315/75/r16's with no lift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I'd post up some pics of my 315's with no lift.
no lift, no flares, no rub, no problem! ;)
new tires 1.JPG
new tires 2.JPG
new tires 3.JPG

looks good...................but i dont buy it ;) unless you meant just on the way home. course then again i got some 35'' summit racin mud dawgs on the 55 that only measure 33.5 mounted. I did like my procomps on the tacoma though.

I'll have to post up some pics of it flexed out on the trail. I too was amazed at the amount of clearance in those wheel wells. The front looks like it would rub, but my front springs are so sagged that it's only about 1.5" off the bumpstops at ride height, but they don't rub even when flexed out and touching the bumpstops at opposite corners.

i like it! Its a great feeling seeing your 80 on new tires isnt it?

looks good...................but i dont buy it ;) unless you meant just on the way home. course then again i got some 35'' summit racin mud dawgs on the 55 that only measure 33.5 mounted. I did like my procomps on the tacoma though.

Procomptires.com says there actual height is 34.5

I don't think they'd fit mine with no lift.

I picked up 4 used (35% tread left) 315/75/16 wildcat EXTs for $50 and some tundra steel wheels for $50 had them mounted/ballanced at walmart $40 and now they are on the FZJ80. This way I can try the larger tires and put the stock ones back on if necessary. I searched here b4 purchasing the 80 and wheeled a runner for years. I still have flares but they will go if it means I can aviod lift.

In my previous searches I could only locate info about contact at the rear of the rear flare.

If I remove the flares and fab new bumpers/sliders what is the next biggest obstacle?

It's a little bit more sluggish than it was with the 285's. I haven't regeared the axles yet so it still has the 4.10 gears in it. I will be regearing in the near future. I don't have any mileage numbers yet. I'm sure it's worse around town since the engine has to work harder to get the cruiser moving. I'll be going on a long trip on the highway in a couple weeks so I'll get back to you on highway mileage.

looks good...................but i dont buy it ;) unless you meant just on the way home. course then again i got some 35'' summit racin mud dawgs on the 55 that only measure 33.5 mounted.

me either.

Those things really only measure 33.5? Damn i thought they looked a little smaller than the last set, but dang.

more pics showing the clearance.

these pics show that there is about 1/4" of clearance between the front tire and the firewall. (note that the front left and right rear are on the bumpstops) The front tires will make contact with one of the bolt heads that holds the inner fender liner on in certain situations. This issue is not much of a problem and could probably be remedied by replacing the bolt with one that has a smooth head that doesn't stick out so far.
flexin1.JPG
flexin2.JPG

2 more pics of the front tire clearance
flexin3.JPG
flexin4.JPG

Here are some shots that show the rear tire clearance. The rear tires will gently caress the inside of the rear wheel well under full articulation. Not a problem in my opinion, just enough contact to wipe the mud off the inside of the tire.
flexin5.JPG
flexin6.JPG

I'm going to give you some free advice: lose the Warn push bar on the front. I had one on my 94 for almost ten years and a slight tap against something would push it where I could not open the hood and I would have to hammer it out. I can't even imagine what a real shot to the front would do to it.

Thanks for the advice, but this is not the first vehicle I've built by any means... I have built and wheeled over a dozen Toyotas over the years, some for competition use, so I'm well aware how crappy the brush guard is. The cheesy winch mount was on the cruiser when I bought it. I'm gonna leave it on until I put an ARB on the front so I have a place to park my winch.

Thanks for the advice, but this is not the first vehicle I've built by any means... I have built and wheeled over a dozen Toyotas over the years, some for competition use, so I'm well aware how crappy the brush guard is. The cheesy winch mount was on the cruiser when I bought it. I'm gonna leave it on until I put an ARB on the front so I have a place to park my winch.

Cool. Just making sure you know how flimsy that thing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom