30x9.5r15 on stock wheels: worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Is the 30” tire enough to support a 65 mph highway cruise with 4.11’s?

If you’ve use this tire and have pics, please share your opinions.

I really want 235/85r16 but I don’t want to buy another set of wheels.

What’s wrong with 33x10.50R15?

I’m not a fan of the sidewall bulge with the narrow wheel and I don’t want to lift the truck. I did that combo on my 60 and I didn’t like it.

It's for my 40. I also just like the look of a narrow tire. I don't expect I'll be doing much highway in it. I need to do an RPM calculator to see that numbers I'm really playing with.

@HemiAlex

You might not need a calculator. Just look up the tire you're considering on tirerack.com or whatever, and in the specs they typically list "revolutions per mile". That number times 4.11 equals engine RPM at 60 mph in high gear (1:1).

For instance, GRABBER A/TX - SIZE: 30X9.5R15LT lists 692 revs/mile. 692 x 4.11 gives you a driveshaft RPM of 2,844. 60 mph is 1 mile/minute, so if you're turning 2,844 engine rpm, you've traveled a mile. Just keep your tires inflated!

To convert to 65 mph, that would be 2,844 x 65/60, or 3,081 rpm for 65 mph.

Last edited:
Is the 30” tire enough to support a 65 mph highway cruise with 4.11’s?

If you’ve use this tire and have pics, please share your opinions.

I really want 235/85r16 but I don’t want to buy another set of wheels.
Always go skinny on tires!! and Yes, yo u can do 65 on 30'', however, its not as fun as you might think. Depending on the type of tire you buy, Bias ply (which is what I previously had) or radial, there will be a difference on how much noise the tires make on the road since there aren't many options for that size tire and pattern. I usually drove 60mph with 30x7.0in tires on interstate but it actually did sound better at 55 mph. Still A 5MPH difference shouldn't be too noticeable. By the way, the fastest I tried driving my 40 on 30'' was 80mph for about a 20 second burst on those small doughnuts. It was smooth. :steer:

I upgraded to 32 inch bias-ply 16-tires. They are 7.5 inches wide. Just the 2 inches of rubber overdrive did make a difference. That, plus the tread on my tires were less aggressive; so there was a lot less road noise. It really depends on what you want out of your land cruiser. I wanted to give mine the "world market" look so i opted out for 16 in rims. the cruiser runs really really happy at 60mph. 65 isn't bad either. They are pricey tho, which is unfortunate. But its a decision i have not regret making.

Edit: The rims are pricey for 16in rims. I think a bit over double the price for standard 15 in toyota rims. The 15 tires cost me about $95 per rubber tire. The 16in tires cost me $120-135 per rubber tire from what I remember. What ever will make you happy driving your land cruiser. Good luck!!

IMG_20190911_184251.jpg

IMG_20200306_163854.jpg

Last edited:
Always go skinny on tires!! and Yes, yo u can do 65 on 30'', however, its not as fun as you might think. Depending on the type of tire you buy, Bias ply (which is what I previously had) or radial, there will be a difference on how much noise the tires make on the road since there aren't many options for that size tire and pattern. I usually drove 60mph with 30x7.0in tires on interstate but it actually did sound better at 55 mph. Still A 5MPH difference shouldn't be too noticeable. By the way, the fastest I tried driving my 40 on 30'' was 80mph for about a 20 second burst on those small doughnuts. It was smooth. :steer:

I upgraded to 32 inch bias-ply 16-tires. They are 7.5 inches wide. Just the 2 inches of rubber overdrive did make a difference. That, plus the tread on my tires were less aggressive; so there was a lot less road noise. It really depends on what you want out of your land cruiser. I wanted to give mine the "world market" look so i opted out for 16 in rims. the cruiser runs really really happy at 60mph. 65 isn't bad either. They are pricey tho, which is unfortunate. But its a decision i have not regret making.

Edit: The rims are pricey for 16in rims. I think a bit over double the price for standard 15 in toyota rims. The 15 tires cost me about $95 per rubber tire. The 16in tires cost me $120-135 per rubber tire from what I remember. What ever will make you happy driving your land cruiser. Good luck!!

View attachment 2635785

View attachment 2635786
That’s a great reply and great looking truck.

I’m running 255/85r16 on 70 series wheels on my 60. It drives really nicely and I’m hooked on narrow tires. I can do a set of 16x6 Steelies for $500 with narrow tire and keep the highway rpm below 3,000 rpm if I try.

C38098C9-0E84-4EA8-BC1E-4820EFC00212.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom