30th Annual Rubithon 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Others should chime in, but somewhere in Georgetown or Auburn - where are you coming from? I left my rig at the Best Western in Auburn once for two months.

Alternatively, you could leave it in the Staging area on the Tahoe side of the trail, then drive your trail rig around to the start. Then when you're done, you don't need to retrieve the tow rig.

If it's your first time, run it from Loon Lake to get the classic experience. Depending on how your returning from Tahoe when your done (which would depends on where you coming from), you'll need to find a spot either on 50 to the south or in Auburn on 80 to the north of the Rubicon. There are options on both sides.

Chad, you are more than welcome to park your trailer at my house in Garden Valley. Ice House Resort also offers trailer storage and since you will be going in via Loon, also a good option. If you want to park it on the Tahoe Side (where you will likely be exiting, we can usually find a few places to stash them.

Never to early!
I'm getting excited and trying to plan out my trip. Maybe a little early, but can you blame me?!? As a first-timer that is going to trailer his rig up, where would you recommend leaving it? My 4Runner does have plates, but it's not totally street legal (tires stick out past the fenders by a lot & no mud flaps). My thought was to see if a hotel would let me park there for a week, but I'm not sure which side I should be on. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm getting excited and trying to plan out my trip. Maybe a little early, but can you blame me?!?

If it's your first time, run it from Loon Lake to get the classic experience. Depending on how your returning from Tahoe when your done (which would depends on where you coming from), you'll need to find a spot either on 50 to the south or in Auburn on 80 to the north of the Rubicon. There are options on both sides.

I am planning on coming in Loon Lake. I'm just trying to see if there is a better option than leaving the tow rig at loon lake. I guess I will be driving the trail rig the same distance no matter where I park, though. I just need to decide if I'm driving longer before or after the event!

Chad, you are more than welcome to park your trailer at my house in Garden Valley. Ice House Resort also offers trailer storage and since you will be going in via Loon, also a good option. If you want to park it on the Tahoe Side (where you will likely be exiting, we can usually find a few places to stash them.

Never to early!

I appreciate that, Eric! I figured that you would be on the trail all ready by the time that I got there. Are the local cops accepting of wheelers on the roads? Maybe I am over-thinking this. LOL! I looked into Ice House Resort, but I think they charge $15 per day to park there. That would end up being another $90!

If you go from Loon Lake and drop at Chad's or at Ice House and do the whole trail, you'll come out at Lake Tahoe and you'll have to drive around on highway 50 back to you rig. And you should expect no quarter from the Calif Highway Patrol. The other option is to run back out via Loon Lake. But I wouldn't drive a non road legal rig on a Calif highway. Off highway 50, driving Ice House Road or Wentworth Springs I think you're okay.

If you go from Loon Lake and drop at Chad's or at Ice House and do the whole trail, you'll come out at Lake Tahoe and you'll have to drive around on highway 50 back to you rig. And you should expect no quarter from the Calif Highway Patrol. The other option is to run back out via Loon Lake. But I wouldn't drive a non road legal rig on a Calif highway. Off highway 50, driving Ice House Road or Wentworth Springs I think you're okay.

I guess I should be more specific on the rig. It's street legal-ish. At least in Oregon, I would only get a ticket if the cop wanted to be a dick. It has all the appropriate lights, wipers, glass, plates, etc. It just violates the mud flap laws:
IMG_20180116_222504_408.jpg

27072620_10156157056523658_1153626609016115863_n.jpg

I think you're okay. I see rigs like yours on the road all the time. I thought you were talking about something clearly not road legal. If they stop you, just play 'i'm from Oregon'.

I guess I should be more specific on the rig. It's street legal-ish. At least in Oregon, I would only get a ticket if the cop wanted to be a dick. It has all the appropriate lights, wipers, glass, plates, etc. It just violates the mud flap laws:
IMG_20180116_222504_408.jpg

27072620_10156157056523658_1153626609016115863_n.jpg
Wheel it! You can make some booty fab mud flaps for the rear if your worried about it. From my house, you could go up WWS to Loon and never hit the highway until the trip back down from Tahoe. Mine is on 37 and no mudflaps either.... or shoulder harness for that matter and never an issue. Besides, it's just a fix it ticket even then.

I leave my house way early on Tuesday morning and drop in from Tahoma, so no worries if you chose to park you stuff at the house. Heck, go up Monday night and stop at Uncle Tom's Cabin on the way up. As far as you are coming you might as well see all there is to enjoy!

You can always leave your trailer at the loon lake staging area, follow the group all the way to the overlook area on the last day, then turn around and go back the way you came. That’s what we do! The remaining
Wheel it! You can make some booty fab mud flaps for the rear if your worried about it. From my house, you could go up WWS to Loon and never hit the highway until the trip back down from Tahoe. Mine is on 37 and no mudflaps either.... or shoulder harness for that matter and never an issue. Besides, it's just a fix it ticket even then.

I leave my house way early on Tuesday morning and drop in from Tahoma, so no worries if you chose to park you stuff at the house. Heck, go up Monday night and stop at Uncle Tom's Cabin on the way up. As far as you are coming you might as well see all there is to enjoy!

trail from the overlook to Tahoe is dusty and not much of a challenge. Good luck!

But you wont have trail support other than just the other users going out that way

Finally get to reveal this year's Rubithon event T-shirts. This year we chose to honor and showcase Greg Leal's FJ40. Greg is the only person to have never missed a Rubithon.

Special thanks to Shannon Chard for again knocking our shirt design out of the park!

Just 2 more days to get your registrations in for the extra grand prize raffle ticket for February!

rubithon18_back_CLEAN_blank.jpg

I am planning on coming in Loon Lake. I'm just trying to see if there is a better option than leaving the tow rig at loon lake. I guess I will be driving the trail rig the same distance no matter where I park, though. I just need to decide if I'm driving longer before or after the event!

I appreciate that, Eric! I figured that you would be on the trail all ready by the time that I got there. Are the local cops accepting of wheelers on the roads? Maybe I am over-thinking this. LOL! I looked into Ice House Resort, but I think they charge $15 per day to park there. That would end up being another $90!

FWIW - I'm not any sort of expert. I've been there a grand total of once. My take is this: the parking is limited on the Tahoe side at the parking lot, but there is parking there for trailers. Just not a ton of them. If I were bringing my FJ40 - pretty similar to your crawler in capability I'd guess - I'd probably just park a trailer at Loon Lake. Go in from Loon all the way. Then just take a day on maybe Friday? and run up Cadillac hill and explore the trail out toward Tahoma. Maybe even explore a few other side trails out that way. And come back to the springs area that night again. Then drive back out on Sunday to your trailer at Loon via the trail. I'll be pretty close to point and shoot for you in that setup. And there will be at least a handful of other people doing the same thing. Plus you can skip the congestion on sunday morning at cadillac hill.

If I were going to drive the street around - then I'd want the trailer at the end, not at the beginning. It's a long day if you're wanting to drive out Sunday, load up, and drive home. Adding the distance from Tahoma all the way back to Loon, then turning around and driving back to south tahoe again would have added something like 3 more hours of driving to an already long day. I'd try to find somewhere on the tahoe side to leave the tow rig if you're going to go one way through.

FWIW - I'm not any sort of expert. I've been there a grand total of once. My take is this: the parking is limited on the Tahoe side at the parking lot, but there is parking there for trailers. Just not a ton of them. If I were bringing my FJ40 - pretty similar to your crawler in capability I'd guess - I'd probably just park a trailer at Loon Lake. Go in from Loon all the way. Then just take a day on maybe Friday? and run up Cadillac hill and explore the trail out toward Tahoma. Maybe even explore a few other side trails out that way. And come back to the springs area that night again. Then drive back out on Sunday to your trailer at Loon via the trail. I'll be pretty close to point and shoot for you in that setup. And there will be at least a handful of other people doing the same thing. Plus you can skip the congestion on sunday morning at cadillac hill.

If I were going to drive the street around - then I'd want the trailer at the end, not at the beginning. It's a long day if you're wanting to drive out Sunday, load up, and drive home. Adding the distance from Tahoma all the way back to Loon, then turning around and driving back to south tahoe again would have added something like 3 more hours of driving to an already long day. I'd try to find somewhere on the tahoe side to leave the tow rig if you're going to go one way through.

That seems like sound advice... I think I like the idea of finding a spot on the Tahoe side to stash the truck and trailer. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Tahoe side fills up by Wed. typically. I like to drop the tow rig & trailer at lunch time, cruise to South Lake for dinner, hit Loon late afternoon for a swim and a nice fire. If fire restrictions are in place the Loon North Shore campground is a nice spot for the last fire before hitting the trail. The Tahoe side has a large staging area that fills up but there are spots off the road before the parking area if its full. The drive from Tahoma to South Shore in the rig is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom