch installed. Once I raised/levelled my tire I had to remove the hitch to get it to fit. It could work if you're not off roading but it looks a bit goofy and impacts your ground clearance. I'm getting a swingout ASAP.

I have 315/75/16 duratracs and can confirm they do not fit in the spare location using the factory hanger and hitch. The tire would rub hard if you were able to cram it up there.

Mine is currently riding on the roof until my rear bumper arrives. I'm not happy about it for a few reasons, mainly since it's a huge pain to get up and down solo.

I was barely able to fit a well worn 315/75/16 mud terrain I got from another local member with the hitch installed. Once I raised/levelled my tire I had to remove the hitch to get it to fit. It could work if you're not off roading but it looks a bit goofy and impacts your ground clearance. I'm getting a swingout ASAP.

Goofy's a good word for it but ground clearance won't be an issue as this is temporary for this one road trip only. Swingout will be tackled on my return for the next offroad trip.

I have 315/75/16 duratracs and can confirm they do not fit in the spare location using the factory hanger and hitch. The tire would rub hard if you were able to cram it up there.

Mine is currently riding on the roof until my rear bumper arrives. I'm not happy about it for a few reasons, mainly since it's a huge pain to get up and down solo.

So it will fit using the factory hanger and hitch but will rub hard? I've measured it out and looks like it'll clear the exhaust pipe, rear axle and linkages but will be crammed into the hitch if left properly inflated.

I don't have an issue with mounting it under-inflated (carrying a compressor) or, for this trip, removing the hitch since we're not towing anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom