30k, yay or nay? (Fan clutch fluid) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can't imagine New Mexico being any hotter than Texas and certainly not as humid as Deep East Texas. 20K cst AND a properly serviced and working cooling SYSTEM works fine for me. I could see 30K in parts of Arizona or other climates that see summertime temps consistently in the 110°F + range, but sounds a little much for most folks other places.

Agreed. Prior to my engine rebuild, I didn't have any temperature issues, and the PO said he never had temp issues. I did throw a RD radiator in during my rebuild, but that is just because I am a fan of RD, and I prefer the all aluminum construction. My fan setup is completely stock and original. I have zero problems with cooling. 100 degree weather, pulling mountain passes, slow crawling, interstate travel - you name it - I don't have any over-heating issues.

Can't imagine New Mexico being any hotter than Texas and certainly not as humid as Deep East Texas. 20K cst AND a properly serviced and working cooling SYSTEM works fine for me. I could see 30K in parts of Arizona or other climates that see summertime temps consistently in the 110°F + range, but sounds a little much for most folks other places.
The humidity actually seems to make it easier to keep a vehicle cool. Not quite sure why, since the thermal capacities of humid air and dry air actually are not that different.

My n=1 experience: the S/C'd '93 used to live in Baton Rouge; 30k in the blue clutch on the advice of Tools R Us; no problem with engine temps, ever. When it moved to Phoenix, it didn't take long for temperature issues to show up. And that was in May/June (2018) when it wasn't even really hot.

We addressed it by re-working the cooling system (TYC radiator, new thermostat, water pump overdrive pulley, new stock 80 fan blade instead of the 2FE fan), and actually left the fan clutch alone...

I'm struggling to rock crawl when it's hot outside, my engine temp climbs up to ~227 deg F. I've replaced almost everything in the cooling system, see Hot temps when crawling. I'm thinking 30k fluid could help put me over the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom