315/75 R16 on your 70 series ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
If you have 315 in your 70 series, share with me your setup, wheels, and suspension .. thoughts about how they work for you ..

thanks !

David

Mine's pretty standard "35s on a 74" recipe:

Emu springs, axle moved forward one inch, 80 series rims, 1.5" spacers. Old style 315 Cooper STTs.
Marks lowered high/low range t case gears.

The setup has worked great, though if I was starting over I would go with Marks gears with the 1:1 high range. With the H55F the lowered Hi is not needed IMHO.

35337999153_6e18d7651f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Well, somewhere between 2" and 3". I don't really recall exactly how much lift I got out of those springs when they first went on, but they've sagged to the point there is most likely not more than 2" now.

I’ll be on 315/75 when I’m done putting it together. It’s on 80 series frame with 4” OME comps springs in the front.
6D296C1F-CC6D-4FBF-A5CA-4D47F3BFC9B2.jpeg

My setup is very similar to @bj70_guy

50mm Belton Suspention with an extra leaf on all 4 corners I added from a high lift spring pack I had laying around. Front axle moved forward a bit. U-bolt flip kit. 1.5" spacers with 80 series wheels. Even with the axle moved forward a bit the front mudflaps need to be tied back so the tires clear them. Marks lowered hi and low range gearset. Agreed about the high range: Could have stayed 1:1 for this tire size.

For my setup 315's are just on the edge of being too large. My front bump stops are torn up a bit from the flip kit. I could modify the front bump stops so they center on the plate and limit upward travel, as the tires hit the captive nuts and rub the inner fender on full stuff.

Considering it's a brick on 315's I am happy with the fuel efficiency of the 13BT. Grey (Toyota Land Cruiser) | Fuelly

Just realized I don't have much for current pictures that show the whole vehicle/side. I'll try and solve that today! EDIT - Pics from a day trip on Sunday.

Jan 2018-1.jpg
Jan 2018-2.jpg
Jan 2018-3.jpg

gb

Last edited:
beauty ..

care to share more details about your suspension setup .?

Front coils - 3" King Springs - ktfr-74sp3

Rear leafs - 2" Dobinsons 300kg constant - TOY-083-R

Extended rear shackles

Boss triple bellow airbags - LA09T

Adjustable panhard

30mm sway bar extensions

King 2.5" remote res adjustable shocks all round (suit 3-5" lift)

XXI adjustable caster plates (Not a direct fit)

20190115_091508.jpg

20180625_103821.jpg

Things I would do differently.

I would use different rear leafs. The dobbos ride harsh. I've had good luck with OME and Tough Dog leafs. Maybe something 3" specific instead of extended shackles.

Get lift specific radius arms instead of the adjustable caster plates.

When running completely empty, the shocks are valved a little stiff, but with a little weight, they are great. (But you can get them valved however you want).

Did you happen to know the spring rate of your front coils ..?

Dobinson have rear parabolics of 79 .. ever consider those ?

You said control arm specific .. Superior control arms .? or other options .?

Kings shocks over all others .? ( BP-51 or Dobinsons remote res )

I cant tell you the rate of my coils. I can get you wire diameter and free length of both the 3" dobbos and 3" kings if it helps. Btw the reason I replaced the 3" dobbo coils is because they both bent and were rubbing on the bump stop cones and making horrible noises.

I went to Dobinsons in Rockhampton to buy their 3" parabolics but the sales guy actually talked me out of them, stating they were having sagging issues. The choice is standard design was either 2" or 4". As I didn't want an unnessessarily high vehicle, I opted for the 2" with extended shackles.

I just meant specific arms to suit whatever lift height your going for. There are a few options including Superior, Big-O, Jmacx, Comp Rods, Superpro, Buds customs etc.

I wanted to go with OME BP51s but they are only for a 2" Lift. When comparing free lengths, they are only 35mm longer than the originals so still short even for a 2" Lift. The Dobbinson MRR shocks haven't had a great run here in Aus with a lot of them leaking early on and a lot of not so great reviews.

I originally wanted Icon 2.5s but the retailer was slow to reply and didn't even seem interested in selling them to me so I decided to try Kings. I have only put 50k Kms on them but no leaks and no complaints

There are a few more options for remote res shocks now like Fox, Rad flo, Superior, Armada, Terrain Tamer etc

I cant tell you the rate of my coils. I can get you wire diameter and free length of both the 3" dobbos and 3" kings if it helps. Btw the reason I replaced the 3" dobbo coils is because they both bent and were rubbing on the bump stop cones and making horrible noises.

I went to Dobinsons in Rockhampton to buy their 3" parabolics but the sales guy actually talked me out of them, stating they were having sagging issues. The choice is standard design was either 2" or 4". As I didn't want an unnessessarily high vehicle, I opted for the 2" with extended shackles.

I just meant specific arms to suit whatever lift height your going for. There are a few options including Superior, Big-O, Jmacx, Comp Rods, Superpro, Buds customs etc.

I wanted to go with OME BP51s but they are only for a 2" Lift. When comparing free lengths, they are only 35mm longer than the originals so still short even for a 2" Lift. The Dobbinson MRR shocks haven't had a great run here in Aus with a lot of them leaking early on and a lot of not so great reviews.

I originally wanted Icon 2.5s but the retailer was slow to reply and didn't even seem interested in selling them to me so I decided to try Kings. I have only put 50k Kms on them but no leaks and no complaints

There are a few more options for remote res shocks now like Fox, Rad flo, Superior, Armada, Terrain Tamer etc

Thanks for this info. I am seriously considering the King 2.5s or Icon 2.5s or the Troopy. What about the Icon 2.5s made you want them first?

Thanks for this info. I am seriously considering the King 2.5s or Icon 2.5s or the Troopy. What about the Icon 2.5s made you want them first?

I had a set of Icons in my 105 chassis 79 series and really liked the way it rode and handled corners

2" old man emu leafs front
2" efs leafs rear (suit vdj76) (50mm longer)
2" efs extended shackles front and rear
315/75r16 Hankook RT03 tyres
received_776632089352699.jpeg

Seems like between 3" - 4" it's what I would need for 315 ..

What vehicle are you thinking of @Tapage? Speaking from leaf spring experience only, properly sized/located bump stops, moving the front axle forward a bit and may have to adjust the knuckle stoppers to reduce tire scrub on the steering box when turning. IIRC I've also got 2.5* shims for the front caster. Steers well, but I should be running a double carden front driveshaft too, as I get vibe on decelleration above a certain speed if I leave it engaged. And there is not a lot of room on the BJ74 for a DC at the front output of the T-case due to the transmission support cross-member, though I have not tried to test fit one as of yet.

hth's
gb

Part time 4x4 and I'm not going fast enough in 4 low typically to worry about it. When in high range I just move in and out of 4wd (vacuum assist) as needed. Not ideal, but until I deal with it that's how it is.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom